Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 05:38 PM

7 posts, read 26,696 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be moving from South Carolina to La Mirada (or vicinity) in August as she enrolls in the Ph.D. program at Talbot (Biola). I am a teacher, so I already have come to terms that I doubt I will find a job teaching anywhere in So. Cal. I doubt we will be able to go out and visit until we move, so if you could help answer a couple of questions for us...

1) Do you know of any good apartment complexs near La Mirada where we can get a studio or 1 bedroom for under $1000? Got a list online, but curious if anyone has heard good things about some or know to stay away from others...

2) We also have a small dog... I know that will limit what apartment complexes we can live in, but also want to know if there are any good parks in the area?

3) Can you describe what life is like in this area? Just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

I'm really looking forward to the move... just a little apprehensive about the job situation for myself. Thanks for all of your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 06:34 PM

Another question...

What are the differences in La Mirada, Whittier, La Habra, Fullerton, and Norwalk? Is there any real big differences in those towns?

Old 04-19-2010, 06:42 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
Fullerton is overall the nicest of all mentioned, but the others are mostly nice as well, except for Norwalk which doesn't really have any nice areas (it's not a terrible place though). Also, each city has lower income/higher crime types of areas but are generally easy to avoid. if you find a nice place in any of these cities, i'm sure you'll be fine.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:06 PM

any streets to avoid in these areas?? We may be able to make a trip for a day or two out there before we move, but chances are we will be renting a place off the internet.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:42 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquilaeducator View Post
My wife and I will be moving from South Carolina to La Mirada (or vicinity) in August as she enrolls in the Ph.D. program at Talbot (Biola). I am a teacher, so I already have come to terms that I doubt I will find a job teaching anywhere in So. Cal. I doubt we will be able to go out and visit until we move, so if you could help answer a couple of questions for us...

1) Do you know of any good apartment complexs near La Mirada where we can get a studio or 1 bedroom for under $1000? Got a list online, but curious if anyone has heard good things about some or know to stay away from others...

2) We also have a small dog... I know that will limit what apartment complexes we can live in, but also want to know if there are any good parks in the area?

3) Can you describe what life is like in this area? Just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

I'm really looking forward to the move... just a little apprehensive about the job situation for myself. Thanks for all of your help!

I would suggest La Mirada and Fullerton as well.

Life there is pretty quiet, suburban, tons of houses. If you've never been to southern California, our suburbs go on forever.

In La Mirada there are a lot of good parks. La Mirada "Regional Park" and Goldenhill come to mind.

I would suggest this "square" to generally stay around/within: East of Biola, south of Imperial Hwy, north of Chapman, and west of the 57 freeway. However most of the areas between the freeways are pretty safe, the part in the red 'box' is just a little more nicer than the other places.

I would also NOT recommend Norwalk, it's pretty boring and a tad rough (although far from bad.)
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to La Mirada without visiting...HELP!-untitled.jpg  

Old 04-20-2010, 05:51 AM

35 posts, read 106,159 times
I grew up in Norwalk, and then moved to La Mirada when I was in 5th grade. HUGE upgrade. La Mirada is a really nice place to live. Safe, nice "small town" feel while still in LA county. It's funny to me that it's surrounded by a little of everything, but still feels very sectioned off. I doubt you will be disappointed in La Mirada. I still wish everyday I lived there, great place to grow up.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:08 AM

79 posts, read 211,328 times
Well, It is considered as Gateway cities and they are close to East los, and i wouldnt reccomend anyone to reside in those gang infested areas< well u know Ms 13, surrenos nortenos and the stuff

Old 04-20-2010, 10:17 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
downtown whittier is pretty cool, la mirada is nice, and fullerton will have options. i think your best bet for a decent area in that price range will be around fullerton college

Old 04-21-2010, 07:53 PM

Thanks everyone! Does anyone know of any realtors or agencies that will help you look for apartments?

Old 04-21-2010, 10:33 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquilaeducator View Post
Thanks everyone! Does anyone know of any realtors or agencies that will help you look for apartments?
Your best bet is craigslist and Biola itself. They might be able to recommend some off campus student friendly apartments/housing. I think they even have housing for couples on campus. When I was there eons ago the town was accustomed to renting to students. La Mirada is pretty much Mayberry, especially for LA County. Although living there is just like living in OC since it borders it. If you live on campus you will be within the 'Biola Bubble.' Kind of an alternate universe type thing. At least it was known as that back then.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles