Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 11:28 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,397,608 times

Advertisements

Right off, I would think a degree in engineering would offer you many job opportunities but that may not be true. Are you comfortable working for the government? They are always hiring engineers & have great benefits.

Honestly, I don't think you will have problems with racism in California & esp in the cities. To even crack a racist joke will mean instant criticism & could cost a person their job. I am really sorry to hear that racism is considered OK in Texas Maybe one of the reasons it isn't racist in California is that the state has so many different races\ ethnic groups that it all seems to balance out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 07:22 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,800,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I am really sorry to hear that racism is considered OK in Texas
I got a feeling it isn't considered OK. Anybody that works in a corporate environment is pounded in the head with "training" (another word for liability release) on sexual, racial, and religious harassment. In fact, today's corporate world is so diverse that any racial joke would have to be told fairly discretely. Not implying it doesn't happen, but this is 2010 not 1955.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:19 AM

848 posts, read 2,128,664 times
Geez.

I moved back to Houston because I felt San Diego, under the surface (and even on), is far more colonialist and racist. 5 years after, I still love being back in H-town.

Ethnic districts are more in the open in Houston. Houston ELECTED THE FIRST EVER GAY MAYOR in the USA! Hello!

San Diego is just a reactionary tourist trap, celebrating whitebread culture more than anything. No pride in Chicano Park. WTF. Houston is PROUD of Project Row.

Go figure.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Right off, I would think a degree in engineering would offer you many job opportunities but that may not be true. Are you comfortable working for the government? They are always hiring engineers & have great benefits.

Honestly, I don't think you will have problems with racism in California & esp in the cities. To even crack a racist joke will mean instant criticism & could cost a person their job. I am really sorry to hear that racism is considered OK in Texas Maybe one of the reasons it isn't racist in California is that the state has so many different races\ ethnic groups that it all seems to balance out.
You native Californians (or the like) really think that Texas is the same old? Houston is one of the most diverse cities in the United States, on par with Chicago, LA and NY.

There's a BIG difference between Houston and, say, Vidor. Yeah, Vidor has some real racists.

Houston in general has a more mixed social climate than most of LA and San Diego, from what I've personally seen living in SoCal for almost 5 years and exploring all around.

Downtown Houston, a popular nightlife area, has a mix, real mix of blacks, white yuppies and Latinos in equal parts when doing the clubs and bars.

And we're not talking touristy Disney town either.

Those upscale white racists of the south Orange County to north San Diego County area creep me out MORE than any hick in Madisonville, Centerville and Corsicana, Texas! They can be out and out friendly...or out and out cold-shouldered. No pretense.

You want some real rednecks? Look at the Inland Empire or eastern parts of San Diego.

I've heard "Filipino a--hole" literally come out of the mouths of supposedly modern Southern Californians at a Starbucks near Laguna/Capistrano environs. I've never heard a Texan say that.

And I'm of Asian descent. By the way, on a drive from Houston to Dallas, there were actually Asian girls working the burger stand in Madisonville. People are nice in the small Texas towns along I-45 and I-10. More remote towns far, far from the beaten paths like Post, TX would scare me, I must admit.

Last edited by worldlyman; 03-19-2010 at 08:45 AM..

Old 03-19-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2009 View Post
I am originally from New York. Moved to texas a year and a half ago. But I find it really difficult to go along with these people here. The attitude, the roads the people- everything is just - W R O N G .

Maybe its' because i am from new york , but still I don't think anyone who was not brainwashed at a young age would think this way. I see racists every day at my work here in houston. It's just dicouraging and depressing. I have to talk and be on their level to keep my job.it's a bizzare world down here. I work at a production company assembling computers/servers. Couldn't find a engineering job for which i went to school for, so had to take up the first job that i got . it was either this or being on the streets...

But I am done. These people are completely insanely ignorant and just not in touch with reality. I hear racist talk shows on radios , people trying to oppress people of other races every day at work. I guess I am a progressive and this is not the state i want to be in .
I was googling some places and it seems Los Angeles is just beautiful. (I heard The prices are steep ) But i really don't care as long as I can be around some sane people.

Where can i live in california that has some good sane people and has progressive mentalities , people that are past all the race stuff and are actually loving to each other ( not brainwashed and talking non-sense ) ? please give me some feedbacks. Thanks.
Did Houston ever tear itself up over race?

Unlike Los Angeles in the late 1960s and early 90s? Race riots tore the place up!

In the early 20th century, there were no signs in Houston that said, "No dogs or Chinese allowed."

In the early 20th century, there were signs in California cities that said, "No dogs or Chinese allowed."

Houston is actually seen as the model of modern multi-cultural resonance. Houston is right up there with Los Angeles in the top 3 as far as foreign consulates.

What other cities have street signs in Chinese and Vietnamese? Why are Asians flocking from LA to Houston? http://articles.latimes.com/2007/dec...l/me-houston21

What other city is designated "open" for illegals?

Houston is not progressive? Where have you been? Houston only elected the first gay mayor ever in the USA, as far as major cities.

Houston is not progressive? Let's see. Only 5 US cities carry Pacifica Radio. Houston IS one of them!

But I see. When New Yorkers who are unhappy in Houston need to vent, they resort to bias and use the racist card. As if NY isn't a cauldron of segregated neighborhoods.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
You native Californians (or the like) really think that Texas is the same old? Houston is one of the most diverse cities in the United States, on par with Chicago, LA and NY.

There's a BIG difference between Houston and, say, Vidor. Yeah, Vidor has some real racists.

Houston in general has a more mixed social climate than most of LA and San Diego, from what I've personally seen living in SoCal for almost 5 years and exploring all around.

Downtown Houston, a popular nightlife area, has a mix, real mix of blacks, white yuppies and Latinos in equal parts when doing the clubs and bars.

And we're not talking touristy Disney town either.

Those upscale white racists of the south Orange County to north San Diego County area creep me out MORE than any hick in Madisonville, Centerville and Corsicana, Texas! They can be out and out friendly...or out and out cold-shouldered. No pretense.

You want some real rednecks? Look at the Inland Empire or eastern parts of San Diego.

I've heard "Filipino a--hole" literally come out of the mouths of supposedly modern Southern Californians at a Starbucks near Laguna/Capistrano environs. I've never heard a Texan say that.

And I'm of Asian descent. By the way, on a drive from Houston to Dallas, there were actually Asian girls working the burger stand in Madisonville. People are nice in the small Texas towns along I-45 and I-10. More remote towns far, far from the beaten paths like Post, TX would scare me, I must admit.
Thanks for the info & I am not surprised by the pretense of Orange county [it did vote for McCain btw]. Being latino, I have encountered some prejudice in Huntington Beach but mainly wanttabee gangster idiots drunk & wanting to fight. Mainly it's surfer territory issues. I think one of the reasons there really aren't many rednecks is that it is too expensive for uneducated people to live in California & where they do live it is full of Latinos A person would need to be very discrete to talk racist. Even La Raza is limited to Mexican intellectuals at CSULA. It's the same with gays. Homophobes are a joke nobody wants to be associated with in my school.

I've heard great things about Houston. So it was surprising to read about the racism. Hope that was mainly out in the sticks stuff. To be honest, bro, Texas does have a negative reputation but that is changing nicely.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:46 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,977,018 times
Houston can't be that bad. Its the 5th or 6th biggest city in the country. I think the place were you work is filled with bigots. If you switch to a different place, I doubt it will be the same. Just because LA is diverse doesn't mean there aren't plenty of racist...most of the gang wars are due to race. Mexicans v Blacks. Mexicans v Salvadorians. Armenians vs Russians and thats just SoCal. I have no idea in NorCal. The CA weather is too diverse to go into detail unless you know which portion of the state you want to live in. Irvine has alot of tech jobs and its a great city.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
Did Houston ever tear itself up over race?

Unlike Los Angeles in the late 1960s and early 90s? Race riots tore the place up!

