U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-06-2008, 11:51 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,921 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving up to the louisville area from Florida. I lived in VA for most of my life but he is a florida native. I havent been to louisville for a while so I cant really remember whats up there. We were wondering what work is like? rent/living expenses? gas? average pay? night life? school system? activities for the kids? Safest areas? Things like that. If you have any input for me, please let me know.
Thanks a bunch!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2008, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,825 posts, read 13,625,983 times
Reputation: 2145
You have asked an impossible question because Louisville has so much range in every category you listed.

As for me, if I may assume middle class, $ 100,000 family income per year, Oldham County meets all your needs. There are certain employment fields that have significant needs, while there are areas with surplus hands to fill jobs. For example, technology still has needs while auto assembly is a no-go. A typical 1,500-2,000 sq ft home in a typical suburban area will sell for between $225,000 and $275,000 with exceptions up and down. Rent is nearly always .7 to 1.0% of a home's value per month. Night life, well since I am not a clubber, I can't answer this too well, but from classical broadway theater to casino gambling to clubs of every genre' Louisville night-life seems adequate for a city of this size. As far as a nationally recognized school system encompassing all the schools in the system, only Oldham County makes sense. Until JCPS gets its US Supreme Court ordered student assignment plan finalized and approved, do not assume anything about where your child will attend public schools. Kids can play/learn at one of several museums, many with hands on, thrill parks, (3 within 90 min) baseball, basketball, & soccer abound, and don't discount what many churches in the area offer for kids.

Does this help?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2008, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Old Louisville
9 posts, read 23,685 times
Reputation: 15
The only problem with Oldham county is the drive into town. If you are willing to spend 20-30 minutes driving in, as well as living in more of a rural part of Louisville Metro, then Oldham Country is great for you. However, if you are interested in the nightlife, and being close to town, St Matthews, Crescent Hill, and parts of the Highlands may be for you. These areas dont have the open spaces or the rural feeling you have in most parts of Oldham County.
Right on the edge between St. Matthews and Crescent hill area is wonderful, great for the family, and right next to Seneca Park. I work in this neighborhood and see kids riding bikes all the time, people walking. Also, its right next to Frankfort Avenue, which has its own eclectic style of shops and bars. The highlands is also very friendly, and very close to the Bardstown Road nightlife.


I hope this helps!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2008, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,825 posts, read 13,625,983 times
Reputation: 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla17 View Post
The only problem with Oldham county is the drive into town. If you are willing to spend 20-30 minutes driving in, as well as living in more of a rural part of Louisville Metro, then Oldham Country is great for you. However, if you are interested in the nightlife, and being close to town, St Matthews, Crescent Hill, and parts of the Highlands may be for you. These areas dont have the open spaces or the rural feeling you have in most parts of Oldham County.
Right on the edge between St. Matthews and Crescent hill area is wonderful, great for the family, and right next to Seneca Park. I work in this neighborhood and see kids riding bikes all the time, people walking. Also, its right next to Frankfort Avenue, which has its own eclectic style of shops and bars. The highlands is also very friendly, and very close to the Bardstown Road nightlife.


I hope this helps!
I find no fault in the above except for the failure to mention that the drive time from Oldham County to downtown is about the same drivetime as from most of the good places to live in Jefferson County. For example, there is very little drive time difference from Douglas Loop to 1st & Main downtown.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2008, 09:26 PM
 
7,021 posts, read 15,379,091 times
Reputation: 3462
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I find no fault in the above except for the failure to mention that the drive time from Oldham County to downtown is about the same drivetime as from most of the good places to live in Jefferson County. For example, there is very little drive time difference from Douglas Loop to 1st & Main downtown.
HUH? There is no point in Oldham closer to downtown than the Highlands even in drive time. I challenge you. Prove it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2008, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,825 posts, read 13,625,983 times
Reputation: 2145
Don't forget, I lived in Cresent Hill. From I-71 Exit 14 to 3rd & Market, 20 minutes drive time. From Douglas Loop to 3rd & Market 20 minutes drive time. Proven!

I would gladly give 15 minutes each way to have the quality of life in Oldham County vs most of Jefferson County, but on a 20 day work month, exit 14 will be on the same scale as the Highlands.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2008, 06:40 AM
 
25 posts, read 60,380 times
Reputation: 15
Driving Directions from Prospect, KY to S 3rd St & W Market St, Louisville, KY (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/Prospect+KY/S+3rd+St+%26+W+Market+St+Louisville+KY+40202/ - broken link)

Even less without traffic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2008, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,825 posts, read 13,625,983 times
Reputation: 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBfromVA View Post
Driving Directions from Prospect, KY to S 3rd St & W Market St, Louisville, KY (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/Prospect+KY/S+3rd+St+%26+W+Market+St+Louisville+KY+40202/ - broken link)

Even less without traffic.
Good point, but remember, a large number of people living in Prospect zip code are actually in Oldham County.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:29 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top