Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2009, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,989 times

Advertisements

in summer 2011 me and my family of are planning on moving to los angeles, ca.
my mom is a professional singer and book author and my dad is a carpenter and drummer. we have 3 properties [2 houses and an apartment] that we could potentially sell. 2 of the houses are high quality. I am 15, my little sister is 7 and my little brother is 3 but we will be 17, 9 and 5 years old when we move. We live in Dublin, Ireland. We would like to move to a nice place around the los angeles [good] area. In the long run, we are not looking for a rent, but a house and will basically have a fair amount of money.

What are the steps we have to take to move?
Saleeya Dunphy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 01:01 PM

890 posts, read 2,785,764 times
Property value has dropped in Ireland too if I recall correctly.
That said, estimate amount of said property value.

Then I would suggest you create a spreadsheet of the median house for at least a 4 bedroom houses in 10 or so cities around los angeles. Keep track of the number at least quarterly, so that at the end of 2 years, you have an idea of how much prices moved up or down. Bonus is to track other statistics such as school performance, and crime levels.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:54 PM

694 posts, read 1,233,333 times
Also, traffic is pretty heavy in LA, it's convenient and green to live close to work/school.

Of course, housing can be expensive here so it needs to fit your budget. To make a budget it might be helpful to establish
the main sources of income first. Ask yourself such questions, are your parents looking to earn a living mainly by performing, your father's carpenter work or your mom's writing? What if it takes a while to land work?

You will be about college age then, what college do you want to attend? Look into tuition fees. Also, your siblings will need good schools. The previous post addressed the technical aspect of searching for good school areas.

Try to connect with Irish immigrants groups here, they might provide valuable input. Do a google search on LA Irish, for example, and see what you get.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:19 PM

71 posts, read 130,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saleeya View Post
my mom is a professional singer and book author and my dad is a carpenter and drummer. we have 3 properties [2 houses and an apartment] that we could potentially sell. 2 of the houses are high quality. I am 15, my little sister is 7 and my little brother is 3 but we will be 17, 9 and 5 years old when we move. We live in Dublin, Ireland. We would like to move to a nice place around the los angeles [good] area. In the long run, we are not looking for a rent, but a house and will basically have a fair amount of money.

Saleeya Dunphy
I was born here and raised here in LA. But what I can't understand is why some successful folks from Ireland would ever think of uprooting from their home country and coming to California during one of the worst economic downturns in recent history.

Before moving to the States you should do more research. Pour through terabytes of data concerning different cities and different countries. The local politics. Government. Economy. Cost of living. Quality of life. Standard of living. Housing. Crime. Racism.

If you can do all of this first before moving to California and you still haven't found a better place then you would know for sure that California is suitable for you. If not; Then move elsewhere or stay in Ireland where you family Doctor and Dentist are located at. But I guarantee you that if you only look at other places first. I'm sure you will find some place else which will catch your eye.

What's wrong with Geneva Switzerland for example? Or how about Belgium or even the Netherlands. Even Canada is better off than California right now. I'm sure something would catch your eye.

I'm just trying to save you from making a mistake you might regret. California seems to be going down and you might go down with it like a sinking ship.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:39 AM

40 posts, read 94,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saleeya View Post

Saleeya Dunphy
If I ever moved back to CA (LA area) I would go back to south Torrance, or the Palos Verdes Pennisula. Or even south Redondo Beach area. Nice clean areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles