Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 05:40 PM

13 posts, read 22,079 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are moving from southeast GA to Austin, Texas the first week of August. We are going to be traveling I-10 most of the way. We are trying to support local businesses. Though, we know it won't be a drop in the ocean compared to what they've lost b/c of the oil leak.

Our first stop will be Ft Walton beach.

Our 2nd stop will be Lafayette. We don't have a place to stay yet, waiting to hear back from a few places to see if they'll make an exception and allow pets, if not we may end up staying at a chain. We do have our restaurants planned out- Olde Tyme for lunch, Borden's for dessert, and Prejeans for dinner. Unless anyone has any other recommendations.

We'll be getting to town around noon and leaving at 6am the next morning. We'd like suggestions on any local attractions to see or things to do to kill the time between our meals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 10:58 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,327,375 times
Well there is the zoo of Acadian, natural history museum and planetarium, historic Acadian village and vermillionville, heymann performing arts center, downtown art galleries and shops, kart ranch a little out of town, a couple bowling alleys, the rok Haus climbing wall, the welcome center on Evangeline thruway, and there's downtown alive events with music and dancing usually going on most nights. That should get you started.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:28 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,225,500 times
There is alot of shopping in Lafayette, and there are resturants everywhere. Lafayette also has many festivals throughout the year. What area are yall moving to?

Old 07-18-2010, 01:36 PM

they are just passing through by the sound of it.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:46 PM

432 posts, read 1,086,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernStorm View Post
....we know it won't be a drop in the ocean compared to what they've lost b/c of the oil leak.
Trust me when I say that it is genuinely appreciated by us locals, no matter how small your contribution may seem. Thank you both for that consideration.

Regarding your dining choices based on your limited schedule, I say stick with your plan. The shrimp Po-Boy at Olde Tyme Grocery is, well, ...phenomenal... i could go on and on, but... Another favorite of mine is their meatball po-boy, but that's me. Everything I've tried there has been outstanding. So good choice there. Nothing fancy, but that's part of the pure beauty of the very best offerings in Acadiana.

Prejeans meets just about every definition of a tourist trap, yet their food is actually quite good from my own experience. However, if you had more time to spend here, I'd steer you to quite a few other places, such as Poor Boys Riverside Inn, but finding it alone would likely take a good part of the afternoon.

Hotel accommodations? As a local, can't really offer anything other than what would be the most convenient based on your itinerary. Drury Inn fronts I-10 with quick access to both lunch and dinner choices, both being near downtown to visit Bordens, but Trip Advisor is the place I would start for reviews, etc.

For time killing between meals, since you'll already be downtown for dessert, Innotech provided some good choices.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:38 AM

121 posts, read 314,035 times
I'd do Vermillionville since it's not located that far from I-10. If I'd eat at all those places in one day I'd BLOW! HAHAH! Check hours on Old Tyme before you go not sure if they are open on Sat or Sun the times you will be here and not sure they are open on Sundays at all. Just check. Prejeans will be open and like someone said Drury might work for you. While the surroundings aren't that great I know people from out of town who have stayed there and they liked it. I wouldn't stay anywhere off I-10 in Lafayette except there or you could try Breaux Bridge bc they have a Holiday Inn Express right off the interstate. Breaux Bridge has lots of stuff to do that is geared at Louisiana.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:36 AM

245 posts, read 455,418 times
In the event that you don't find local accomodations that will allow your pet, go with La Quinta. I've traveled with my dog... a lot. La Quinta is the one chain that, in my experience, has consistently been accomodating of my dog (with no additional fees/charges).

I still encourage you to make an attempt at finding a local business.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:16 AM

also, Id recommend making a stop at Don's specialty meats off the Scott, La I10 exit west of Lafayette and pick you up some of the best boudin around

Old 07-19-2010, 07:18 PM

211 posts, read 566,511 times
When I was there last week, I visited Shadows on the Teche in New Iberia, a short drive south of Lafayette. It was lovely. The trees and grounds were gorgeous. I even liked the chocolate colored Bayou Teche out back. It doesn't take very long to do, either.

Scott

Old 07-19-2010, 09:21 PM

432 posts, read 1,086,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonreadhead View Post
When I was there last week, I visited Shadows on the Teche in New Iberia, a short drive south of Lafayette. It was lovely. The trees and grounds were gorgeous. I even liked the chocolate colored Bayou Teche out back. It doesn't take very long to do, either.

Scott
Just one more item to add to a slightly longer itinerary. I need to take my family there myself. I miss that place, as well as venturing further south to Avery Island.

A couple of weekends ago, I took the family to Pat's in Henderson for lunch, then a drive over to Lake Martin. That lake could use some rental cabins. The beauty there is incredible, and great for photography for bird watchers, etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana