Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 05:30 PM

981 posts, read 806,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
what exactly are you comparing when talking about LA and NYC? what factors are being discussesd? what would equal mean?

the question is very vague.
furthermore, i think most people consider NY as only being manhattan (completely disregarding the other burroughs) thats just ignorant.

its hard to compare the two cities.
i rarely think about NY, other than when i think of friends out there.

there is no reason to compare the two cities. they are both alpha cities. both centers of somthing, fashion, entertainment, money, plastic, whatever. they both have great and NOT SO great qualities.
I just wanted the persepctive of LA people. I left it free for them (us) to interpret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 05:36 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
LA is completely different from NYC. LA has been changing ever since New Yorkers came in. They're gentrifying LA and trying make the city similar to the east coast.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
LA is completely different from NYC. LA has been changing ever since New Yorkers came in. They're gentrifying LA and trying make the city similar to the east coast.
Then they must be stopped at once.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:07 PM

78 posts, read 193,548 times
both cities are unique and every ****ing city has culture, just because a city doesnt have massive amounts of tall ass skyscrapers doesnt mean its a major important city. Take Paris and Italy for example.. both dont have a lot of tall skyscrapers.. they may not even need those and they still are a major city in the world. NYC is NYC and LA is LA. what i love about both is that their both totally different.

Los Angeles has many theme parks: Disneyland, Knott's berry farm, universal studios, six flags maybe more. There's the Nokia Plaza(No we do not think it is Times Square west, its just Nokia Plaza), Universal Citywalk, and Hollywood Blvd. Griffith Observatory. LA has the Santa Monica Pier. Downtown is becoming revitalized. And Los Angeles' nightlife is amazing. and YES Los Angeles does have subways and lightrails, maybe not like NYC but still, it counts.

NYC has Times Square, Central Park, Chinatown and A LOT MORE.(Never been there so i dont know much haha)

Both are amazing cities. Both have a lot of city lights and tall buildings(although NYC has wayyy more)

New Yorkers dissing other cities just shows how immature they can be, and i know there are the good modest new yorkers but the ones who are hating at all these other cities doesnt make you any better as a person. learn to see the good things in every city and appreciate what it has to offer. GROW UP.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:13 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,385,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay619 View Post
both cities are unique and every ****ing city has culture, just because a city doesnt have massive amounts of tall ass skyscrapers doesnt mean its a major important city. Take Paris and Italy for example.. both dont have a lot of tall skyscrapers.. they may not even need those and they still are a major city in the world. NYC is NYC and LA is LA. what i love about both is that their both totally different.

Los Angeles has many theme parks: Disneyland, Knott's berry farm, universal studios, six flags maybe more. There's the Nokia Plaza(No we do not think it is Times Square west, its just Nokia Plaza), Universal Citywalk, and Hollywood Blvd. Griffith Observatory. LA has the Santa Monica Pier. Downtown is becoming revitalized. And Los Angeles' nightlife is amazing. and YES Los Angeles does have subways and lightrails, maybe not like NYC but still, it counts.

NYC has Times Square, Central Park, Chinatown and A LOT MORE.(Never been there so i dont know much haha)

Both are amazing cities. Both have a lot of city lights and tall buildings(although NYC has wayyy more)

New Yorkers dissing other cities just shows how immature they can be, and i know there are the good modest new yorkers but the ones who are hating at all these other cities doesnt make you any better as a person. learn to see the good things in every city and appreciate what it has to offer. GROW UP.
I didn't know Italy was a city (I'm assuming you mean Rome).

However, the rest of your post is spot on. Why can't people just appreciate LA and NYC for what it is

Old 12-22-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I didn't know Italy was a city (I'm assuming you mean Rome).

However, the rest of your post is spot on. Why can't people just appreciate LA and NYC for what it is
Because only one must reign supreme in the US!

Old 12-22-2009, 07:28 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,385,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
Because only one must reign supreme in the US!
Most LA natives, including myself, already told you:

If NYC wants to be #1, fine by us. It makes no difference in our lives. It's not like the #1 city gets a medal. I lived in NYC and didn't really like it, but it doesn't mean that its a bad city. It's just not for me.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:54 PM

49 posts, read 116,927 times
Default uhm?

I agree, your off topic. At no point in your post did you mention, the fact, that being called Dude is both disrespectful and insecure. Both qualities, of which, are indicitive of the LA population. Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
A graduate with a degree in English, I presume, and you compose a post like that? Are you sure you just don't mean the diploma was written in English?

But, I digress. No, I am not a New Yorker, as I mentioned in post #5.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:37 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Most LA natives, including myself, already told you:

If NYC wants to be #1, fine by us. It makes no difference in our lives. It's not like the #1 city gets a medal. I lived in NYC and didn't really like it, but it doesn't mean that its a bad city. It's just not for me.
I haven't visited NYC yet but look forward to that day since I have relatives in the Bronx. But New York seems so cold [not just the long winters but all the buildings & hardly any trees].

Old 12-28-2009, 09:11 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,762,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy2 View Post
I agree, your off topic. At no point in your post did you mention, the fact, that being called Dude is both disrespectful and insecure. Both qualities, of which, are indicitive of the LA population. Dude!
Lighten up and get off your high horse you smug b****. Jk...but seriously..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles