Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 03:49 PM

5 posts, read 29,026 times

Advertisements

Hi

My 3 friends and I will come to Lafeyette in june for Work and Travel..

So, How is Lafayette ? is it a big city ? What can we do in our free time?

How is Nightlife? is there a beach close to Lafayette? if yes how far away ?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 10,466 times
I m one of his 3 friends

Old 05-08-2008, 04:45 PM

139 posts, read 1,025,111 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=5211737

check out this link. untill someone comes along.good luck.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:48 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,328,014 times
Hello. Welcome to the forums and to Lafayette

First off, there arent any real beaches in all of Louisiana to speak of. Its pretty much wetlands and mud flats up to the coast. The closest beaches are probably on the east texas shore or Mississippi gulf coast. There is one tiny "beach" in the southwest but it was ravaged by hurricane rita.

As for the nightlife, in my experience (which is limited since I lack much of a social life) it is centered around bars/restaurant hangouts, going to movies and a few clubs in town. There are a lot of fun festivals that stay open into the night and a lot of cinemas that stay open late. A lot of high schoolers hang out at the strip malls around Johnston street at coffee shops and the like.

Downtown is pretty nice to walk around in during the day but I havent really been there at night outside of a festival. There are a few clubs around like Grant Street Dance Hall that have live bands and the cajun music scene is of course prevalent. you can find several restaurants around town with live cajun music. The Cajun Heartland State fair is an annual fair at the Cajundome that is pretty good too. The Caboose is a little bar in town that my friends like to go to as well that is close to the university. Its a typical college town atmosphere you could say.

I hope this helped a little but I think others can tell you more in detail.

There is also an ice skating rink off of I49 that is really nice and stays open to about 9:00 pm.

edit: found a good informational site about Lafayette and Acadiana area events
CajunFun.com: Acadiana's Entertainment & Events Calender

The city is about 114,000 people and growing fairly rapidly. The entire surrounding area has about 500,000 people but a bit spread out amongst nearby cities and areas. Traffic is pretty bad but thats normal I guess. Overall it is a decent sized city with alot of fun-loving people who love to drink and party.

Last edited by Innotech; 05-08-2008 at 08:11 PM..

Old 05-09-2008, 08:07 AM

5 posts, read 29,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Hello. Welcome to the forums and to Lafayette

First off, there arent any real beaches in all of Louisiana to speak of. Its pretty much wetlands and mud flats up to the coast. The closest beaches are probably on the east texas shore or Mississippi gulf coast. There is one tiny "beach" in the southwest but it was ravaged by hurricane rita.

As for the nightlife, in my experience (which is limited since I lack much of a social life) it is centered around bars/restaurant hangouts, going to movies and a few clubs in town. There are a lot of fun festivals that stay open into the night and a lot of cinemas that stay open late. A lot of high schoolers hang out at the strip malls around Johnston street at coffee shops and the like.

Downtown is pretty nice to walk around in during the day but I havent really been there at night outside of a festival. There are a few clubs around like Grant Street Dance Hall that have live bands and the cajun music scene is of course prevalent. you can find several restaurants around town with live cajun music. The Cajun Heartland State fair is an annual fair at the Cajundome that is pretty good too. The Caboose is a little bar in town that my friends like to go to as well that is close to the university. Its a typical college town atmosphere you could say.

I hope this helped a little but I think others can tell you more in detail.

There is also an ice skating rink off of I49 that is really nice and stays open to about 9:00 pm.

edit: found a good informational site about Lafayette and Acadiana area events
CajunFun.com: Acadiana's Entertainment & Events Calender

The city is about 114,000 people and growing fairly rapidly. The entire surrounding area has about 500,000 people but a bit spread out amongst nearby cities and areas. Traffic is pretty bad but thats normal I guess. Overall it is a decent sized city with alot of fun-loving people who love to drink and party.
Thank you for the informations

Old 05-09-2008, 12:03 PM

17 posts, read 216,748 times
Lafayette is a nice city and I think you will enjoy it. Be careful though. Kinda of a high crime rate in the hoods. REALLY good food and lots of places to dance. Nice people if you are polite and respectful.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:33 PM

108 posts, read 348,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit_crew View Post
Lafayette is a nice city and I think you will enjoy it. Be careful though. Kinda of a high crime rate in the hoods. REALLY good food and lots of places to dance. Nice people if you are polite and respectful.
I agree with you pit man . Greatfood good people like all of the louisiana culture!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana