Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 11:05 AM

7 posts, read 33,903 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I recently moved to LA and my husband and I live in Sherman Oaks. He works in Calabasas and I work in Encino. Right now the commute is relatively easy. Starting 3/1 we are moving to Westwood because we really want to check out another area of LA but still not be too far from the valley for work. Please give me some details on the commute from Encino or Calabasas to Westwood. Is it really as bad as people say? Also we will be coming to the valley in the mornings and heading back to Westwood in the evenings and I heard the real trouble is the other way around. Please be as detailed as possible. Thanks.

PS. We really like Westwood, and really just wanna live somewhere else other than the valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 11:30 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
encino won't be bad as it's just over the hill, but your husband's commute to calabasas won't be fun. the 101 out in the west valley is bad in both directions due to the number of jobs in woodland hills as well as thousand oaks. he could take the canyon roads from PCH. this will be more scenic, but will also probably take longer.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:59 AM

736 posts, read 2,295,456 times
I don't blame you guys for wanting to live in Westwood as it is certainly more interesting than the Valley (disclaimer: I grew up in the SF Valley so I get it).

To the extent there is a "reverse" commute in LA you will benefit from the direction you are heading. That said, BrinSM's comment above is accurate, IMO. The west 101 can get bad in the mornings given the job density in Warner Center/Woodland Hills and Thousand Oaks. Again, there are people that do the Calabasas to Westwood commute DAILY and this is WORSE than what your husband is planning to do (i.e., the opposite direction).

So I say go for it and enjoy living in Westwood. People endure far worse commutes. You might as well live where you want to live. In Westwood, the summers are pleasant, air quality is BETTER, and nightlife/cultural activties far more varied than the SF Valley.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:39 PM

Default which area in westwood

Thanks for the input, I was looking at apartments at 3 locations, is one any better than the other?

Kelton and Santa Monica and
Corinth and Tennesee or
Beloit and Ohio

Old 02-16-2010, 03:18 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
the second and third options are a bit too close to the freeway for me, but are walking distance from all of the japanese shops/restaurants on sawtelle if you're into that kind of thing. there's not much on santa monica near kelton, so you'd be driving everywhere, but there is easy freeway access for your commutes.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:48 PM

12 posts, read 96,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrit22 View Post
I recently moved to LA and my husband and I live in Sherman Oaks. He works in Calabasas and I work in Encino. Right now the commute is relatively easy.
Out of curiosity, how long is your commute to Encino and your husband's commute to Calabasas right now from Sherman Oaks? I'm relocating later this year and took a 9-5 job in Woodland Hills--trying to gauge how far I can live with a tolerable commute. Thanks!

Old 02-24-2010, 08:41 AM

Oh that commute is a breeze, I have to be at work in Encino at 7:30, I leave at 7:00 in the morning and I stop for coffee at 7/11, and I'm always early, my husband's commute to Calabasas from Sherman Oaks is also pretty easy if he leaves before the 7:30/8:00 rush. I used to drive him every morning leaving around 7 and getting to Calabasas and back was a breeze. Woodland Hills is even closer so if you got a place as far as Studio City you would have a fairly easy commute. Happy Searching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles