Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 8,958 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Houma next month. I would really appreciate any input on nice/safe neighbourhoods, good elementary school, things to do, etc, etc.
Also, any info on the crime rate would be helpful! We're moving from a small city in Canada and are hoping Houma is somewhat similar. We are well acquainted with the heat and humidity as we lived in Houston from 2003-2005

I'm more concerned with activites that are available for children (baseball, soccer, swimming, etc) and the best/worst elementary schools. I've noticed several comments in other forums stating that Louisiana has a terrible school system. I'm really hopong that isn't the case, but any info about this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 09:22 PM

177 posts, read 792,678 times
Regarding sports in Houma, I know they have a soccer program up to statewide competitive (Premier) level. They are the Houma Blackhawks. I also know they have gymnastics teams that compete statewide as well.

As for the schools, I don't have any personal knowledge of Houma's but I would have to say that they are probably decent there - certainly near the middle or upper end of the spectrum. The reason that education in LA is so bad is not that there are no good schools but that the bad ones are really bad.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 8,888 times
Default Houma, LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisiana07 View Post
My family and I are moving to Houma next month. I would really appreciate any input on nice/safe neighbourhoods, good elementary school, things to do, etc, etc.
Also, any info on the crime rate would be helpful! We're moving from a small city in Canada and are hoping Houma is somewhat similar. We are well acquainted with the heat and humidity as we lived in Houston from 2003-2005

I'm more concerned with activites that are available for children (baseball, soccer, swimming, etc) and the best/worst elementary schools. I've noticed several comments in other forums stating that Louisiana has a terrible school system. I'm really hopong that isn't the case, but any info about this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Ok, it depends on what side your moving to. I would stay on the West side of Houma. The schools are pretty good; however they have some that you just hear move about. plus they have many private schools around too. As the person below mentioned there is the blackhawks for soccer. You can contact the Terrebonne Parish Receration for ALL the sports available and when they start. Also they have the Bayou Baraccauds swim team.
Yes the humidity can get pretty bad, but it beats shoveling snow the majority of the year!! Crime is not really a problem, when something does happen it is a big thing. Which is great, really safe Great to raise a family community... people have great Hospitiality!!! Good Luck and make the best of it. Oh and the last friday of each month, you should try to make it to at least one. They have downtown alive after 5 5-10 pm in front of the court house: food, live band great for whole family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana