Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 08:21 AM

23 posts, read 67,526 times

Advertisements

Ladies & gentlemen, I'm stuck between a rock, a hard place, and 1/4-life crisis. I have been in a mix of unemployment, underemployment, and in a search for a career & location change since February. I used to teach in the MS Delta and in Lake Providence (actually coached football & track and enjoyed both), and I have not had the best hand in the education industry, so I have been looking to start anew, except a few problems......

1) To start, I'm back in Lake Providence around a good family who has taken me in but of course living on 65 North has its troubles, the only places to start a new career and new goals in NE LA is either Monroe, Ruston or Metro Vicksburg or Natchez in MS, so I'm looking into moving to the above-mentioned cities.

2) I don't have a job and am looking to the 4 cities with an outside chance of NO or Houston so that I can either have a new roof over my head or work toward one.

3) Around April or May, I FINALLY decided what career I want to have as a football scout or a sports writer, so I have plans on getting my MA in Mass Comm from either Southern or UL (mainly UL) and moving anywhere in North LA would be a waste of my time (especially Monroe where I would even face personal trouble of my own.....plus, it's just not a fit for me regardless).

I'm visiting Lafayette & Alexandria in an hour (don't even know the fastest route from LP) so I can see what both offer. I may later visit Lake Charles at a later time, though I have applied for jobs in LC as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 06:23 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Stick with Laffy. You'll like the city and the school is really good.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:06 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
Not to sound like a homer, but it is definitely the best mix of everything of the four cities you listed.
I think its definitely the easiest place to find work and still have good schools around you and a relatively safe place to live without having to drive too far to get to everything. You might really like the vibe of Lafayette too.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:36 PM

209 posts, read 460,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XUHopeful View Post
Ladies & gentlemen, I'm stuck between a rock, a hard place, and 1/4-life crisis. I have been in a mix of unemployment, underemployment, and in a search for a career & location change since February. I used to teach in the MS Delta and in Lake Providence (actually coached football & track and enjoyed both), and I have not had the best hand in the education industry, so I have been looking to start anew, except a few problems......

1) To start, I'm back in Lake Providence around a good family who has taken me in but of course living on 65 North has its troubles, the only places to start a new career and new goals in NE LA is either Monroe, Ruston or Metro Vicksburg or Natchez in MS, so I'm looking into moving to the above-mentioned cities.

2) I don't have a job and am looking to the 4 cities with an outside chance of NO or Houston so that I can either have a new roof over my head or work toward one.

3) Around April or May, I FINALLY decided what career I want to have as a football scout or a sports writer, so I have plans on getting my MA in Mass Comm from either Southern or UL (mainly UL) and moving anywhere in North LA would be a waste of my time (especially Monroe where I would even face personal trouble of my own.....plus, it's just not a fit for me regardless).

I'm visiting Lafayette & Alexandria in an hour (don't even know the fastest route from LP) so I can see what both offer. I may later visit Lake Charles at a later time, though I have applied for jobs in LC as well.
If you are LA resident, you may try to looking for some other alternative. If know that you can try some MBA in Ole Miss or UALR. The communication major master may not a good tool for to you find a job now. MBA in Ole Miss( or LSU, it may more expensive than Ole Miss) could help you target either North LA or Memphis Metro.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,413 times
As an life long resident of Alexandria, I definitely wouldnt recommend it. Most of the people Ive grown up with have left and moved to Houston, Atlanta etc. Imo theres nothing here, but everyones different. I hope youve gotten a chance to check out all your options and good luck in whatever decision you make.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 9,376 times
Lake Charles is a good place to start. I would suggest Lafayette as well. I've spent most of my life living and one and visiting the other every week. It just depends if you want a country/city life or a cajun/city life.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:47 PM

299 posts, read 641,845 times
Definitely Lafayette as it has better Economic growth potential than the other towns highlighted.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:53 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
Lafayette is the up and coming city in the South, all it needs is a decent skyline and better roads

Old 07-12-2012, 09:55 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Lafayette is the up and coming city in the South, all it needs is a decent skyline and better roads
Really? Thats it? I'm gonna go tell parish leaders ASAP.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:09 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Really? Thats it? I'm gonna go tell parish leaders ASAP.
Thats mostly it as far as realistic changes.
Lafayette is pretty well set up to grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana