Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:53 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDay70 View Post
Yes, he sure did. And remember before Bradley became a politician he was a member of the LAPD in the 1950's!! He stood 6 feet 6 inches tall yet was so soft spoken....tough but trust worthy.
And left the force to become an attorney because of racial discrimination in the LAPD under Parker. Given that mayoral power was even weaker under the old charter than it is today, he used his negotiating skills which are essential for a good lawyer to have to benefit the city as a whole to compensate for the limits of the office's power.

Quote:
His was a true rainbow coalition of southside blacks, eastside Latinos, and liberal white westsiders (Jew and Anglo).
I was 11 years old when he defeated Yorty (whom it seemed NOBODY liked except his own friends and family) and all the adults in my family and neighborhood were quite happy when he won.

Quote:
One of the ironies of Bradley's tenure....the San Fernando Valley voters (esp. back then) always felt "short changed" by "downtown" politicians. Well, for a variety of reasons it was during Bradley's tenure that the Red Line subway got diverted to the valley and not to the westside.
The latter is true, although I really don't have any idea of how the Valley voters felt about Bradley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 08:55 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
LAPPL: Public Safety First
Yea, I like to make things up? I suppose I work for the LAPD web design company and Paul Weber's signature too.

You just dont like to admit when you are wrong. LAPD does not have enough officers to cover LA as is.

LAPPL: Violence on the Rise in LA, NY

And there is more proof. But then again, I could have made that page myself.

Unfortunately, no big surprise given that the prisoner releases have already started, and another reason why it would be foolish to stop hiring cops.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:36 AM

3 posts, read 9,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDay70 View Post
The list of politicians who have failed the bar exam is long....to name just two: Mayor Richard Daley (Chicago).
Mayor Daley failed the bar twice, then cheated (got some help) the third time. Kathleen Sullivan failed the California bar once, and she has been mentioned as a possibility to fill the vacancy left by Justice Stevens.

And because it seems there was some Chicago vs. LA back and forth a while ago, I think it fit to add my opinion for what it's worth (which is nothing, because it's an opinion).

Chicago = awesome
LA = awesome
Both are world class cities with culture, diversity, and high quality of life if you know where to look for it.

I am thisclose to moving to LA, and the only thing keeping me from doing so is the fact that I have to leave Chicago. But I am browsing the LA forum for a reason, and it's just not to troll city vs. city threads.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:19 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,973,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Unfortunately, no big surprise given that the prisoner releases have already started, and another reason why it would be foolish to stop hiring cops.

Correct. They are moving around cops from nice areas like Sherman Oaks to more dangerous places like N. Hollywood. Crime in the nicer areas start to increase.

One major difference is LAPD has a 2 officer per vehicle for night shift policy. Many departments only have 1 officer policy. If I were a cop, I'd feel alot safer with a partner especially in dangerous areas. Since that is the case, they aren't able to cover as much surface but do a better job with the area they do cover. I know CHP applies the same rule for the night shift when most DUI's occur. Only way to cover more area is to have more cops. Removing cops in any situation is nothing but bad news.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:42 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Traveltalks - 1935 Los Angeles "Wonder City of the West"

YouTube - Traveltalks - 1935 Los Angeles "Wonder City of the West"

Old 04-19-2010, 09:51 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Great vid, Think First I recognize so much that hasn't changed much

Old 04-20-2010, 09:30 AM

105 posts, read 470,080 times
Well if it makes you feel better, LA would be #1 on all of my lists

Old 04-20-2010, 12:26 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
Traveltalks - 1935 Los Angeles "Wonder City of the West"

YouTube - Traveltalks - 1935 Los Angeles "Wonder City of the West"

Why do announcers from the 30s and 40s always sound like that?

Old 04-20-2010, 02:28 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Long after Los Angeles did.
Bradley was the first black mayor of a city which was not overwhelmingly black and in which blacks have never been the largest nor second largest ethnic group (when Bradley was elected the African-American population was the 3rd largest behind non-Latino whites and Latinos, today they're the 4th largest behind Latinos, non-Latino whites, and Asians) Carl Stokes of Cleveland and Walter Washington of DC predated him but both of those cities were and are blacker than L.A.
In terms of ethnicity, blacks were the second largest group in the 1960s and early 1970s (in the 1970 Census). In terms of race (considering that Latinos are an ethnicity), blacks were the second largest group from the late 1960s to the early 1980s. Some other race (which most are Hispanic) were the third largest group during that time.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:09 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko. View Post
Ironic, seeing LA is much poorer than New York, San Francisco, DC and Chicago. Hell, even Dallas.

Living completely on credit isn't really admirable.
Los Angeles has the (3)rd GDP behind only.....

1.Tokyo
2.New York City
3. LOS ANGELES

The PORT(S) of (Los Angeles & Long Beach) are the Largest port facilities in "the United States of America when combined..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles