Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 05:07 PM

7 posts, read 26,780 times

Advertisements

OK, so you all know what is the best place to live in LA. And you can all give advice based on given criteria, like "budget", or "vibrant", or "good shopping", or "nice community", or "good schools"...

I'm not rich, I'm not poor. What I'm able and willing to pay for housing, also depends on what I feel I get back, in terms of vibe, beauty, safety, shopping, dining, family friendliness, transportation etc. etc.

So, I'm looking for the place to live in LA that is the best buy. The golden middle road. The ideal balance between what you pay and what you get. What would you say is the place, the best value for money neighborhood in LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 05:18 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,487,613 times
If such a place existed, the prices would get bid up until it wasn't a good value anymore.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:30 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,151,655 times
Exactly what EscapeCal said, everything is priced exactly at its value. When someone says a place is overpriced, what they really mean is for them it is overpriced, obviously it is priced right for others.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:31 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,291,827 times
Best value will be determined by what you find valuable.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:02 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,707,622 times
Keep in mind that the L.A. area has a very small middle-class, relatively speaking. It's very much a city and metro area of rich and poor, and if they're not poor, they're often struggling to make ends meet.

Where Did They Go? The Decline of Middle-Income Neighborhoods in Metropolitan America - Brookings Institution

Old 12-10-2009, 06:46 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,850,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboPrawn View Post
What I'm able and willing to pay for housing, also depends on what I feel I get back, in terms of vibe, beauty, safety, shopping, dining, family friendliness, transportation etc. etc.
Does this mean that if you think you get back more (vibe, beauty, etc), you are able to pay more? How does that work? Are your earnings somehow related to what you get back from the community? I'd be interested in that mechanism. "Able" and "Willing" are two different things.

With that, what can you afford?

Old 12-10-2009, 08:25 AM

Default Willing and able

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Does this mean that if you think you get back more (vibe, beauty, etc), you are able to pay more? How does that work? Are your earnings somehow related to what you get back from the community? I'd be interested in that mechanism. "Able" and "Willing" are two different things.

With that, what can you afford?
Ok, first of all: ability of course has its limits, like most people I can't just earn as much as I wish.

But when people discuss what they can pay for housing, it's like they don't take into consideration what they get. "So, you can pay 1200 - then this is where you will live". Even if it's not worth it...

For me, it's like how far you are willing to stretch: If I found a really nice place, I would be willing to work extra hours to be able to live there.

I started this thread not just to get personal advice, but to invite a general discussion on which places in LA that are "balancing", the in-between spots between where you don't want to live and where you can't.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:32 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,291,827 times
And you will have more money if you don't live in the hood because you won't have to spend so much money getting gunshot wounds fixed!

Old 12-10-2009, 08:32 AM

Default Class struggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Keep in mind that the L.A. area has a very small middle-class, relatively speaking. It's very much a city and metro area of rich and poor, and if they're not poor, they're often struggling to make ends meet.

Where Did They Go? The Decline of Middle-Income Neighborhoods in Metropolitan America - Brookings Institution
You might have hit the point that I'm struggling to make: Is there a nice, middle-income neighborhood in L.A?

I'm not so sure how to define class, but defining income might be the easiest way to deal with these issues. And, true, many struggle to make ends meet, now even the ones that used to be quite well off, having stretched their abilities beyond their limits.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboPrawn View Post
OK, so you all know what is the best place to live in LA. And you can all give advice based on given criteria, like "budget", or "vibrant", or "good shopping", or "nice community", or "good schools"...

I'm not rich, I'm not poor. What I'm able and willing to pay for housing, also depends on what I feel I get back, in terms of vibe, beauty, safety, shopping, dining, family friendliness, transportation etc. etc.

So, I'm looking for the place to live in LA that is the best buy. The golden middle road. The ideal balance between what you pay and what you get. What would you say is the place, the best value for money neighborhood in LA?
First of all, all you referring to Los Angeles proper or the metro area? Secondly the usual question, what are you thinking of in terms of home budget and do you have a family to consider? All these questions will make a difference as to what would be best for you.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles