Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 06:18 PM

48 posts, read 115,191 times

Advertisements

I am originally from New York. Moved to texas a year and a half ago. But I find it really difficult to go along with these people here. The attitude, the roads the people- everything is just - W R O N G .

Maybe its' because i am from new york , but still I don't think anyone who was not brainwashed at a young age would think this way. I see racists every day at my work here in houston. It's just dicouraging and depressing. I have to talk and be on their level to keep my job.it's a bizzare world down here. I work at a production company assembling computers/servers. Couldn't find a engineering job for which i went to school for, so had to take up the first job that i got . it was either this or being on the streets...

But I am done. These people are completely insanely ignorant and just not in touch with reality. I hear racist talk shows on radios , people trying to oppress people of other races every day at work. I guess I am a progressive and this is not the state i want to be in .
I was googling some places and it seems Los Angeles is just beautiful. (I heard The prices are steep ) But i really don't care as long as I can be around some sane people.

Where can i live in california that has some good sane people and has progressive mentalities , people that are past all the race stuff and are actually loving to each other ( not brainwashed and talking non-sense ) ? please give me some feedbacks. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 06:29 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2009 View Post
please give me some feedbacks.
Are you considering moving without a job, or, do you plan on securing a job and them moving to Los Angeles?

What do you anticipate your housing budget will be?

Married?
Kids? Ages?

Old 03-18-2010, 06:49 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,622,415 times
San Jose/Silicon Valley would be the best bet if you got an engineering degree. However the cost of housing is ridiculously high (even more so than LA), so before you move make sure you secure a job, and even then be prepared for frequent layoffs/turnovers. It's a tough job market out here in Cali, so make sure you've got some savings before venturing out.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:50 PM

i am single.Not married.No kids i am considering to move after i secure a job and atleast 1000-2000 in savings ( i am not sure if that's good enough for the apartment and everything ) .

i am not sure how much would a single room apartment cost there in cali ? But i am guessing around 1,500? Depending on the area right?

Old 03-18-2010, 06:51 PM

is the job market as bad as they say ? How's the engineering field for jobs?

Old 03-18-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
i am single.Not married.No kids i am considering to move after i secure a job and atleast 1000-2000 in savings ( i am not sure if that's good enough for the apartment and everything ) .

i am not sure how much would a single room apartment cost there in cali ? But i am guessing around 1,500? Depending on the area right?
Once you find a job, then the forum can make recommendations of where to live.

Apartment rents vary quite a bit based on location.

Any ideas of where you might get a job?

Old 03-18-2010, 08:05 PM

Not yet. maybe silicon valley

Old 03-18-2010, 08:46 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
The economy really is that bad, although it seems like maybe it's starting to pick up slowly.

In the meantime, how about trying to find a better fit in Houston? It's a really diverse place, too, and I know there are many progressive and non-racist people there, too. (and LA has some racists as well, for that matter) You might get lucky and get a job right away, but life would be a lot easier and cheaper if you could at least get a temporary fix by switching your neighborhood there, finding a new job there, and surrounding yourself with Texans who share your views? They're definitely out there.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
is the job market as bad as they say ? How's the engineering field for jobs?
I would have said pretty good but two of my engineer buddies are now laid off in SoCal.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:20 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I would have said pretty good but two of my engineer buddies are now laid off in SoCal.
Depends. Friend of mine has a CE degree and experience in EE and he's stuck doing essentially what the OP is doing up in the Silicon Valley area. The only positions that seem to be reliably available are entry level(requiring midlevel experience to apply for entry level wages) or senior(requiring much more than senior level experience to apply) positions, and the defense industry, which has a big share of the engineering openings, is also requiring military or defense experience with an active clearance already for a lot of the positions.

It's not hard for all of these companies to do these things since there are so many people out of work in those industries, so it's either hold out against all odds for a better paying position or accept a 15-30% cut in pay(one of the offers I've received was a 40% cut in my previous salary and below what I made in my first junior level IT position 5 years ago and equivalent to what I made stocking beer for Anheuser Busch with no requirements other than being able bodied)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles