Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:30 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,250,592 times

Advertisements

Besides Craigslist what other sites are good for apt. searching. Specifically older complexes with just a few units. I hate giant newer complexes with 100+ units. Right now I live in Seattle in a 1907 apartment with just 8 units. I love it. It has large bay windows, crown molding and hardwood floors. That is sort of what I'm looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 03:33 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,939,627 times
WWW.APARTMENTGUIDE.COM WWW.APARTMENTS.COM WWW.FORRENT.COM STAY AWAY FROM COMPANIES THAT WANT TO CHARGE YOU TO SEE A LIST OF APARTMENTS THAT ARE FOR RENT IT IS A SCAM...WHEN YOU SIGN UP THE ONES THEY ADVERTISED TO GET YOU TO JOIN ARE NOT AVAIL AND YOU MAY UP WITH MAYBE ONE OR TWO LISTINGS IN BAD AREAS.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:50 AM

215 posts, read 475,449 times
Hey pwright its ChrisLA from SSP, what part of LA are you looking to move?

There is one area a friend of mind lives in that centrally located within the city of LA. Its a pretty decent area, and also diverse with no really majority of any race. Although you do see a lot of Ethiopians hanging out in the Starbucks. Personally I love this neighborhood, and if I didn't own a place already, it certainly would be an neighborhood in the city I would seriously consider. Its around La Brea avenue, and just south of Olympic Blvd.

Many of the apartment units are small in this neighborhood, so it could be what you're looking for. Also I would check out the areas north of Wilshire Blvd to about 3rd Street, and La Brea west to about Fairfax. This area is walkable/dense with some really historic and beautiful apartments with a lot of character. There are also a lot of restaurants, and shopping, movies, etc. The Grove and Farmers Market is nearby, along with the Beverly Center. I would say anywhere around the LA County Museum of Art/LA Brea Tar Pits would be a cool area to live in.

Here is just an example of an apartment in my friends neighborhood. Although in this (Orange Drive) picture the grass looks a little brown, but I can assure you its this area is well manicured, and even this building and landscaping is well kept from what I remember. In fact I was in that area last week, and it didn't' look like this.
1094 S. Orange Drive, Los Angeles California - Google Maps

350 S. Cloverdale Avenue , Los Angeles California - Google Maps

600 S. Cochran Avenue , Los Angeles California - Google Maps

Old 03-14-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
Hey pwright its ChrisLA from SSP, what part of LA are you looking to move?

There is one area a friend of mind lives in that centrally located within the city of LA. Its a pretty decent area, and also diverse with no really majority of any race. Although you do see a lot of Ethiopians hanging out in the Starbucks. Personally I love this neighborhood, and if I didn't own a place already, it certainly would be an neighborhood in the city I would seriously consider. Its around La Brea avenue, and just south of Olympic Blvd.

Many of the apartment units are small in this neighborhood, so it could be what you're looking for. Also I would check out the areas north of Wilshire Blvd to about 3rd Street, and La Brea west to about Fairfax. This area is walkable/dense with some really historic and beautiful apartments with a lot of character. There are also a lot of restaurants, and shopping, movies, etc. The Grove and Farmers Market is nearby, along with the Beverly Center. I would say anywhere around the LA County Museum of Art/LA Brea Tar Pits would be a cool area to live in.

Here is just an example of an apartment in my friends neighborhood. Although in this (Orange Drive) picture the grass looks a little brown, but I can assure you its this area is well manicured, and even this building and landscaping is well kept from what I remember. In fact I was in that area last week, and it didn't' look like this.
1094 S. Orange Drive, Los Angeles California - Google Maps

350 S. Cloverdale Avenue , Los Angeles California - Google Maps

600 S. Cochran Avenue , Los Angeles California - Google Maps
Wow thanks ChrisLa. What is up man? I will be working at Santa Monica Place when it opens in August. I plan on being down there probably around the 2nd week in July. It sounds so far off but in reality its really right around the corner. I'm gonna miss Seattle.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
WWW.APARTMENTGUIDE.COM WWW.APARTMENTS.COM WWW.FORRENT.COM STAY AWAY FROM COMPANIES THAT WANT TO CHARGE YOU TO SEE A LIST OF APARTMENTS THAT ARE FOR RENT IT IS A SCAM...WHEN YOU SIGN UP THE ONES THEY ADVERTISED TO GET YOU TO JOIN ARE NOT AVAIL AND YOU MAY UP WITH MAYBE ONE OR TWO LISTINGS IN BAD AREAS.
Thanks Chichappens. I really appreciate it.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:12 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,745,882 times
Besides Craiglist, Westside Rentals is the best bet. They do charge a fee, but they're definitely legit. A lot of smaller landlords use them. They also will provide credit checks for the landlord, which helps offset the relatively minimal cost of the membership. Still, Craigslist is not to be discounted. And I, too, much prefer the smaller, older places; that's where both Westside and CL really excel (admittedly CL has scams, but they're usually glaringly obvious). There are tons of character-filled smaller older apartment buildings in LA, so you should have no problems finding something you really like.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Besides Craiglist, Westside Rentals is the best bet. They do charge a fee, but they're definitely legit. A lot of smaller landlords use them. They also will provide credit checks for the landlord, which helps offset the relatively minimal cost of the membership. Still, Craigslist is not to be discounted. And I, too, much prefer the smaller, older places; that's where both Westside and CL really excel (admittedly CL has scams, but they're usually glaringly obvious). There are tons of character-filled smaller older apartment buildings in LA, so you should have no problems finding something you really like.

[mod cut: rude/talking about moderator activity]...but, i strongly disagree with Westside. Several people have signed up for there service only to find out the ads they tease you with before your join ARE NOT AVAIL and if you are lucky will end up with MAYBE 3 ads if that.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 03-15-2010 at 09:10 AM..

Old 03-15-2010, 09:09 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,745,882 times
And do you have personal experience with Westside? Say what you want, but most people would agree that it's not a scam. I used it once; ended up with a place from Craigslist, but we found lots of decent options with Westside. I have plenty of other friends who have used Westside with good luck. Whether or not it's worth the money when there are now so many good listings on Craiglist (and now a better market for renters) is another debate, but I have never met anyone who found only three options on Westside. Maybe if they were only looking for very, very specific things in very, very small radius or something.

Chichappens, what services have you personally used when you've been looking for older, smaller buildings in the Los Angeles area? I haven't had luck with the places you listed, although that's not to say they're not worth at least looking at. I have been in the same position with the same building preferences as the OP and have had friends who have also been, and they've had decent luck with Westside.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:20 AM

I know of 3 people who have used and said that the ads before you join were fake it and several Real Estate agents and landlords or agree it is a scam to post fake adverts to get you to sign up and then the adverts are not avail and the listings are far an few. Maybe, in the past the company was useful but, it has lost its reputation to deliver. Not sure about this but was told that Craigs list will no longer allow them to post ads on their site since they received a lot of complaints about not having any TRUE listings.

I think with smaller buildings your best bet will be with local newspapers and Craig's List.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:32 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,771,607 times
Local newspapers and the Pennysaver are great options, but for the type of unit you're looking for, the best option is to drive the neighborhoods you like early Saturday morning searching for rent signs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles