Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 11:09 PM

3 posts, read 4,839 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to Kentucky in a few months and would love to get some input as to where a retired 50 something mom might find peace. I love to garden, photography is a passion and a ton of things I've yet to try. I don't need major shopping but would like some city relatively close, not days away. Target and Wal-mart are my style, and a small country house to rent or maybe an apartment..just not sure whats out there.

Can't wait to see what you all send my way!

Last edited by yayitsmyturn; 08-14-2010 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 12:36 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayitsmyturn View Post
Looking to move to Kentucky in a few months and would love to get some input as to where a retired 50 something mom might find peace. I love to garden, photography is a passion and a ton of things I've yet to try. I don't need major shopping but would like some city relatively close, not days away. Target and Wal-mart are my style, and a small country house to rent or maybe an apartment..just not sure whats out there.

Just about anywhere west of I-75 would fit my recommendation. I love Oldham County where my wife and I (both late 50's) find so many positive reasons to be here. We are 10 to 20 minutes to everything we need whether it is Class A dining, or fast food. We have excellent medical, ems, police, & fire services. We have arts, community markets & events. There is a very good library system, low crime, and excellent transportation using both the Louisville and Cincinnati airports.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:48 AM

44 posts, read 160,681 times
I second Oldham County! I grew up in Oldham County, which is about 20-30 minutes from downtown Louisville depending on where in the county you live.

LaGrange is the furthest away from downtown, but offers a quiet, relaxing atmosphere, cute shops, a great farmer's market, etc. But if you head through Lagrange toward the interstate, you will find a ton of convenience with restaurants, a movie theater, Walmart, Kroger (a big grocery chain here), and more.

Crestwood is on the other side of the county and is the closest to the east end of Louisville. It is more suburban than LaGrange, but you can still find small country houses tucked away off the main roads. There is a ton of shopping nearby and you would be only 15-20 minutes away from downtown Louisville, art galleries, etc.

In between LaGrange and the Crestwood area, there are other great towns as well. Centerfield, Buckner, and Goshen are also great little towns within Oldham County, though not quite as close to the conveniences like grocery stores, Walmart, etc. But all of these things are just a 10-15 minute drive, depending on where you live, so many people feel it's worth the extra drive time to get the added privacy and country feel...

If you prefer to stay in Louisville, I would say Crescent Hill or Lyndon may be a good choice. You can find quiet neighborhoods within these areas, but they are still close to the city. I hope this helps!

Old 09-01-2010, 07:58 PM

522 posts, read 1,610,700 times
Quote:

Are you looking to meet people or do you already have friends/and or family here? This is an important question because in your age bracket if you don't already have friends/family you are going to have a problem. Louisville is a family town - a great place to raise a family. But if you are single and in your 50's, you're going to be in the wrong place. There are not many single middle-aged people here, and let's be real, the 50's are not middle aged, you are on the older side (so am I , do I'm not being cruel). These people have their friends and family and are not looking to meet anyone new. You can stand in line at a Best Buy behind 20 other people and NO ONE will talk to you. People do not ENGAGE here. It's not truly friendly in that way. People are POLITE, but not friendly and in your age bracket they are not looking to make friends. Just FYI.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:35 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Yay, I've put more posts on here about where I live than I can count. lol I'm in Cadiz, near Kentucky and Barkley Lakes. Murray, about 35 miles from here, has been a top retirement community for several years.
Best Murray active adult retirement communities
The Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area is 170,000 acres of no houses, stores, towns, nothing but nature. Land Between The Lakes There is an elk and bison range you can drive through and take all the pictures you want. There are bald eagles here.
Do you like antiques? There are 6 of them on Main Street in Cadiz. Cadiz doesn't have a Walmart, but we do have a Dollar General Store and a Fred's! lol Closest Walmarts are in Hopkinsville, 18 miles away, and in Murray. We're about an hour/hour and a half from Nashville, Tn. And about 55 from Paducah.
Hope you check us out online or in person. Wherever you decide to move, welcome to Kentucky!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:42 PM

44 posts, read 160,681 times
This may be becoming a whole new topic now, but I have to respectfully disagree with you Joanie. I think it all comes down to having a good attitude- I talk to strangers all the time while I'm waiting in line! I won't say I become best friends with people I talk with throughout my day, but it's a great way to brighten my day (and maybe someone else's day too) by engaging with people. I tend to see Louisville and Oldham County as very friendly places, but I think it may boil down to choosing to have a "glass half full" attitude. If I stood with a sour look on my face in line (not saying you do this, I don't even know you!), people would probably not find me approachable. But I chose to look people in the eyes and smile often- it's just who I am, and I find that it allows people to put down their defenses a little and chat.

As a side note, my mom is in her 50's and single, and has had no trouble making new friends and being generally social too : )

Old 09-02-2010, 09:19 AM

I talk to people ll the time too. I live in California, and people do for the most part engage in conversation. Sometimes some with themselves on occasion..I am outging and I do engage easlily.

Thanks for your input!!

Old 09-02-2010, 09:23 AM

Thank you for all your info. I think I may need to take a trip out and spend some time looking around. You all are giving me some great stuff here, and I want to make this transition go as smoothly as possible. I am excited to see whats out there!
Thanks you again!

Old 09-02-2010, 05:08 PM

522 posts, read 1,610,700 times
Quote:
Thank you for all your info. I think I may need to take a trip out and spend some time looking around. You all are giving me some great stuff here, and I want to make this transition go as smoothly as possible. I am excited to see whats out there!
Thanks you again!
Just one tip in the "learning from my mistakes" category. Visiting does not tell you what it's like to live in a place. Do your research, in terms of climate, economy, demographics, etc. You only can truly know a place until you live there. So it's kind of a crapshoot. Wish u luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area