Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 06:06 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Louisville does have a fairly large biking culture, and the completion of the Louisville Loop ,the 100 mile ring around the city, is the most ambitious park project in the nation. I know this for certain since i travel so much.

My cynical take as a former denzien of "Southwest" is that this is another "East End Thang"...the movers and shakers push the Floyds Fork park system, and when thats done the efforts will peter out and stop...

....the Okolona/Fairdale/Valley Station parts of this will stay "planned" (giving the city bragging rights about this wonderful loop they have "planned') but won't be executed.

@@@

I'm a cyclist so can speak with some authority on how cycle-friendly a city is. Yes, Louisville seems to be developing this urban/utility cycling subculture (if the bike shops I've seen are any indication), but the infrastructure is pretty weak and, once you get beyond the old city, nearly non-existent.

That map the city publishes is incorrect in what it shows as suburban bike lanes, sharrows, etc (I know this since I was scouting out some routes in Valley Station & Pleasure Ridge)

It's unsafe to go cycling out in the suburbs due to the narrow roads, lack of MUPs or bike lanes, and heavy traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 01:32 PM

142 posts, read 731,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Uh, that is a little rude I think. Who pays for trolleys in Memphis on Beale? New Orleans? It is not a dream; if the citizens/taxpayers of Louisville would wake up and realize the potential greatness of their city, you may see not a "boom" as thunderkat fears, but rather, positive sustained growth with good jobs for all.
So I see, "we the citizens/taxpayers" should see the potential greatness of our city as an incentive for us to pay yet even higher taxes so we can see "our dreams" come to fruition.
I'll have to think about that... BTW this tourism based "city of excitement" (Louisville) that is being proposed usually just increases crime/traffic with the additional stellar benefit of a plethora of minimum wage - dead end jobs with very little additional increase in tax revenue.

That's all we need is another VAT (value added tax) to finance someones dreams...

Thank you for your attention.

Cheers...

Old 12-14-2012, 10:39 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informer View Post
So I see, "we the citizens/taxpayers" should see the potential greatness of our city as an incentive for us to pay yet even higher taxes so we can see "our dreams" come to fruition.
I'll have to think about that... BTW this tourism based "city of excitement" (Louisville) that is being proposed usually just increases crime/traffic with the additional stellar benefit of a plethora of minimum wage - dead end jobs with very little additional increase in tax revenue.

That's all we need is another VAT (value added tax) to finance someones dreams...

Thank you for your attention.

Cheers...

I had a decent job BEFORE I even moved here with one of L'Ville oldest and most prestigious employers. Got it from our room in the Galt House while waiting for my Wife to take care of affairs with her new school. In the past 10 years, Ive lived in four states before KY. I can doubly, triply assure you that the job market here is a good one relative to the times. If you don believe me, move to Florida and see what you get. Cities that have "Dreams", remember their past, dont let developers run the local gov--i.e., San Fran, NY, Boston, etc appear to be very desirable places to live in the country. 'Dreams" as you put it, are an investment in quality-of-life for everyone in the city

Old 12-15-2012, 11:35 AM

797 posts, read 2,338,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
My cynical take as a former denzien of "Southwest" is that this is another "East End Thang"...the movers and shakers push the Floyds Fork park system, and when thats done the efforts will peter out and stop...

....the Okolona/Fairdale/Valley Station parts of this will stay "planned" (giving the city bragging rights about this wonderful loop they have "planned') but won't be executed.
Since you were saying this in response to a sentence about the Louisville Loop, I thought I would mention that the East End portion isn't open yet and the main section that is open, which is also where they started, runs around the west side and downtown only. Clearly, new park projects that need open land are going to be focused on the east and southeast side of town since that's the only way in which Louisville has to grow. The west side hasn't been forgotten. It has Shawnee park and golf course, Chickasaw park, Iroquois Park, and the Jefferson Memorial forest is massive. Plus there's the Farnsley-Moreman Landing.

I agree the bike lanes outside of I-264 are either scary or non-existent from what I've seen, but try not to be so cynical. You'll live longer and be happier

Old 12-15-2012, 11:11 PM

142 posts, read 731,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I had a decent job BEFORE I even moved here with one of L'Ville oldest and most prestigious employers. Got it from our room in the Galt House while waiting for my Wife to take care of affairs with her new school. In the past 10 years, Ive lived in four states before KY. I can doubly, triply assure you that the job market here is a good one relative to the times. If you don believe me, move to Florida and see what you get. Cities that have "Dreams", remember their past, dont let developers run the local gov--i.e., San Fran, NY, Boston, etc appear to be very desirable places to live in the country. 'Dreams" as you put it, are an investment in quality-of-life for everyone in the city
Greetings,

I'll wager you five hand-shakes that the employment which you acquired as readily as you claim, was not tourism based. This is the
type of jobs we need. Louisville - needs high quality jobs (jobs with a future) that pay well for college graduates.
NOT a tourism based economy (which seems to be the gist of the article we are discussing) - such as Florida (which you pointed out).

The rest will follow, including any "dreams".

This truly saddens me, that the "dreams" being described are esoteric in nature.

Cheers...

Last edited by Informer; 12-15-2012 at 11:26 PM..

Old 12-16-2012, 12:43 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informer View Post
Greetings,

I'll wager you five hand-shakes that the employment which you acquired as readily as you claim, was not tourism based. This is the
type of jobs we need. Louisville - needs high quality jobs (jobs with a future) that pay well for college graduates.
NOT a tourism based economy (which seems to be the gist of the article we are discussing) - such as Florida (which you pointed out).

The rest will follow, including any "dreams".

This truly saddens me, that the "dreams" being described are esoteric in nature.

Cheers...
You don't seem to understand. The types of folks who create jobs, who move jobs...they need to be lured to a city. They are being lured to cities who are environmentally friendly, safe, business friendly, progressive, and have good food and art scenes. The internet is equaling the playing field. In the next 10 years, over half the jobs out there will not require a physical prescence, but a virtual one. People, highly educated ones, will be able to choose where they want to live. Family will play a role but many will move to areas with the combination of best weather they enjoy and amenities/entertainment. Louisville MUST dream to produce that scene while being authentic to itself.

Louisville fits many of those categories and it needs amenities like better shopping and NBA teams to get those folks who wouldn't even consider a VISIT to Louisville, much less a move, to know about it. Thunderkat found Louisville by searching online (from what it sounds) for a hip, artistic city. It is these types of creatives who create jobs, renovate old buildings, and build the kind of city that everyone wants to live in.

Case in point. A new Chipotle franchise is going in downtown. The naysayers will say, great another 30 minimum wage jobs. But I look at it as someone, an entrepreneur, possibly from outside the region, has noticed Louisville and wanted to compete in its great foodie environment, even with all the competition.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:
You don't seem to understand. The types of folks who create jobs, who move jobs...they need to be lured to a city. They are being lured to cities who are environmentally friendly, safe, business friendly, progressive, and have good food and art scenes. The internet is equaling the playing field. In the next 10 years, over half the jobs out there will not require a physical prescence, but a virtual one. People, highly educated ones, will be able to choose where they want to live. Family will play a role but many will move to areas with the combination of best weather they enjoy and amenities/entertainment. Louisville MUST dream to produce that scene while being authentic to itself.

Louisville fits many of those categories and it needs amenities like better shopping and NBA teams to get those folks who wouldn't even consider a VISIT to Louisville, much less a move, to know about it. Thunderkat found Louisville by searching online (from what it sounds) for a hip, artistic city. It is these types of creatives who create jobs, renovate old buildings, and build the kind of city that everyone wants to live in.

Case in point. A new Chipotle franchise is going in downtown. The naysayers will say, great another 30 minimum wage jobs. But I look at it as someone, an entrepreneur, possibly from outside the region, has noticed Louisville and wanted to compete in its great foodie environment, even with all the competition.

<---"must spread rep before giving points?"

I have to check myself when the conversation turns to developers, but the reality is, the responsible ones help a city stay vibrant. Having lived in a few places that have traded culture and heritage for shopping and miles of strip malls, I will gladly pay a premium--however/whatever it might be-- to live in a place that funds parks, trees, restores old architecture and emphasizes the arts.
I think people in KY who complain that Louisville shouldn't be funding pedestrian and culture based initiatives are off-target. This is a cheap place to live even with the added expenses of living in Metro, and another reason I feel Louisville is an under-appreciated gem. I would hope our cities aim is to be on the radar of educated, culturally aware and city-proud individuals who want to put roots down rather than transients who are looking for the lowest possible COL or easiest place to dodge warrants, get prescription pills or a guest spot on COPS, ala South Florida

Old 12-16-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Thunderkat found Louisville by searching online (from what it sounds) for a hip, artistic city. It is these types of creatives who create jobs, renovate old buildings, and build the kind of city that everyone wants to live in.

One month after we got here, before all of our boxes were unpacked, I campaigned for a mayoral candidate and started attending Louisville 2020 meetings in our neighborhoods. That is not meant to be construed as an elitest bore-hog rambling--only to point out that I think some long-time Louisville residents take for granted what they have.

Sometimes the grass under your feet really is the greenest . . .

Old 12-16-2012, 09:56 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,217,406 times
The new portland....i dont think so maybe a hipper version of columbus or indy.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:02 AM

16 posts, read 28,528 times
I just moved here and am pleasantly surprised at how much there is to do, especially compared to the rest of Kentucky. I am a little concerned about the enviromental aspect, as our apartment complex does not recycle. I am planning on taking in my recycling but am confused as to whether or not I need to separate my recycling, and also if plastic bags (like from the grocery store) can be recycled... The website is a little unclear on the first point and the second is clearly stated on the website but I find it hard to believe! This will force me to remember to take the canvas bags out I guess. : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area