Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 06:20 PM

399 posts, read 1,550,082 times

Advertisements

Hello again Louisville!

I have ordered several guides from the cities that my company offers transferring to. Around the Fort Wayne area (as compared to how close in proximity I am NOW) there are a few choices I am considering.

What I am After...

1. A Nice, mid-sized city with fairly decent weather for the midwest, and good people that enjoy the arts, music, and also have a decent amount of amenities, shopping, (nothing too crazy) and a vibrant life, that is somewhat affordable for an average single male (non-professional) in his early 30's.

2. Close Proximity to Fort Wayne, IN around 200-300 miles tops. An easy holiday and once a month drive.

3. Water, and diverse land. That's one of my biggest complaints of moving back into Indiana. The land there is mostly flat...mostly...(South Park Fans...anyone) I need some mountains a day trip away, some diversity in landscape.

4. Not overcrowded. Although, I doubt coming from LA...that would be an issue. I need to have some space again, even if I have to pedal to the park, when I get there, I would like to have a spot. You Know? Ever been to LA? You have a spot, you pay for it with quarters, and when you are leaving someone if not two want your spot...I need some space!

5. Healthy. Another reason I live out here in LA. People obsess about looking great...and I like that, be it annoying at times as they are always finding some way to flush your bum hole out with new stuff and crazy new diets...it's never boring. But I like the fact that people seem to care. Something I tend to notice from these warmer places, which makes me hesitate to leave the sun.

6. Open-minded. Easily defined as diverse enough to not hang me on the old gallows for speaking my mind. But past the jokes, progressive enough to enjoy but not hippie-ish. That just gets old as people ALWAYS complain even though they do very little to change it. I'm not big on homeless people issues either...I find that very degrading to those who try and work hard to keep ourselves together.

Mentally deficient people should be institutionalized, freedom is not letting someone live on the street, thereby affecting everyone elses freedom. Not church-ruled, but church-allowed. Do they have a UU congregation...freethinkers? Just want to fit in, and if you don't want me around you'd agree you'd appreciate me keeping me out!

ON THE LIST...

1. Louisville...yes, you are the highest on the list. Also the company HQ is there...maybe moving up is in the future? I like what I have heard about LV, I am just worried that what I have heard is a selling point. I've seen a lot of brochures that do not measure up to the daily life...

2. Nashville...Although I am interested in being in Tennessee, I may enjoy just visiting it as well. That is why I didn't post it here. Why not other cities? No jobs elsewhere in TN or KY. I also don't like being the additional 100 so miles from home...another 2 hours of driving. However, I like being in a central region to access most of the country, and less of winter would NOT make me cry...that's for sure. Also, is it like living in a touristy town...not as much fun.

3. Cincinnati...I know very little, honestly. I just figured it was closer to home and also the hilly regions there looked kind of beautiful. However, by looking on the map, it looks very drawn out and huge too, which turns me down a bit. I think that Louisville is a nice medium between Indianapolis and Fort Wayne. Cincinnati seems bigger than both. I don't know much about the people either, and honestly hear they have "gang" issues with East and West..in Ohio...really?

4. Other places mentionable...

a)South Bend...close to home but seems boring...and I was kind of interested in seeing a new region, not being right in my old one. Kind of a compromise, live the dream of exploring but be close to home...SB is not quite that. It seems like a ghost town the few times I have been through.

b)Chicago...No job, and a massive city. I kind of want to get away from that. Also, winters, and if I want crazy and huge, I'll just stay here in LA thank you...be it I would be only a couple of hours from home.

c)Dayton...Been there for a Hamfest years ago, otherwise, no nothing.

d)Toledo...Not really interested but close to home.

Any thoughts would be great...I'm still leaning towards LV (Not Vegas) when I get the courage to depart the sunshine...(And the tiny studio for $800)
And the traffic...but there is that palm tree thing, and the ocean...is nice to look at but freezing cold...

Oh heck...I await your responses...
And a parking place...do I have to lay in it to reserve it?

I thank you in advance for reading my novel and your opinions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 AM

165 posts, read 309,834 times
1. Check. Louisville seems to fit all those criteria.

2. 239 miles. Check.

3. Check. We've got the river, we've got hills. Appalachia is a day trip away if you want mountains.

4. Check. Plenty of space here, especially compared to LA.

5. Healthy? Eh...not so much. Kentucky has one of the highest per-capita smoking rates, and Louisville is in the top 5 biggest fast-food cities (according to a recent study, anyway, though I have questions about the study methods). I think Louisville is pretty average or below-average for health. The nanny-state-wannabe city council has done stupid things like banning smoking and trans fats, but that doesn't do much to actually encourage healthy living.

6. As I've said here recently, you can find any degree of progressiveness you want, depending on where in the city you live and who you hang out with. If you want conservative Christian types, check out the east end. If you prefer more progressive, liberal neighbors, look in the Highlands, Crescent Hill, etc. Politically the city seems to be moderate, perhaps leaning slightly left--Democratic mayors, but not extremely liberal ones. Democratic congressman (Yarmuth).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area