Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:29 PM

58 posts, read 141,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom17 View Post
San Fernando would be the perfect city for you. It's got at least two Catholic Schools (St. Ferdinand and look the other up at L.A. archdioses website) and it is a very nice and safe hispanic community. You can walk and not feel scared. It is it's own city and is kept up well. It's located about 25 miles north of Los Angeles. Don't move to Los Angeles. You want a suburb.

I agree with Tasksgirl. I live in the San Fernando Valley and grew up here so I know. Look into San Fernando or North Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 09:28 PM

422 posts, read 1,819,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post

No offense to anyone's culture, but when I read Latino-themed editorials or stories, whether in English or in Spanish, what I hear is "let's not lose our culture".

The very fact of what you have stated above is that you recognize that SOMETHING has already been lost.

Also, it seems that you fear that whatever is left of the Latino culture in your family will be diluted even more if you don't move to a "Latino" neighborhood.

I'm sorry, but I would have to agree with Fontucky and others......what you want is going to be found in Mexico or along the Mexican border.

Would you advise the poster looking for a Jewish neighborhood in L.A. to move to Israel?

Last edited by Cubancoffee; 02-16-2010 at 09:39 PM..

Old 02-17-2010, 03:07 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
i was thinking about that same thread and other ones as well!!! oh CC you are quick!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubancoffee View Post
Would you advise the poster looking for a Jewish neighborhood in L.A. to move to Israel?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:21 AM

11 posts, read 31,291 times
No that is not the case. WE want to move to a hispanic community because WE are sick of being Discriminated against where we live you know maybe it wont be any diffrent if WE were to move to caily but whos to know. And becuase we want to be around our culture there is nothing wrong with that! I do know this if L.A. or Caily for that matter is anything like you guys then check me out if i want to deal with jugemental asswholes i stay in this peace of crap state! WE are looking at diffrent states for the ovious reasons good luck to you and everyone eles in Caily but we are going eles where. We will find our community it is out there i have already found one but were there is people there will always be violence so i guess in that department i will have to get used to it. There is only one place in that is not violent or hate feed and that is heaven. Thank you anyways
good bye.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:36 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erebos View Post
No that is not the case. WE want to move to a hispanic community because WE are sick of being Discriminated against where we live you know maybe it wont be any diffrent if WE were to move to caily but whos to know. And becuase we want to be around our culture there is nothing wrong with that! I do know this if L.A. or Caily for that matter is anything like you guys then check me out if i want to deal with jugemental asswholes i stay in this peace of crap state! WE are looking at diffrent states for the ovious reasons good luck to you and everyone eles in Caily but we are going eles where. We will find our community it is out there i have already found one but were there is people there will always be violence so i guess in that department i will have to get used to it. There is only one place in that is not violent or hate feed and that is heaven. Thank you anyways
good bye.
I hope you read this.

I grew up in Southern CA, as a white person, and as a Hispanic person (one parent of each). I've experienced discrimination there, by Hispanics (because I wasn't "Mexican enough", because my Spanish was imperfect, because I was white) and by whites (because I was Mexican). Racism is very rare in Southern CA, but it's not non-existent, and it still hurts when it does happen.

I live in Denver now (which also has a large Hispanic population), I've been discriminated at here, mostly by whites (but it's fairly rare).

When I lived in Spokane (which as you know, has a very small Hispanic population), I never once was discriminated against. I don't know what to chalk that up to.

Everybody's experience will be different, what's good for one, won't be for another. Attitude is 90% of the battle.

Have you looked at other places in WA? If you think you're more apt to "fitting in" around other Hispanics (this goes completely against my moral code, however), you should look into:

Moses Lake
Connell
Tri-Cities (Richland, Pasco, Kennewick)
Yakima
Walla Walla
Othello
Quincy
Wenatchee/East Wenatchee
Omak

All seem to have what you are looking for, and are affordable.

I wish you luck down this dubious path.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:45 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,875 times
I would move to Texas. We live in a suburb just outside of Dallas. You can find affordable housing, good schools and jobs!!! Imagine that!!
I am Mexican by the way, although not Catholic, but the town I am in is quite diverse religion-wise.
Send me a private message and we can chat!

Old 02-24-2010, 03:39 PM

28 posts, read 77,097 times
All things considered, it sounds like you might have better luck in Albuquerque......
1) VERY inexpensive cost of living. With your price range you can afford to rent a nice HOUSE in a nice neighborhood, not an apt. Which means you can keep your dogs.
2) HIGH concentration of hispanics/latinos.... about 40% of the total population of ABQ
3) the culture here is very hispani-fied (i dont know the real term, sorry).....we even have Spanish as one of our official languages
4) plenty of Catholic schools

Old 02-25-2010, 01:32 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,485,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubancoffee View Post
No, I wouldn't. I would invite them to look for a place that has a synagogue or a choice of synagogues nearby.

Truth be told as I am seeing it, the OP puts A LOT of conditions on what she wants.

I think it is far more important for the sake of her kids that she finds a decent neighborhood with friendly, kind people of whatever ethnicity, than that she finds a neighborhood where they make a big production of the "Day of the Dead". I would say that many Hispanic people would agree with me. A number of immigrants that I have known have taken pride in NOT living in Santa Ana (I have no axe to grind against it; I worked there for nine years), which is the most heavily Hispanic/Latino/Mexican/etc. city in Orange County, and one of the most in California (certainly first among cities over 100k).

Old 02-25-2010, 08:47 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erebos View Post
Ok thank you. Maybe i should have been more
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]Specific [/SIZE][SIZE=3]as to what kind of Hispanic community we want. A place that speaks Spanish and celebrates the Mexican holidays such as, Dia de los Muertos….ect somewhere that shows the Mexican culture would be ideal. Someone on here said that the budget would have to be 1700 would that be in a cultural part or no? And what did you mean about the pritivit schools i didnt undersatind that.[/SIZE]
For the price range and all the latin culture that ur looking for, u may wanna head all the way south until you past San Diego

Old 02-25-2010, 09:18 PM

492 posts, read 1,150,104 times
Erebos, I agree with many that LA and many Californian cities are very expensive. However, here in Houston rent is a lot less expensive. You will be able to find a very nice apartment for that amount. In addition, you will find pretty much everything you are looking for and more. There are many Catholic schools and the Hispanic culture here is very strong and politically well represented. There are many Hispanics who are new immigrants and there are many who have been here for generations.
I agree with you that it is very important for children while in their formative years to receive the right messages and to identify with their background and be proud of it. The foundation has to be strong, later they can have luxury to choose the level of involvement in their culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles