Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 11:11 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I figured that was the reason nschro.....there is a party store in Prospect off of Highway 42 - I think their liquor is in an adjoining room...seems like TJ's could do the same.....I personally don't get the separation of liquor thing - does it make people drink less? What is the thinking behind that law?
Exactly....thats what Whole Foods does too. All major grocery stores just have the liquor in a separate enclosed room out front (as long as you have to step outside first to get in the grocery its legal)...in some cases its better for sales because you walk up and see the liquor first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,653 times
Default I feel confined!!!!!

I recently moved from New York and find this area in need of places like Trader Joe's in order to have an alternative that competes with Whole Foods, Rainbow Blossom. The latter is ridiculously overpriced whilst managing to manipulate most of their reviews, therefore misleading people who seek quality over trend.
How is it that gas prices can go down yet Whole Foods still charges 4 bugs for a pint of soup made of turning produce and lots of condiments, not to mention all the other left overs they market as quality prepared foods........??????!!!!

Old 10-18-2009, 04:33 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,456 times
I have to say I have not been over-impressed with either the selection or the prices at Whole Foods or Rainbow Blossom. The people who work there are very nice, but it's difficult to get value shopping ther.

Another vote for Trader Joe's, and I've never even been inside one!

Old 10-19-2009, 05:40 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
We are periodically making the drive to Cincinnati...we take our insulated bags. We shop at other stores, have lunch and then hit Trader Joe's on the way home....we make it a fun trip and still get our TJ food in the house. TJ's is so much cheaper on many of their specialty food items.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:54 AM

54 posts, read 128,873 times
I believe there's a Trader Joe's in Indianapolis as well. All things being equal, I wonder which is an easier drive, Indy or Cincy?

And here it is, almost the end of 2009 and still no word of TJ's for Louisville?

Old 10-19-2009, 11:41 AM

174 posts, read 404,008 times
I'm being serious when I ask, what is the big appeal to Trader Joe's? I have one 2 minutes from my house and when it opened, it was like a carnival. I went out of curiosity, and boy was I disappointed. To me it's not worth the two minute drive, let alone two hours to Cincy. I don't get it, maybe I'm missing something. I'll admit our Harris Teeters (grocery stores) are about as nice as I've seen and I can get just about anything there - Are the regular grocery stores in Louisville just that bad?

So, other than $2 wine (which is really 3 buck chuck) what is the draw? Please help me understand....

Old 10-19-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzLobster View Post
I believe there's a Trader Joe's in Indianapolis as well. All things being equal, I wonder which is an easier drive, Indy or Cincy?
I think Cincy is the easier drive. About 30 minutes closer and I don't think the traffic is as bad.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbyChoice View Post
Are the regular grocery stores in Louisville just that bad?
I don't think they are bad per se -- just very average and limited.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:08 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
You don't get alot of organic specialty stuff at the regular groceries here

Old 10-20-2009, 03:48 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbyChoice View Post
I'm being serious when I ask, what is the big appeal to Trader Joe's? I have one 2 minutes from my house and when it opened, it was like a carnival. I went out of curiosity, and boy was I disappointed. To me it's not worth the two minute drive, let alone two hours to Cincy. I don't get it, maybe I'm missing something. I'll admit our Harris Teeters (grocery stores) are about as nice as I've seen and I can get just about anything there - Are the regular grocery stores in Louisville just that bad?

So, other than $2 wine (which is really 3 buck chuck) what is the draw? Please help me understand....
You are kidding, right? Trader Joe's is always packed with people - they have a hard time keeping their food on the shelves. Do you not eat fresh, wholesome and inexpensive foods?

I think Trader Joe's products are very good, fresh and tasty and generally inexpensive. I buy things there like pasta sauce and other specialty meat and fish sauces, pesto, lemon curd - those things are sooo much cheaper at Trader Joe's than Kroger's or Whole Food's. They have a wonderful and vast selection of breads, meats, cereals, nuts, chips, cheeses (their quadruple cream brie is fabulous for parties), dairy products - their cheeses are especially good and different and again, much cheaper than what I'm finding in Louisville. I used to buy all our vitamins and cleaning products there - great selection and less money (and planet friendly).

Their produce is usually very good, fresh and less money. I always used to buy their fresh flowers and plants (spring daffodils, Christmas wreaths & greens, wonderful cheap orchids) - I could never beat the quality or price. The variety of meats is great - their kosher chicken, chicken sausages, chemical-free bacon, bacon wrapped turkey filets, steaks, lunch meats, ready-made foods - so good and less money. They have the best (and most reasonably priced) pasta and whole grain mixes (they have a wild rice blend and whole wheat couscous that is high fiber and so delicious and about 1/2 the price of similar products here).

I used to buy their wonderful sodas for parties - French lemonaid, limeaid, blood orange soda, pomegranite soda, etc....about 50% cheaper than here (when you can find them). Their high quality imported baking chocolate is much cheaper too as are their nuts and dried fruits (large variety from all over the world). I love their speciality foods at Christmas - German cookies and pastries, pepermint hot chocolate, apricot and cranberry studded goat cheese, etc.

For anyone who loves a wide and often changing variety of inexpensive fresh food, Trader Joe's is great. I really miss Trader Joe's being so close to us - I would shop there at least twice a week and sometimes more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area