Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 05:50 PM

83 posts, read 523,356 times

Advertisements

I hail from Welsh myself. My daddy's family goes back 3 generations there.

I didn't go very far. I'm in Lacassine now. lol

Theres the typical small town stuff that goes on there. The typical small town characters. The town this and the town that type of people. Even with its few problems it is a great, quiet, safe place to live and raise kids.

My high school experience there was great. My little brother graduates this year. He plays ball for them. Again, it has it's minor problems but nothing serious and they are working on alot of things.

If you keep to yourself and don't cause problems you won't attract problems.

If you don't do anything wrong the cops won't bother you. You have nothing to worry about. Don't speed and you won't get tickets regardless if the cop car is marked or not.

Good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 02:44 AM

11 posts, read 44,195 times
Not too worried about a ticket. Being older and disabled, I'm not in a rush anymore. I tend to keep to myself anyway. Never was into the gossip vine thing anyway. I'll look into Welsh. Does anyone know if Leesville still has them trailer parks that the incoming soldiers used?? My wife and I are going to need a cheap place to crash until we can get a house bought and moved in. Thanks!!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:38 PM

8 posts, read 26,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike n Gina View Post
Hey there. I lived in Louisiana for three years while in the Army. I miss it there a lot!! As a disabled veteran, I can no longer afford to live in California. Unless of course I want my kids to grow up in the illegal alien ghetto and have my kids around drugs or shot at. All the affordable areas are crime ridden and you must speak spanish thanks to California turning a blind eye. We are moving to Louisiana in late January, early February. Anyone know of a good quite town on the west side of the state that has homes that are affordable? I have my VA loan and disability to live with, but that's all. Any help would be great. Thanks, Mike n Gina
Hope this helps - Milton in Lafayette Parish has an UNBELIEVABLE great K-8 public school BUT - it's expensive unless you can luck into a rent house type of thing - worth checking into. Consider Youngsville too. Getting expensive there but if you look they do have nice mobile home parks and established housing. Alternatively, check out( North) Vermilion Parish - Maurice Elementary and North Vermilion High - very close to Lafayette and well-regarded. Good Luck

Consider too - Pine Prairie - small town and cheap - pretty good school too

Last edited by enjoyingthescenery; 01-05-2008 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: another thought

Old 08-30-2008, 07:24 AM

5 posts, read 12,508 times
hello, i grew up in sulphur, but as you drive north on your way to leesville is a nice little town named deridder with lots of rural land around it,

Old 08-31-2008, 02:16 AM

Thanks for the help everyone. I found my new home!! I love it here, my wife loves it too!! We are in Merryville now. Technically in city limits, but couldn't tell sitting on my back porch!! Nothing but woods... love it!! Mike n Gina

Old 08-31-2008, 11:50 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
Hey
Glad to see you made it! Congrats and welcome back!

Old 08-31-2008, 08:38 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,609 times
Quote:
Thanks for the help everyone. I found my new home!! I love it here, my wife loves it too!! We are in Merryville now. Technically in city limits, but couldn't tell sitting on my back porch!! Nothing but woods... love it!! Mike n Gina

Let us know how everything is with that hurricane on your doorstep.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:53 PM

Thanks hdwell, it's great to be back, even if Ike doesn't think so...lol
I got to tell you Alphaman, Ike wasn't fun. Gustav was a joke here, didn't even give us the amount of rain we wanted, Ike tore through use though. Took off a lot of shingles and took apart an old white oak in our yard. Thankfully none of the braches hit the house, but I'm not sure if it is going to be stable enough to keep it there. It would be a shame to have to take down such a beatiful, huge old tree. It's east side had almost all the branches removed from it and our house is to the west of it, so it may have to go. The roof though is going to cost me. We lost about four feet of shingles from the whole east side of the house. Damn!! Don't know how I'll get this fixed.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:04 AM

10 posts, read 45,420 times
Quote:
Leesville is definitely not the place for me. Actually, I am not looking to move into a town, but in the outskirts or more rural. I have to say, I don't think I will ever leave again after we get back. I've missed living there since I left. No where has ever felt so much like home to me. Thank you all for the help and input. Mike and Gina
I'd say Rapides Parish. Alot of my family is retired military, and this is a great place.

I have said this in nearly every post, but PIneville is small, rural, quiet, safe, good schools. In the center of town, there are new businesses and you barely ever have to leave. If you do, go across the bridge to Alexandria about ten miles.lol.

A couple miles from my home is Camp Beauregard/Camp Cook, Ft. Polk is not far, and the VA is a few miles off too.

I actually get to live on a road that leads to Camp Livingston where my Paw Paw used to work at with the military a loooong time ago. There really ISN'T a ghetto in Pineville, Alex has one, though. On your disability you should have plenty to live on out here, we do it.

Where ever you decide, I hope you make the right decision, Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana