Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,899 times

Advertisements

I moved to Hammond, Louisiana in 2009 as my wife is from here. I have a degree from Stanford in biology but have recently been trying to get into computer science. I want to get a Masters from somewhere outside of Louisiana (possibly at UT Austin if I can get in). I can't just jump into a Masters program because I don't have the required background. Right now I'm in my 2nd semester at SLU as a transfer student, taking CS and math classes. I like it, but I'm wondering if I should try going somewhere else to increase my competitiveness. Particularly I have been looking at LSU and ULL. I'm not sure whether it would matter for my prospects of getting in to a great grad school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 05:56 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
the computer science courses at ULL are reportedly excellent. there is a new building too.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:57 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
I've heard good things about ULL. LSU and UNO might be pretty good as well.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:12 AM

679 posts, read 614,863 times
With the new LITE building and everything going for the Comp Sci program at ULL like Cajun Bot and all of the other robotics projects they've been churning out, I would definitely put them at the top of my list.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:03 PM

432 posts, read 1,085,895 times
Speaking of the LITE Center, they recently released a virtual tour:

LITE Virtual Tour (http://www.lite3d.com/tour/lite_tour.html - broken link)

Nothing beats the real deal, however. Pretty cool.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:54 PM

494 posts, read 1,610,118 times
I got mine from LSU. LSU is decent, and nothing more. LSU's program assumes that you know a bit coming in, and that you do a lot of outside work to make your degree worth it. So, I would vouch for ULL too. If I had known, LSU's program was lacking in some areas beforehand, I would've went to ULL. It's not all bad though. You will find that, because not a lot of students enroll in it per year (at least when I was there), you will get to know a lot of the computer science students, so it's very easy to make friends in the department. Also, you have plenty of research uppurtines as well, you just got to make sure you don't miss them because the department doesn't do a good job of informing students about them in general.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:24 PM

Undergrad:

Home / Computer Science Department / University of Louisiana

Postgrad:

UL Lafayette: Graduate School: Programs & Contacts

On a side note, I'm still smarting from those two Cardinal defeats of the Cajun baseball team in the 2000 College World Series! We really wanted to face LSU in the final (there is a history here). But your guys clobbered us 19-9 in the third round...

Seriously though, best of luck in whichever choice you make!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:27 PM

And southseeker, care to remind our OP friend who won the 2000 CWS?

But, I digress...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
View detailed profiles of: