Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 01:44 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,572 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles Stadium

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 04:18 PM

736 posts, read 2,296,020 times
I am on record for stating I wish the NFL would STAY OUT OF Los Angeles. In truth, that stadium is NOT in Los Angeles but in the City of Irwindale about 30 miles east of downtown LA.

The National Football League are masters at pick pocketing money from the taxpayers to build stadiums that host about 8 games a year. My understanding is that this venture is PRIVATELY funded. So I won't complain but I really don't care for the location.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
I am on record for stating I wish the NFL would STAY OUT OF Los Angeles. In truth, that stadium is NOT in Los Angeles but in the City of Irwindale about 30 miles east of downtown LA.

The National Football League are masters at pick pocketing money from the taxpayers to build stadiums that host about 8 games a year. My understanding is that this venture is PRIVATELY funded. So I won't complain but I really don't care for the location.
That's what I was thinking...there might be more support because your tax money isn't going to it.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:57 PM

305 posts, read 771,450 times
I am in favor of it, but I would prefer that it were built somewhere in Downtown.

This particular stadium is being built with private money however and has a pretty good shot of getting built.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:40 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,439,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
Its actually in the City of Industry. It is probably the most unique city in Southern California. Industry only has 800 residents and was incorporated to be a tax haven. The city has no business tax and survives off of its commercial tax. There aren't many expenses when a city has only 800 residents.

The city zoning is 92% of the city is industrial, 7.5% commercial, and just .5% residential. 80,000 people work in City of Industry, which is also a designated "Foreign Trade Zone" meaning it is an island operating outside the US Customs Department. It reduces regulation and businesses avoid certain Custom duties, fees, taxes, regulation, etc...

Due to a lack of residents within the city to oppose the stadium, getting city approval was easy. For the football stadium, 60 residents voted in favor and one resident against! Neighboring Walnut and Diamond Bar aren't too happy though.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:47 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J._in_L.A. View Post
I am in favor of it, but I would prefer that it were built somewhere in Downtown.

This particular stadium is being built with private money however and has a pretty good shot of getting built.
I wish the NFL would help rebuild the Coliseum so that fans could take the train to football games downtown and not have to travel way out into the east San Gabriel valley. But if the stadium is going to be built I will be happy to go to the City of Industry for a game. But when will it finally be built? 5, 10 years away?

Old 03-21-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I wish the NFL would help rebuild the Coliseum so that fans could take the train to football games downtown and not have to travel way out into the east San Gabriel valley. But if the stadium is going to be built I will be happy to go to the City of Industry for a game. But when will it finally be built? 5, 10 years away?
Maybe next year if the plans form the Vikings fall through.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:10 PM

450 posts, read 1,407,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
There is a public transit alternative for the stadium in Industry too.

Metrolink has its "Industry" station on the "Riverside Line" pretty much adjacent to where the stadium is planned to be built. Currently the "Riverside Line" does not operate on weekends because it mainly serves commuters during the weekdays. However on days there are home football games and large special events, Metrolink plans to operate service on the line to get people to games. Trip time from Union Station/Downtown L.A. to Industry station is 35 minutes. Trip time from Downtown Riverside to Industry station is 45 minutes.

At Union Station, Metro Rail and the other Metrolink lines can connect to this train.
A resident in Hollywood for example could catch the Metro Red Line subway to Union Station and then connect to the Metrolink train and be at the football game in just under an hour. A resident in South LA could hop on the Metro Blue Line and connect to the Metrolink train to get there.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:58 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I am all for it if it cost the people nothing, a private organization pays for it as some have said is the case, and they can get a team to move here.

theterribleone, You stated that the Vikings might make the trip to LA? Not a fan but could become one if they decide to move out here.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:11 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
There is a public transit alternative for the stadium in Industry too.

Metrolink has its "Industry" station on the "Riverside Line" pretty much adjacent to where the stadium is planned to be built. Currently the "Riverside Line" does not operate on weekends because it mainly serves commuters during the weekdays. However on days there are home football games and large special events, Metrolink plans to operate service on the line to get people to games. Trip time from Union Station/Downtown L.A. to Industry station is 35 minutes. Trip time from Downtown Riverside to Industry station is 45 minutes.

At Union Station, Metro Rail and the other Metrolink lines can connect to this train.
A resident in Hollywood for example could catch the Metro Red Line subway to Union Station and then connect to the Metrolink train and be at the football game in just under an hour. A resident in South LA could hop on the Metro Blue Line and connect to the Metrolink train to get there.
Sweet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles