Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:17 PM

4 posts, read 9,957 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

So I'm looking at a job in Morgan City. But I'm a northern guy. Grew up in Michigan, Living in the Seattle, WA area right now. And I've heard all sorts of horrible rumors about Louisiana culture. That there is a very low education level. That there is still strong racism between blacks and whites. It's very strong Christian religion. And I'm thinking, all these rumors can't be true.

But I don't want to move there and suddenly find out that everyone in town hates me. So I'm looking for some opinions.

I'm Pagan. My wife is bisexual. We're both pretty darn liberal in our political views and are really into equality and tolerance for everyone. Now, I don't mind if people are different. That's the fun of life. We both like meeting new people and learning new cultures. But I don't want to hide who I am or be afraid to walk down the street.

So how about it? Think Morgan City is the type of place that could accept us? How many of those nasty rumors are actually true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 09:44 PM

432 posts, read 1,085,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickninevah View Post
Hi All,

So I'm looking at a job in Morgan City. But I'm a northern guy. Grew up in Michigan, Living in the Seattle, WA area right now. And I've heard all sorts of horrible rumors about Louisiana culture. That there is a very low education level. That there is still strong racism between blacks and whites. It's very strong Christian religion. And I'm thinking, all these rumors can't be true.

But I don't want to move there and suddenly find out that everyone in town hates me. So I'm looking for some opinions.

I'm Pagan. My wife is bisexual. We're both pretty darn liberal in our political views and are really into equality and tolerance for everyone. Now, I don't mind if people are different. That's the fun of life. We both like meeting new people and learning new cultures. But I don't want to hide who I am or be afraid to walk down the street.

So how about it? Think Morgan City is the type of place that could accept us? How many of those nasty rumors are actually true?
Quote:
That there is still strong racism between blacks and whites. It's very strong Christian religion.
Well, if the latter is true, then the former isn't...

Quote:
and are really into equality and tolerance for everyone.
Aren't we all? Last I checked, the Taliban, nor American Idol have even heard of Morgan City.

Quote:
We both like meeting new people and learning new cultures.
If you do make it down here, you will do exactly THAT.

Look, I seriously doubt anyone cares about your "alternate" lifestyle, because you may indeed find that it's not so alternate. Morgan City is an outpost of sorts. It draws many from around the country as a jumping off point to the offshore oil industry. Just don't expect a quaint coastal town there. Lot's and lot's of oilfield influence and presence. I'd strongly recommend scoping out the place and spending a few days there prior to taking the job. It has it's wonderful assets (trying to think of them), but is hardly for everyone.

What I will add is that you have Houma within commuting distance via a lightly-traveled interstate grade highway 90 (future I-49) and New Orleans in day-trip range. Lafayette is in the other direction, also within that range.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you find it to your liking. But, I'll be honest when I tell you that it will initially fall well outside your comfort zone. Different world down there, even for most of us Louisianians.

Hop a SW flight to New Orleans, rent a car and take Highway 90 all the way. Probably an hour and a half of relatively easy driving.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:11 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,662 times
To be honest , as long as you aren't out on the street corner carrying a sign advertising your lifestyle , there shouldn't be any problems . Yes , there are still some issues between blacks and whites ( even though people will deny it ) but that exists everywhere . Yes, there is still a strong religious presence , so what ? If you TRY to stand out , then you may get negative attention . Remember , tolerance works both ways .

Old 05-01-2010, 12:45 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times
Quote:
Hi All,

So I'm looking at a job in Morgan City. But I'm a northern guy. Grew up in Michigan, Living in the Seattle, WA area right now. And I've heard all sorts of horrible rumors about Louisiana culture. That there is a very low education level.Well compared to many areas that may be true, but there are some good schools here as well That there is still strong racism between blacks and whites. There is but that's only in backwoods towns. You are more likely to see that in Mississippi than you are in Louisiana. It's very strong Christian religion. And I'm thinking, all these rumors can't be true. Well Louisiana, is a republican state, thus, yes there is a heavy christian population.

I agree w/ mhounit, as long as you arent carrying a sign "adverstising" your lifestyle, nobody is really going to care. You will be fine, lol you act like this is Iran or something.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:47 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
I'm not sure why you consider having a strong Christian faith a horrible rumor. If you don't like religion, this isn't the place for you. You don't have to go to church to be accepted (I am a Catholic but I really only attend church for the big holidays) but it will be easier to be accepted if you respect church and people's right to worship how they want.

I won't lie, you will be greatly outnumbered by conservatives in Morgan City. Most of our Democrats here will seem conservative to you.

You will run into alot of ignorance, but that is the same with alot of places in the world. Some people, maybe even alot of people will judge you based on your beliefs and preferences. I am not one of those people, so be aware that people like me exist. If the move works out I will be praying that you are able to find your niche here in Louisiana.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:56 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
for what its worth I have a friend who is Pagan and her BF is Bi and they lived south of Lafayette and nobdy was the wiser. They live up in Maryland now, mainly because hse was originally from up there, but she enjoyed her time down here and I cant think of any times she was harassed or anything. There is even a visible gypsy market in Lafayette that people are aware of, but nobody protests such stores because they really dont care. There is also a scientology church in town and nobody bothers them either. Im not sure if Morgan City is like that too ,but its very much ia city and not a rural folk town or anything. Strictly business. You wont be burned at the stake,.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:32 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
Hi All,

Lots of practicing Catholics and Baptist but we're more accepting of different cultures than Hollywood TV and movies would have you believe. We also love our country and respect the military. None of our schools held anti-military programs the way one particular Seattle school did. We love nature but we don't burn down homes or auto dealerships. If you come here with a "I'm better than you" attitude then you'll never make friends here. Come here as if you're visiting a foreign land and experience the culture and learn new things and you'll have a good time. Don't go off on a "military are baby killer murderers" rant cause you may find many of your co-workers have served in the military and don't like such talk.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:11 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Remember , tolerance works both ways .
Read it again ...

Old 05-02-2010, 09:31 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Read it again ...
Amen. I have felt very unwelcomed in some cities that brag about their "tolerance"...mainly because of my political ideals. Some people do not tolerate intolerance at all

Old 06-18-2010, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 6,119 times
I have lived in Morgan City, LA, and I currently live 2 hours away from it in Lafayette. Yes, there are Christians, racists, and conservatives. I am a conservative myself. However, if you are working in any kind of slightly civilized environment, you won't see any of that. Most people are very tolerant of each other, even the Christians. I won't lie to you though, you'll definitely run into some intolerant people. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana