Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 11:41 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,560,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I wonder if LA's freeways are the among the most curviest and narrowest ones in the nation? Are there other states/cities in the U.S where it's even worse?
LA freeways are a breeze compared to what you find back east in New York, Philly, etc. Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=empsArTbbRI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 11:47 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
LA freeways are a breeze compared to what you find back east in New York, Philly, etc. Example:

Could you feel the humidity through the monitor? I bet that road's tons of fun in the winter.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:49 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,560,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Could you feel the humidity through the monitor? I bet that road's tons of fun in the winter.
Haha yeah. Driving back east is no fun. California has some great freeways.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:11 PM

687 posts, read 1,119,960 times
Quote:
I have been driving for 10 years but I admit I'm not a great driver; I usually drive inside streets and I can handle the 405 freeway in OC but that's because it's mainly straight.

When I drive to LA I get SO scared when the freeways curves, I have to slow down to 40MPH on the curves on the 605n or the transition to the 5N from the 605n (you know what I'm talking about? it spreads into two lanes to separate from the 605N and it curves like crazy). Also the 101N curves really bad especially at certain areas where it goes under the bridge. I think if you drive the 101 a lot you will know what I'm talking about, it curves while going under some type of bridge or overpass and it is scary.

I drive REALLY slow down at the curves, I feel like if I go faster than 40mph I will go into the wall and crash or lose control and I'm sweating and sitting up straight the whole time without being able to lean back in my chair because I am so tense.

I feel like the cars behind me want to RUN ME OFF THE ROAD because I'm going soooo slow at the curve but I feel like if I go faster I am going to get in an accident. I don't feel comfortable going any faster at the curve. I feel like everyone behind me is ANGRY at me for going so slow but I am only going so slow because that's all I can handle, I can't maneuver the car around a curve any faster!

Anyone else have this problem?
My advice is for you to stick to the surface roads if you can't handle the freeways with curves because you become a danger to everyone including yourself by suddenly slowing down if you go way below the speed limit and not going with the flow of traffic. It's like being behind someone that suddenly slows down to make a turn and doesn't signal first. Very dangerous to everyone. My mother knew better than to go on the freeways because she became a nervous nellie. She would just drive surface streets and never went too far from home. My Dad was the freeway driver. I have been driving the freeways since I was given a license and never had a problem except with speeders or timid drivers which are both dangerous in my opinion. Hope you find a safe solution.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:33 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,960,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post

That two-way lane in the beginning looks pretty bad It's sort of like the 5 going towards the 101 but a bit worse. I would never drive on the left hand side on that road.

At around 2:38 when you can start seeing downtown Philadelphia it looks a LOT like the 101 Freeway. That part going under the tunnel is scary
I would never drive through a tunnel. Princess Diana died in a tunnel in Paris I heard that particular tunnel is scary too.

I think those Philadelphia freeways are much worse than LA freeways. Why is there just two lanes for such a long period of time? It seems like the exits are sharp and the curves are pretty crazy. I didn't know it could be worse than LA freeways. I would never drive out of state so I wouldn't know. I can only drive in areas that I'm very familiar with, I cannot drive in strange places where I don't know how the road will be in advance or where the exits are.

Have you ever driven LA freeways NYMTAN?

Old 02-08-2010, 05:01 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,172,108 times
Well, we tried to help.
But you keep saying you will never do this, you will never do that, you will never feel safe on strange roads, etc.
Your problem is fear and lack of confidence.
Untill you overcome that fear, nothing anyone says on this post is going to help.
You seem to have a phobia and I don't say that to be mean to you.
We all have a fear of something. Yours just seems to be a fear of driving.
My main concern is that you or someone else may be injured do to your fears that cause you to drive or react in way that is not expected by other drivers and cause an accident.
No one wants to see you or anyone else get hurt.
Being a caring type of person I feel sorry for you and wish I could give you some lessons that would give you some more skills and confidence.
I've driven all kinds of vehicles from cars, trucks, buses, tow trucks in all kinds of weather for 47 years. I could help you learn to be a better driver with more confidence. I had a CDL class A license for years and driving in any conditions or areas never intimidated me. Driving anything just seemed to come natural to me.
But neither I, or anyone else can help as long as you have made up your mind that you can't do it and are afraid to try.
Driving anything and anywhere just feels natural to me. Some never get to that point.
You may be one of them. You ain't the only one.
Roads are roads. Curves are curves. Moving traffic is moving traffic whether it's slow or fast or light or heavy. It's the same everywhere. A strange road or area isn't something from outer space thats never been negotiated before. There is no road in this country you can't drive if you pay attention and adjust your driving habits to fit the conditions.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:59 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
I have been driving for 10 years but I admit I'm not a great driver; I usually drive inside streets and I can handle the 405 freeway in OC but that's because it's mainly straight.

When I drive to LA I get SO scared when the freeways curves, I have to slow down to 40MPH on the curves on the 605n or the transition to the 5N from the 605n (you know what I'm talking about? it spreads into two lanes to separate from the 605N and it curves like crazy). Also the 101N curves really bad especially at certain areas where it goes under the bridge. I think if you drive the 101 a lot you will know what I'm talking about, it curves while going under some type of bridge or overpass and it is scary.

I drive REALLY slow down at the curves, I feel like if I go faster than 40mph I will go into the wall and crash or lose control and I'm sweating and sitting up straight the whole time without being able to lean back in my chair because I am so tense.

I feel like the cars behind me want to RUN ME OFF THE ROAD because I'm going soooo slow at the curve but I feel like if I go faster I am going to get in an accident. I don't feel comfortable going any faster at the curve. I feel like everyone behind me is ANGRY at me for going so slow but I am only going so slow because that's all I can handle, I can't maneuver the car around a curve any faster!

1. Make sure that your car has good brakes AND tires. And that the tires have good air pressure at all times.

2. Do some autocross events to learn how to handle your car and gain confidence in your driving.

Is your car a FWD one? I suspect that you are braking a lot during these highway curves, and that's actually not a good idea.

Seriously, please do some autocross events with your local car clubs. Google up SCCA and BMWCCA for the chapters in your area.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:31 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,825 times
Quote:

Although I live in NYC, I couldn't help but find your question/dilemma very interesting. Our freeways here are known for their narrow lanes and sharp curves. There are sections of freeways here in which the curves are so tight that lane changes are illegal for the duration of the curve! But to tell you the truth you shouldn't be scared of them. I personally find them very fun and I often find that it is actually better to give the car a little gas (Especially when leaving the curve). They key is to turn your steering wheel so that it mimics the angle of the curve and ease into it. It just takes practice. But whatever you do DON'T SLOW DOWN TOO FAST especially if there's cars behind you...very dangerous. If you think your entering the curve too fast just take your foot off the throttle and use the steering wheel to maintain control. Hope that helps!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:58 PM

110 posts, read 124,149 times
I once got into Center City in 35 minutes on the Schuylkill, it was crazy, traffic was actually moving. It was in the middle of the afternoon on a Wednesday too. The guy who made that video up there must have driven it on a weekend or a holiday, cause it never moves like that during the week. It's usually bottle-necked and moving 5mph or less.

Anyway to the OP, you should come to Philly and drive the Schuylkill and the Vine Street Expressway. If you can handle those 2 roads, you can handle any highway in California, I guarantee it.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:14 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,960,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Well, we tried to help.
But you keep saying you will never do this, you will never do that, you will never feel safe on strange roads, etc.
Your problem is fear and lack of confidence.
Untill you overcome that fear, nothing anyone says on this post is going to help.
You seem to have a phobia and I don't say that to be mean to you.
We all have a fear of something. Yours just seems to be a fear of driving.
My main concern is that you or someone else may be injured do to your fears that cause you to drive or react in way that is not expected by other drivers and cause an accident.
No one wants to see you or anyone else get hurt.
Being a caring type of person I feel sorry for you and wish I could give you some lessons that would give you some more skills and confidence.
I've driven all kinds of vehicles from cars, trucks, buses, tow trucks in all kinds of weather for 47 years. I could help you learn to be a better driver with more confidence. I had a CDL class A license for years and driving in any conditions or areas never intimidated me. Driving anything just seemed to come natural to me.
But neither I, or anyone else can help as long as you have made up your mind that you can't do it and are afraid to try.
Driving anything and anywhere just feels natural to me. Some never get to that point.
You may be one of them. You ain't the only one.
Roads are roads. Curves are curves. Moving traffic is moving traffic whether it's slow or fast or light or heavy. It's the same everywhere. A strange road or area isn't something from outer space thats never been negotiated before. There is no road in this country you can't drive if you pay attention and adjust your driving habits to fit the conditions.
Me driving the LA freeways was only a two time thing. I don't go there on a regular basis. I have only had to drive there probably 4x in my 31 years of existence on this earth.

I don't like to go out much really and I'm pretty much always home since I work from home. I really have no need to drive to new places and such much these days so don't worry, you are all safe!

I live in HB and the farthest I drive is to Costa Mesa (South Coast Plaza) or Irvine (Irvine Spectrum) and I feel very comfortable driving to those places.

I only went to LA twice for certain reasons but I won't have to do it again and I don't enjoy going out to begin with so I'm pretty much always home. I am just a homebody.

LA freeway curves won't be a problem for me because I don't have any future reasons of going there (It was just a two time deal). That's it!

My driving these days is contained within a 2 mile radius; to the grocery store, post office, bank (20 seconds down the street) and that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles