Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:09 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times

Advertisements

A life experience note regarding posted "safe speeds" on interchanges and certain curves. Those are generally for semis. However, the taller the vehicle, the better to pay heed. For some taller SUVs I would not recommend exceeding the recommended "safe speed" by more than 10 MPH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 11:22 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,974 times
I drove to LA again last nite and I was able to pinpoint the exact parts of the freeways that bothered me the most, it was NOT the 405 or 605...

it was the 5N heading towards the 101N and the 101 N towards Los Angeles..... THOSE were the ones that I found very different than the OC freeways....
Also, especially the parts where you go under a bridge on those freeways....

If there is anyone else here from OC can you please tell me if you find a big difference between the 5N and 101N heading towards Hollywood compared to OC freeways? Was it difficult for you to adjust??

Old 01-21-2010, 01:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Jackie,

Just stay to the far right and we will be friends forever. lol

Old 01-21-2010, 01:16 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,999 times
just drive

Old 01-21-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Jackie,

Just stay to the far right and we will be friends forever. lol
Have you ever driven on the 5N towards the 101N and then towards Hollywood??

Yes, I usually stay on the right but sometimes I am forced to go to the left because the fwy merges.. for example to go to the 101 from the 5 you have to stay in the left lanes...

Also going back home, the 405 is towards the left side...

I always get scared when there are only TWO lanes that you need to be on in order to transition in order to merge to another freeway because I feel like everyone is on my back to hurry up and go faster even tho I go the speed limit, it seems like everyone is going faster...

EVERYONE that lives in OC has to take the 5n to 101n in order to get to LA right? I wonder if there is another route or if that is the only way?

Old 01-21-2010, 03:15 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
What about taking the 5N to the 10W and the into the 110N. Would that help? You could still get to where you want to go, your just south of Downtown from there. We usually drive the PCH to the 10E and head up the 110N to get downtown. Also if you wanted to head to the West side you could stay on the 10W and take the Santa Monica Blvd exit heading North.

I know what you are saying about the 5 to the 101 changeover. I am used to it though. I think if you drive it more you will get used to driving it. Just takes time.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:10 PM

35 posts, read 100,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Have you ever driven on the 5N towards the 101N and then towards Hollywood??

Yes, I usually stay on the right but sometimes I am forced to go to the left because the fwy merges.. for example to go to the 101 from the 5 you have to stay in the left lanes...

Also going back home, the 405 is towards the left side...

I always get scared when there are only TWO lanes that you need to be on in order to transition in order to merge to another freeway because I feel like everyone is on my back to hurry up and go faster even tho I go the speed limit, it seems like everyone is going faster...

EVERYONE that lives in OC has to take the 5n to 101n in order to get to LA right? I wonder if there is another route or if that is the only way?

Everyone IS on your back.
Everyone IS pushing you to go faster.

This is L.A. NO ONE drives the speed limit.

You have been going on and on about the fast curves for six pages now. GET OFF the highway and take the streets. Drivers aren't going to slow down and neither are the highways going to suddenly change and turn into twelve lane, super-straight highways.

Theres plenty of highways in SoCal for you to find an alternate route to L.A. it will take longer to get here, but I doubt that will be a problem for you. Get a map. Try not to kill someone in another car, who actually DOES know how to drive, because of stubborness.

Last edited by kingbulldog; 01-21-2010 at 04:18 PM..

Old 01-21-2010, 09:11 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,397 times
Quote:
I have been driving for 10 years but I admit I'm not a great driver; I usually drive inside streets and I can handle the 405 freeway in OC but that's because it's mainly straight.

When I drive to LA I get SO scared when the freeways curves, I have to slow down to 40MPH on the curves on the 605n or the transition to the 5N from the 605n (you know what I'm talking about? it spreads into two lanes to separate from the 605N and it curves like crazy). Also the 101N curves really bad especially at certain areas where it goes under the bridge. I think if you drive the 101 a lot you will know what I'm talking about, it curves while going under some type of bridge or overpass and it is scary.

I drive REALLY slow down at the curves, I feel like if I go faster than 40mph I will go into the wall and crash or lose control and I'm sweating and sitting up straight the whole time without being able to lean back in my chair because I am so tense.

I feel like the cars behind me want to RUN ME OFF THE ROAD because I'm going soooo slow at the curve but I feel like if I go faster I am going to get in an accident. I don't feel comfortable going any faster at the curve. I feel like everyone behind me is ANGRY at me for going so slow but I am only going so slow because that's all I can handle, I can't maneuver the car around a curve any faster!

Anyone else have this problem?
You yourself cite that you are NOT a great driver...May I suggest you go back to driving school and take a brush up class and also explain to the instructor about your fear of highway curves so you can practice with a professional....Before you hurt yourself and maybe kill others!

Old 01-24-2010, 03:23 AM

2,224 posts, read 772,298 times
Quote:

Well, everyone probably is on your back to hurry up. Did you know that even if you're going the posted speed limit, you can still get a citation for impeding traffic by going slower that the flow? Yeah, it's true. It's like a reverse speeding ticket, although you're more than likely to just get a warning than an actual ticket.

Not to sound really snarky but how in the world did you get your license? Last I checked, merging, going with the flow, parallel parking, etc. were all a part of the driving test.

You admit you're not a strong driver and you don't seem to know much about your own car. You say you're a scaredy-cat driver but drivers like you scare the heck out of most of the rest of us.

As for EVERYONE in OC taking the 5n - not true. I avoid the 5 fwy as much as humanly possible. I go to LA/Hollywood/Santa Monica/etc. a lot. I usually take the 91 to the 110 to downtown LA area and the get on the appropriate freeway from there. Distance-wise it's a bit longer but driving time/traffic-wise, it's faster. There's also the 57 to the 60. Might not be the best choice but there are alternatives to the 5.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphyre View Post
Not to sound really snarky but how in the world did you get your license? Last I checked, merging, going with the flow, parallel parking, etc. were all a part of the driving test.
I got my license 14 years ago in OC. For the test I did not have to parallel park in a narrow spot, all I had to do was park against a curb in a residential neighborhood. It was a curb with no cars, it just an empty, isolated curb so there were no cars there, just me! I can easily park against a curb if there is no one else there. That's very different than having to navigate your car in a narrow parking spot between two other cars. It's not a big deal because I would rather pay $10 and park in a garage or park somewhere else and walk to where I need to go. There has never been a life or death situation where I was "forced" to park between two cars. If you look hard enough there are always options. You'll probably just have to walk further or pay which is no big deal.

I also did not have to go on the freeway for my dmv test. I only had to drive inside streets. I probably had to change lanes but I don't remember having to merge anywhere since we didn't need to go on the freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles