Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 07:06 AM

6 posts, read 15,034 times

Advertisements

Hi, I love city-data and have used this site for researching places to move all over the US. I will try to be clear on my question but any extra information is welcome. I picked La Grange to move to because #1 I want my kid to have a high ranking/reputation for school. I have never been there but research extensively on the internet. My ideal place to move would be a woodsy area but not necessarily WAY out in the sticks. La grange appeals to me that it's not far from Louisville where there are more employment opportunities. Plus I like to shop a little. I am coming from an area in NC where you can shoot guns in your front yard and very awesome mountainous terrain. My husband and I are in our 30s and have a 10 year old boy and a baby on the way. It seems hard to make friends with more upper class people because we don't exactly make as much money and are sometimes looked down upon for it. I'd like a place that people don't mind fireworks on 4th of july in the driveway, kids can play outside and run around, and where we won't get too judged for being lower/middle class people. Will I find this in La Grange? I know the surrounding areas are very wealthy and I just don't want to see my son isolated again by not having people our style available to play/spend time with. I am polite and a RN but I also like to feel relaxed and comfortable and not be in a neighborhood that's too uptight or (no offense) an elderly population for the sake of my son. Is there a down to earth place like that in Oldham county?

Thank you SO much for any input and I hope I didn't come across as sounding like a snob. Just don't want to make the move to an area I don't fit in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 06:10 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyPeople View Post
Hi, I love city-data and have used this site for researching places to move all over the US. I will try to be clear on my question but any extra information is welcome. I picked La Grange to move to because #1 I want my kid to have a high ranking/reputation for school. I have never been there but research extensively on the internet. My ideal place to move would be a woodsy area but not necessarily WAY out in the sticks. La grange appeals to me that it's not far from Louisville where there are more employment opportunities. Plus I like to shop a little. I am coming from an area in NC where you can shoot guns in your front yard and very awesome mountainous terrain. My husband and I are in our 30s and have a 10 year old boy and a baby on the way. It seems hard to make friends with more upper class people because we don't exactly make as much money and are sometimes looked down upon for it. I'd like a place that people don't mind fireworks on 4th of july in the driveway, kids can play outside and run around, and where we won't get too judged for being lower/middle class people. Will I find this in La Grange? I know the surrounding areas are very wealthy and I just don't want to see my son isolated again by not having people our style available to play/spend time with. I am polite and a RN but I also like to feel relaxed and comfortable and not be in a neighborhood that's too uptight or (no offense) an elderly population for the sake of my son. Is there a down to earth place like that in Oldham county?

Thank you SO much for any input and I hope I didn't come across as sounding like a snob. Just don't want to make the move to an area I don't fit in.
Is there an idealistic place as you have described in Oldham County? Yes, no, & maybe. Far northeastern Oldham County (35-45 minutes from downtown Louisville) is a place you can shoot your gun freely. Anything west of KY 53 becomes problematic for free exercising of your shooting rights.

Now, back to everyday living. I live in Southwestern Oldham County. We love Oldham County, although it does have problems as you would find with any growing community. For the most part, I would share that it's the people that make life so much gentler in OC.

Will you fit in and find friends? That will be up to you. If you come here and accept us for our flaws, our idiocracies, our "us", then you will find lots of great friends.

The schools are rated as the best public schools in Kentucky. While that may be mediocre in some states, you will note that several students per year are National Merit Finalists.

Hope you enjoy your time here.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:29 AM

6 posts, read 15,034 times
Thank you!!! That helps a lot. I do like all sorts of people but just wanted to try and find a neighborhood that I don't upset any neighbors that are looking for peace and quiet. My husband works on his truck outside and I'm known to play with the dog and frisbee and use power tools. I didn't know if OC was more like a community for people who would be irritated with our dirt bikes and kids playing in the yard. I'm coming from Asheville, NC and love the people but I find some of the more prestigious residents are a bit stringent on rules. My son is in gifted and has excelled in school since he was little so I'd hate to have to lose that streak for him and go to a place that schools are not known to provide a challenging environment. I also am crossing my fingers La Grange will be a good fit for us but I haven't been yet! Only researched on internet. I've read post after post about how awesome the people in Kentucky are. Granted everyone has flaws but that is what makes people different and interesting.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:45 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
It is important that you give yourself lots of space. Odds are you will need to head towards NE OC. There are some very good opportunities in the area. Your budget will dictate much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area