In the early 20th century, there were no signs in Houston that said, "No dogs or Chinese allowed."

In the early 20th century, there were signs in California cities that said, "No dogs or Chinese allowed."

Houston is actually seen as the model of modern multi-cultural resonance. Houston is right up there with Los Angeles in the top 3 as far as foreign consulates.

What other cities have street signs in Chinese and Vietnamese? Why are Asians flocking from LA to Houston? Little Saigon lays roots in Houston - Los Angeles Times

What other city is designated "open" for illegals?

Houston is not progressive? Where have you been? Houston only elected the first gay mayor ever in the USA, as far as major cities.

Houston is not progressive? Let's see. Only 5 US cities carry Pacifica Radio. Houston IS one of them!

But I see. When New Yorkers who are unhappy in Houston need to vent, they resort to bias and use the racist card. As if NY isn't a cauldron of segregated neighborhoods.
I think you may be over-reacting. Clearly what you are pointing out is encouraging & what one would expect from a city the size & importance of Houston. You are quite aware of the diversity & have provided good info. The discussion is not meant to be a put-down on Houston.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2009 View Post
I am originally from New York. Moved to texas a year and a half ago. But I find it really difficult to go along with these people here. The attitude, the roads the people- everything is just - W R O N G .

Maybe its' because i am from new york , but still I don't think anyone who was not brainwashed at a young age would think this way. I see racists every day at my work here in houston. It's just dicouraging and depressing. I have to talk and be on their level to keep my job.it's a bizzare world down here. I work at a production company assembling computers/servers. Couldn't find a engineering job for which i went to school for, so had to take up the first job that i got . it was either this or being on the streets...

But I am done. These people are completely insanely ignorant and just not in touch with reality. I hear racist talk shows on radios , people trying to oppress people of other races every day at work. I guess I am a progressive and this is not the state i want to be in .
I was googling some places and it seems Los Angeles is just beautiful. (I heard The prices are steep ) But i really don't care as long as I can be around some sane people.

Where can i live in california that has some good sane people and has progressive mentalities , people that are past all the race stuff and are actually loving to each other ( not brainwashed and talking non-sense ) ? please give me some feedbacks. Thanks.
I lived in Texas for years and the only real racist people I even encourtered were a few blacks I works with and for that had transferree to Dallas from NYC. Overall it is no more racist than anywhere else, especially Houston..Talk about diverse, I think you just elected a gay mayor, am I right? Now, that being said, if you really want diversity and progressive life I would suggest either Los Angeles of the bay area. I would suggest this time you get the job before you move, not after like you apparently did when you left NY City. Why did you leave New York, was it not progressive enough for you? and yes, the cost of living in Los Angeles will be almost double what it is in Texas, from housing prices to income tax to the cost of insurance and gas. Now, if you are willing to pay the price to live in Ca it might be a good place for you. Just don't think you will escape all racism. BTY, I never heard a talk show host on a local station in Texas that was a racist or made racist remarks. Whould you care to name some of them? Maybe you are a little to sensitive.

You mentioned you will have a thousand or so saved before you move; that won't even get you to Calif or hardly anyway. You will need that much just to pay rent up from, utilitiy deposits, insurance, etc. If I were you I would take a long look at what you have in Houston and think twice about relocating.
Nita

Old 03-19-2010, 06:58 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,619,498 times
Re: Texas, I have some Texan friends and they say that being gay is acceptable nowadays in Houston, Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, and San Antonio -i.e. almost all of Texas' large cities (oddly, nobody seems to know whether it's acceptable in El Paso or not - mainly because I don't have any Texan friends from El Paso). In the small towns and cities, and some of the medium sized cities like Waco and Amarillo, there's still a very homophobic atmosphere, but there are many small towns and some small and medium sized cities in California that are very homophobic. How gay friendly is Bakersfield? Modesto? Stockton? Tracy? San Joaquin? San Bernardino? Not gay friendly at all.

If we're talking about big states like California and Texas it's difficult to make generalizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles