Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:07 PM

947 posts, read 2,399,166 times

Advertisements

Have yall heard about the Louisiana man (a representatives or something) who wants to pass the law that college students can carry guns with them to school? What are your thoughts on this? I personally think its a bad idea but that me! Some kids would be ok but some would use them for the wrong reasons!

Old 03-08-2009, 03:11 PM

32 posts, read 160,831 times
I have not heard of that and it sounds like a terrible idea. In my opinion, children are not capable of being responsible to carry weapons to school or anywhere else other than supervised hunting or target shooting.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherBunster View Post
I have not heard of that and it sounds like a terrible idea. In my opinion, children are not capable of being responsible to carry weapons to school or anywhere else other than supervised hunting or target shooting.
I agree I would be scared to death knowing that my child was on a campus with all this kids with guns because I know Dakota loses his temper way to easily! Why would some one want to pass a law like this?

Old 03-08-2009, 03:19 PM

I heard this on our local news here but they said he tryed to pass this law last year too and it did not go through!

Old 03-08-2009, 03:45 PM

32 posts, read 160,831 times
I made the mistake of misreading the original post. My post was intended for the idea of high school students carrying guns but the original post was about college students. My bad...

College students are adults (despite their behavior). I am torn at the idea of colleges being weapons carry locations.

On one hand, the students are adults so they should be able to exercise all of their legal rights but on the other hand, I know too well the poor decision making skills that many college students have.

If I were still on campus, I would feel that it was within my rights to carry a weapon if I wanted to but I would shudder at the prospect of my classmates doing so.

This is indeed a very slippery slope.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:06 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,353 times
Well, I don't think it is a good idea...but the one's that you have to worry about having guns with them are the ones that are going to do it regarless of what the rule is.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:52 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Well, I don't think it is a good idea...but the one's that you have to worry about having guns with them are the ones that are going to do it regarless of what the rule is.
Disagree with you about it being a good idea.

Agree with you regarding that bad guys do what they want, only good guys follow rules.

Self defense, like free speech, is the most basic of rights. Nut cases like the Virginia Tech perp go to places where they know there will be little or no resistance.

A "Gun Free Zone" is a self-defense free zone, and bad guys appreciate the signs telling them that. It is a feelgood notion that does absolutely nothing to increase one's safety.

Honest citizens who get permits and carry concealed are not a threat. The incidence of misuse is almost zilch.

If you will take notice, the big media are about 100% anti-self defense, 100% anti-gun. You NEVER hear about the two million plus people per year who stop bad guys in their tracks courtesy of their self defense implements.

One of the reasons Japan's WWII Admiral Yamamoto nixed any ideas of coming on east to California after the Pearl Harbor massacre was that "there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass" in America.

Self defense is not only a right, it is also a responsibility.
Cops are almost never there during the crime.
They investigate and call in the CSI folks.
Later maybe they arrest the perps.
But 911 is not going to be there in time. Americans are becoming lazy, puffy, and afraid to protect themselves. One of the very few people who resisted--rather than run off--at Virginia Tech was a WWII era Jewish professor.

The kids all ran off.
If you're in a group of 20 and there's one guy with a gun, he can kill you all as you cower.
Or you can rush him en masse and a few of you might buy it and you might not. There are few weapons that hold 20 rounds. If he kills six or 10, there are 10 remaining to take him down while he reloads.
Surrender in the face of a madman is a sure way to get hurt or killed.

This used to be common knowledge in the US.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:32 PM

768 posts, read 4,386,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Disagree with you about it being a good idea.

Agree with you regarding that bad guys do what they want, only good guys follow rules.

Self defense, like free speech, is the most basic of rights. Nut cases like the Virginia Tech perp go to places where they know there will be little or no resistance.

A "Gun Free Zone" is a self-defense free zone, and bad guys appreciate the signs telling them that. It is a feelgood notion that does absolutely nothing to increase one's safety.

Honest citizens who get permits and carry concealed are not a threat. The incidence of misuse is almost zilch.

If you will take notice, the big media are about 100% anti-self defense, 100% anti-gun. You NEVER hear about the two million plus people per year who stop bad guys in their tracks courtesy of their self defense implements.

One of the reasons Japan's WWII Admiral Yamamoto nixed any ideas of coming on east to California after the Pearl Harbor massacre was that "there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass" in America.

Self defense is not only a right, it is also a responsibility.
Cops are almost never there during the crime.
They investigate and call in the CSI folks.
Later maybe they arrest the perps.
But 911 is not going to be there in time. Americans are becoming lazy, puffy, and afraid to protect themselves. One of the very few people who resisted--rather than run off--at Virginia Tech was a WWII era Jewish professor.

The kids all ran off.
If you're in a group of 20 and there's one guy with a gun, he can kill you all as you cower.
Or you can rush him en masse and a few of you might buy it and you might not. There are few weapons that hold 20 rounds. If he kills six or 10, there are 10 remaining to take him down while he reloads.
Surrender in the face of a madman is a sure way to get hurt or killed.

This used to be common knowledge in the US.
What the hell are you rambling about? There is a difference between adults (even though one could make a case about how many adults are really even mature enough to handle a gun) and children. Children shouldn't have guns at school. Period.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:07 PM

425 posts, read 1,436,767 times
Having a gun will not necessarily protect you from someone with a gun. Every year, across the country, police officers are shot and killed in the line. These are trained officers, better trained with a pistol than almost all other Americans, and it doesn't help them.

While I agree that gun ownership is a right to all Americans, it should be up to the individual campus to allow guns on the property. Just like it is up to certain businesses to allow weapons on the premises. No one forces anyone to go to a particular college or university, therefore it's not really an issue. If a student goes to a college, he does so knowing that he cannot bring a weapon on campus.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:38 PM

I see everyones point. But I know some college kids like me if it would have been an issue back then would have chose not to carry a gun becau I know my emotions get carried away and I do stupid stuff before I even think about it! I agree everyone should have the right to defend them selves. you can be sure with my husband being a truck driver and gone most of the time I will do whatever I have to do to protect my kids! But I do not think college age young adults need guns in school! I think it would just cause trouble! I am not saying all college age people would not be responsible enough to handle it but the ones who are not responsible enough could cause a bunch of heart ache for other innocent bystanders!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
View detailed profiles of: