Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 06:46 AM

1 posts, read 961 times

Advertisements

St. Tammany Parish is one of the best parishes in the state. If you like living on the water its very nice and peaceful. This parish did have the top public schools in the state, not sure about now because I don't have kids in school any longer. There is a lot to do here you are 30 min from New Orleans. The food is great and so are the people. Katrina did a lot of damage to Slidell but it has recovered very well and still growing. I encourage you to make the move because if you don't like it you can always move and hopefully your experience will be great. The taxes and the insurance are higher in some areas more than others but you have to expect to pay higher insurance if you live on the water. You probably already made your decision but if not I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 12:56 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
I don't live in the area. Most states have federal flood plane maps. If you live in that area you qualify for federal flood insurance. There is nothing in any flood plane area that I personally want bad enough to live in it, simply because it is a lot more trouble than pleasure when it does flood. US coast lines are notorious for large damaging storms.

Tornadoes that sweep through a "tornado alley" are not any more fun than a cyclone or hurricane. The high winds accompanied with storms are devastating to everyone who is affected. As far as insurance State Farm now has a mandatory $1000 deductible in the Midwest, and I am told it is worse on the coasts. Some of the home owners in SC a while back were complaining because their long time insurance companies dropped them. .

Old 10-22-2013, 01:54 PM

13 posts, read 21,433 times
I know this is an older post, but my husband is thinking about taking a job in Jefferson Parish and we were looking at renting a home in Slidell. We are coming from San Diego and homeschool so we are not too concerned about the schools, but we are worried about crime.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:28 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,341,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treegardner View Post
I know this is an older post, but my husband is thinking about taking a job in Jefferson Parish and we were looking at renting a home in Slidell. We are coming from San Diego and homeschool so we are not too concerned about the schools, but we are worried about crime.
There's crime in Slidell too.

Slidell's third homicide of the year was result of botched robbery, police say | NOLA.com

Why not look in Kenner or Metairie if you want to stay in the suburbs.

Lets see, commute 35 miles...or commute 2 miles...hmm...

Old 10-22-2013, 09:02 PM

13 posts, read 21,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
There's crime in Slidell too.

Slidell's third homicide of the year was result of botched robbery, police say | NOLA.com

Why not look in Kenner or Metairie if you want to stay in the suburbs.

Lets see, commute 35 miles...or commute 2 miles...hmm...
The rent seemed a lot cheaper in Slidell.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:35 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
The rent seemed a lot cheaper in Slidell.
Which you will spend on gas commuting PAST the CBD to get to Metry.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:14 PM

105 posts, read 234,743 times
The northshore is the best place to live in SE Louisiana, period. I do like Metairie however. as the mod said, add the increased fuel costs and compare rent in Metairie, versus rent and fuel in Slidell. I do prefer the Northshore if you have children.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:07 PM

89 posts, read 231,372 times
Quote:
If Slidell is on your radar, you should also consider Covington. I'd rather live in Covington and drive to JP, then live in Slidell and make that drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana