Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:09 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDay70 View Post
1) Actually, there are plenty of people in the rest of the country still willing to come and live in the LA area. The link below is a story discussing the latest census data for the LA area and how our population is GROWING. In the article, Dowell Myers, a professor of urban planning and demography at USC, said some of the newcomers are probably younger people from other parts of the country deciding to give the region a try.

L.A. area population rising again, new census data show | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

2) The Mayor of Los Angeles is NEARLY a CEREMONIAL position...much less power than any other big city in the nation. This is BY DESIGN dating back to "progressive era" reforms. So I don't get people's paranoid delusions about Tony V.'s performance....

Finally, I have been around long enough to see LA/So.Calif. pronounced dead....only to see it come back despite the naysayers. YES, we have problems but we also have MANY STRENGTHS including a diverse economy on the edge of the Pacific Rim.
LA's population growing? What!? Since when? What exactly does this prove? I'm sure most large cities have population growth. More people the better? Tell that to India...

Yea, I understand the city council makes many important decisions but the mayor still has enough power since he is the public figure. He has announced a few idiotic topics during press conferences without informing city council. The last one was the "3 day" work week. Dennis Zion stated he didn't even know the mayor was planning a press conference and there was zero talk about this topic between the council and the mayor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 10:16 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
That is why they do all that filming in those other cities, because we have nothing here. The film industry realized long ago that LA and the surrounding area has nothing that resembles anything in those other cities and will not film or make movies here. It is a shame. We just have nothing to offer anyone.

Also not many people from around the globe would want to live in the LA metro.

I think a good world class city would be one where over 160 languages are spoken, where people from all over the Earth reside, where they have access to shipping and transportation. I would think a good world class city would be one where visitors would have lots of entertainment opportunities, places to vacation, outdoor events, closeness to the arts and sporting events. a good world class city would have museums, a zoo, Observatory.

I wish we had all those things here in LA.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:19 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvillejane View Post
Well, chicago is, and even istanbul is. Why?

1. New York, USA

Architecture: 9

Arts & culture: 10

Buzz: 10

Food & drink: 9

Quality of life: 6

World status: 9

Total/60: 53

2. London, UK

Architecture: 7

Arts & culture: 10

Buzz: 9

World status: 9
Total/60: 50

3. Paris, France

Arts & culture: 9
Buzz: 6

Quality of life: 7

World status: 8

Total/60: 48

4. Berlin, Germany

Arts & culture: 9

Food & drink: 6

Total/60: 46

Equal 5th. Barcelona, Spain

Arts & culture: 7

Buzz: 8

Food & drink: 8

Quality of life: 8
World status: 4

Total/60: 44

Equal 5th. Chicago, USA

Arts & culture: 8
Buzz: 7

Food & drink: 7

World status: 6

Equal 5th. Tokyo, Japan

Arts & culture: 6

Food & drink: 10

Quality of life: 4

8. Istanbul, Turkey

World status: 7

Total/60: 43

Equal 9th. Rome, Italy

Food & drink: 6

World status: 7

Total/60: 42

Equal 9th. Sydney, Australia

Arts & culture: 6

Quality of life: 10
World status: 5

Total/60: 42
While I agree with alot of other commenters in this thread about LA's current state, I think the biggest reason it did not make this list is because LA is not a traditional urban enviroment. All the other cities listed are classic urban cores surrounded by suburbs. LA is sprawled out with several important districts, but no central core that leads to the beehive like atmosphere of a Manhattan or London. This Manhattan type enviroment is usually held out as the prototype for urban living & LA does not play by those rules.

Also - I have seen Time Out magazine in many of the cities listed, Does LA even have a Time Out edition?

Old 04-12-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
That is why they do all that filming in those other cities, because we have nothing here. The film industry realized long ago that LA and the surrounding area has nothing that resembles anything in those other cities and will not film or make movies here. It is a shame. We just have nothing to offer anyone.
That is not why at all. They are able to save alot of money filming in Vancouver and New Zealand. These two areas do not charge massive fees and welcome the extra income to their economy from the film industry, particularly Vancouver. LA decided during the 90's to rape the film industry if they want to film in the city hence why IMO, we do not see as many movies about LA.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 04-12-2010, 10:35 AM

142 posts, read 442,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post

1) LA's population growing? What!? Since when? What exactly does this prove? I'm sure most large cities have population growth. More people the better? Tell that to India...

2) Yea, I understand the city council makes many important decisions but the mayor still has enough power since he is the public figure. He has announced a few idiotic topics during press conferences without informing city council. The last one was the "3 day" work week. Dennis Zion stated he didn't even know the mayor was planning a press conference and there was zero talk about this topic between the council and the mayor.
1) Not all large cities grow....think Detroit. Washington, D.C. lost population for DECADES, though I think that trend has finally reversed. And the City of Chicago actually LOST population from 2000 to the most recent estimates. A growing population generally means people desire to live in that area....

2) Give the Mayor credit for rolling the dice on transportation and taking the lead on his 30/10 plan to speed up the delivery of much needed rail transit to the region.

How Feasible is Antonio Villaraigosa’s 30/10 Gambit for Los Angeles Transit? « The Transport Politic

By the way, it's Dennis Zine...not ZION.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:49 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

Also not many people from around the globe would want to live in the LA metro.

I think a good world class city would be one where over 160 languages are spoken, where people from all over the Earth reside, where they have access to shipping and transportation. I would think a good world class city would be one where visitors would have lots of entertainment opportunities, places to vacation, outdoor events, closeness to the arts and sporting events. a good world class city would have museums, a zoo, Observatory.

I wish we had all those things here in LA.
Sarcasm? Long Beach doubles as Miami in CSI Miami and Carson/South Bay doubles as Reno for Reno 911, among others(Chicago burbs/Long Beach burbs for instance). And of course, everything you mention about a world class city is accessible here. But of course a good world class city doesn't make a great world class city without more than all of that.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
1) Not all large cities grow....think Detroit. Washington, D.C. lost population for DECADES, though I think that trend has finally reversed. And the City of Chicago actually LOST population from 2000 to the most recent estimates. A growing population generally means people desire to live in that area....

2) Give the Mayor credit for rolling the dice on transportation and taking the lead on his 30/10 plan to speed up the delivery of much needed rail transit to the region.

How Feasible is Antonio Villaraigosa’s 30/10 Gambit for Los Angeles Transit? « The Transport Politic

By the way, it's Dennis Zine...not ZION.

I will give the mayor ZERO credit for anything. He is quite possibly the worst mayor in the modern era. People buying into charisma leaders usually don't result in a positive outlook.

I don't care about LA's population because LA spans so many miles. The only other city which does that is NYC. LA has a ton of "cities" which are apart of LA. The entire San Fernando Valley if it became its own city, it would be in the top 10 nationwide. Now, I've only been to Chicago and Sydney on this list so I know they don't stretch over 10 miles. LA goes all the way to San Pedro...that makes sense.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:59 AM

69 posts, read 225,658 times
That list is horrible.
Except New York and Chicago I guess....great cities but too cold for me.
But I would never live in any of those other cities.
hahhaha Istanbul,Rome,London,Paris,Berlin EWWWW hahaa I would NEVER pick those over L.A.
I would be so depressed anywhere in Europe or Asia.Sure the Meditarranean sea is nice looking, but I think the people are ugly...sorry.
And what can you do just stare at the sea all day...there is no way out if you live there unless you are one of the few really rich people.
Either way I couldn't enjoy living there because of the people.
Sydney could be nice lookin, but there is definetely not enough diversity there..I couldn't be happy.
Those cities can't even compare to L.A.
If only L.A. didn't have earthquakes it would be like heaven.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:26 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
You need to clarify what you mean by "diverse".....whatever disadvantages there are to LA a lack of diversity is certainly NOT one of them.
Especially not if you're the decendent of dead, white, European males!

Old 04-12-2010, 11:33 AM

142 posts, read 442,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I don't care about LA's population because LA spans so many miles. The only other city which does that is NYC. LA has a ton of "cities" which are apart of LA. The entire San Fernando Valley if it became its own city, it would be in the top 10 nationwide. Now, I've only been to Chicago and Sydney on this list so I know they don't stretch over 10 miles. LA goes all the way to San Pedro...that makes sense.
Even if you measure LA at the CITY level or at the COUNTY level (which includes the City of LA and all the "other" cities like Pasadena, Santa Monica, etc), the POPULATION has continued to grow for decades.

That is NOT the case for the CITY of CHICAGO or COOK COUNTY....BOTH areas have DECLINED in population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles