Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 01:12 AM

21 posts, read 74,429 times

Advertisements

"education and refinement are important in nyc. not soo much in LA. it's fame and glamour i guess"

Again I'm seeing the same thing happening here -- associating L.A. with the Westside -- and I should add Hollywood to that -- fame and glamour are more important in certain ways in the Westside of L.A. County (and Hollywood)., such as Burbank, Westwood, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Bel Air -- mostly wealthy areas where much of the movie industry is. I grew up in the San Gabriel Valley (Pasadena) in L.A. County where life is much more grounded in reality (if that makes any sense, it's hard to explain) and education was considered VERY important. Downtown L.A. is something entirely different in its own right altogether from these areas I mentioned. Ditto for Malibu (in spite of the presence of movie actors residing there).

Last edited by da8509; 02-23-2010 at 01:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 01:23 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da8509 View Post
"education and refinement are important in nyc. not soo much in LA. it's fame and glamour i guess"

Again I'm seeing the same thing happening here -- associating L.A. with the Westside -- and I should add Hollywood to that -- fame and glamour are more important in certain ways in the Westside of L.A. County (and Hollywood)., such as Burbank, Westwood, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Bel Air -- mostly wealthy areas where much of the movie industry is. I grew up in the San Gabriel Valley (Pasadena) in L.A. County where life is much more grounded in reality (if that makes any sense, it's hard to explain) and education was considered VERY important. Downtown L.A. is something entirely different in its own right altogether from these areas I mentioned. Ditto for Malibu (in spite of the presence of movie actors residing there). These are just my own personal honest opinions.
I think you have a good sense of LA. And I have never been in NYC but will as soon as this summer I guess having read some posts by New Yorkers I got the impression that status was real important than even LA. I know first hand that areas like Beverly Hills don't even like seeing guys like me [latino teen].

Old 02-23-2010, 08:59 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,918 times
Default "Equal"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
I want the perspective of Los Angeles natives, specifically.
The whole concept of trying to quantify an entire city, for comparative purposes of "better"-ness, is bizarre.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:20 AM

21 posts, read 74,429 times
Perhaps I'm stereotyping West L.A. too much, but I just mean that L.A. is a VERY diverse place, even though most people from elsewhere associate it with West L.A (and Hollywood), where the movie and TV industries thrive.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:48 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da8509 View Post
Perhaps I'm stereotyping West L.A. too much, but I just mean that L.A. is a VERY diverse place, even though most people from elsewhere associate it with West L.A (and Hollywood), where the movie and TV industries thrive.
Good point. I enjoy watching "Entourage"\ HBO [fast life\ women\ weed] knowing I'll never live there nonetheless.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:08 PM
R66

145 posts, read 419,856 times
Native Floridian here. Born/reared east central coast. Lived SoCal 1989-1996. We see New Yorkers in Florida all the time. Saw em out in LA. What do I think? Most are loud, selfish, over-bearing, fat, rushy, pushy people. They talk to much and their accent makes me vomit. All my friends are Floridians, Angelenos, Latinos and Brazilians. My native Angeleno buddies wish New Yorkers would leave California and go back to New York. Native Floridians connect with native Angelenos... Don't know why, but we do.

If you are from New York -- PLEASE STAY THERE.

My 2 cents

Have a nice evening everyone!

Old 02-24-2010, 11:47 PM

8 posts, read 11,213 times
NYC is cool but there's always people every where unless you live up state but then it's country. Plus look at the weather ch. NY is getting bombed by snow. I really like LA. The weather is great and people are just so much more friendly. Work here is tough but I guess thats every where now a days. LA is the only place where you can go surfing. Head North and go snowboarding. Hit the dessert and ride dirt bikes. I guess you can say in Cali you can do anything you want. Traffic is hell here tho. If I had to pick I would saw LA all day. West side till I die hahahaha

Old 02-25-2010, 12:03 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,068 times
New York and Los Angeles are completely different places and I wouldn't have it any other way. To me, it wouldn't be nearly as interesting if America's second largest city was just a smaller version of New York. The fact that NYC's main "competition" offers such a radically different environment, lifestyle, and landscape, creates a much more interesting dynamic. Unlike New York vs. Chicago, Los Angeles and New York complement each other more so than compete with each other.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:30 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,895,855 times
In Los Angeles you can ski and surf on the same day. In New York, to do the same thing you would need to fly to Florida and maybe Vermont. If you have the money Manhattan is nice but if you have the money to live in Manhattan you can probably afford a beach house in Malibu or a home in the Hollywood Hills and that lifestyle is also pretty damn nice too.

But if you compare the slums of LA vs the slums of NYC, I think I would much rather live in Compton or East LA than say some crappy neighborhood in Queens. The weather here is just much nicer.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:19 PM

18 posts, read 46,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
I got up this morning at 4 am and walked on the beach. After a little while, I put my dog in the car and we drove(windows down)into the mountains. Hiked for a couple hours, and just got home to Burbank. I'm about to leave and get some amazing fish tacos. Once I eat those delicious tacos, I'm going to head to the Farmer's market to soak up some sun and shop for some fresh, local produce. Once I leave, I'm going to drive down to Long Beach to walk around the beach and visit the aquarium. After I get tired of the fish, I'm going to drive into Los Feliz, and grab some food at an outdoor cafe. To finish my night, I'm going to catch the Light Festival at Griffith Park.

Can you do that in NYC today?
That's why LA has the potential to really overshadow NYC as a more liveable city in the future when LA gets its act together and balances out the car driving part with more mass transit options.

Nowhere in the world can you get the diversity of geography, culture, and experiences like you can in such a densely populated melting pot/tossed salad like LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles