Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 08:55 AM

80 posts, read 158,862 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to relocate from Virginia (which, to us, is almost perfect) for better job opportunities. We've decided we're only going to apply for jobs in places we really want to live. Louisville has come up and seems like a nice place to live. I'm looking for a general feel, though, and was hoping for some feedback. Thank you in advance.

Liberal, conservative, moderate?

Religious, secular, live and let live?

Outdoors-y, indoors-y?

Family-oriented, singles-oriented?

More sunny than cloudy, more cloudy than sunny?

Humid, dry, temperate?

Hot, cold, temperate?

Greener and lusher, drier and browner?

White collar, blue collar, no collar?

More educated population, less educated population?

Open-minded, more traditional?

Lots of culture, less culture?

Foodies-haven, fast food-haven?

Friendly, keep to yourself?

Lots of crime, not so much crime, even our prisons don't have locks?

I realize some of these questions may seem stupid, but you get the general gist. Please feel free to add any information you think might be relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 10:51 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,887 times
Even though I don't live in Louisville, my family is from Kentucky and I DO have family in Louisville. Besides I've visited and stayed many times. Just for fun, here's my take on Louisville:

1.) Liberal, conservative, moderate - Although, older folks or more rural Kentuckians living in Louisville will definately tend to be more conservative. Younger folks and folks from other parts of the US, not so much

2.) Religious, secular, live and let live - This once again kind of relays my response above. Traditional Louisville families, especially those with ties to rural Kentucky will be "religious" I guess if you'd like to say. "Church going folks" is how I'd put it. The only church the young UofL folks worship at is probably the local bar or club LOL

3.) Outdoors-y, indoors-y - Summer, outdoorsy, winter indoorsy (LOL)

4.) Family-oriented, singles-oriented - My take is that Louisville is more family oriented, although there's folks of all kinds there.

5.) More sunny than cloudy, more cloudy than sunny - Hmm depends on the year I think. Winters are gloomy and cloudy, alot like Virginia I'd suspect. Summers can be very sunny and nice...buyt sometimes cloudy with rain.

6.) Humid, dry, temperate - This was an easy one. Most DEFINATELY humid! Especially during the summer.....trust me.

7.) Hot, cold, temperate - I'd have to choose temperate because summers are very hot and long and humid most years. Yet, winters are pretty cold, yet also fairly mild compared to points further north. Louisville is right on the northern cusp of the "humid-subtropical" zone, and next to where the "humid-continental" zone begins....so right on the border.

8.) Greener and lusher, drier and browner - Louisville has beautiful parks, is surrounded by high conical forested hills called "knobs" and also farms of corn, tobacco and soybean. Kentucky is a "very" green place!

9.) White collar, blue collar, no collar? - How about both collars. East Louisville and north seems to be white collar. South of Louisville and west seems to be more blue collar. I'd go with mnostly blue collar though.

10.) More educated population, less educated population - Once again I think it depends on local demographics...it seems to be a mix to me. But if I had to guess, I'd say a bit more less educated: Am I wrong?

11.) Open-minded, more traditional - I dunno, another tough one, because these are terms that can be taken in different ways by different folks. Ask alot of folks what they consider "open minded" and you be suprised at the myriad of responses. Open minded as in liberal? yeah well younger folks, college minded people. Older folks are more ste in their ways and conservative, even middle age....so it's kind of a political question.

12.) Lots of culture, less culture - Once again culture as in? Culture is different things to different folks? I think Louisville has alot ot offer for alot of diff folks to be honest.....a little sump'n for everybody!

13.) Foodies-haven, fast food-haven - Everything I've read about points to Louisville as being foodie

14.) Friendly, keep to yourself - Friendly in my opinion, mostly. Friendlier than alot of cities I've been to. Louisville being on the souths northern border still has a bit of the southern friendliness in some areas but in others no. I think it depends on the class of people your with and "where" in Louisville as well. But Kentucky generally is a pretty friendly place for the most part.

15.) Lots of crime, not so much crime, even our prisons don't have locks - Well, compared to where I'm at now, everywhere is safer LOL. I've heard the Kentucky is one of the safest states in the union and Louisville in a comparable list of crime stats for cities is on the "safer" end of the spectrum. But once again, it's "enquire locally" with regards to any Louisville neighborhoods before you purchase as crime and insecurity seems to be a bit "hit or miss" in Louisville compared to whgat I've heard from the folks here on the forum. However generally, it's safer than probably most US cities.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:39 AM

80 posts, read 158,862 times
Thank you so much, Eric!! I'd hoped that someone would answer at least *some* of my questions--but you answered them all--and so well!! I really appreciate it. We've done country-wide job searches before (some successfully, some not so much), and we really want to find *the* place this time. The kids are getting older--we need to settle somewhere! Your response is putting Louisville very much at the top of the list.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflower Summer View Post
Thank you so much, Eric!! I'd hoped that someone would answer at least *some* of my questions--but you answered them all--and so well!! I really appreciate it. We've done country-wide job searches before (some successfully, some not so much), and we really want to find *the* place this time. The kids are getting older--we need to settle somewhere! Your response is putting Louisville very much at the top of the list.
Well, to be fair, I've never actually lived in Louisville but I have some family there and I've visited many times. However, I have family roots that go waayyy back in Kentucky and run very deep. My argentine wife and I are immigrating to the US later this year and have our sights set on the city as well for a myriad of reasons.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:16 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Louisville has a bit of everything, from gentrified urban liberal areas to moderate suburbs to conservative rural outlying areas. It has one of the lowest homicide rates among the larger metro areas, most violent crime is west and southwest of downtown. I feel very safe in most areas. It is known for being a very good foodie city and has an outstanding park system and has affordable housing.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:48 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Louisville has a bit of everything, from gentrified urban liberal areas to moderate suburbs to conservative rural outlying areas. It has one of the lowest homicide rates among the larger metro areas, most violent crime is west and southwest of downtown. I feel very safe in most areas. It is known for being a very good foodie city and has an outstanding park system and has affordable housing.
Louisville is an odd city to understand, its a little bit Southern, a little bit Midwestern. It has country people and city people. It has a little bit of everything so its hard to define like Cincinnati. If you are not from Kentucky it has little in common with the rest of the state of Kentucky.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:30 AM

68 posts, read 106,436 times
Quote:
Depends on where in Louisville. Upper income areas such as the eastern suburbs and the outlying areas around the city tend to be decisively conservative. Urban neighborhoods such as the Highlands, Old Louisville and Crescent Hill tend to be more liberal or progressive. Lots of moderate areas too, though. As a whole, the county tends to vote Democrat in major elections. Politically, the city is at odds with the state as a whole, like many other cities.

Quote:
Again, depends. Overall, live and let live. Louisville does have a sizable Catholic population. At the same time, there are a couple Mosques (Islam) and many denominations of Christianity. The Presbyterian Church is headquartered in Louisville. There are some Unitarian churches as well. There are also non-Abrahamic religions/philosophies of practice such as a major Buddhist center and monastery. The city holds the Festival of Faiths annually.

Quote:
Outdoors-y, indoors-y?
Louisville is very strong with outdoor activity. Cherokee Park is a very large urban park designed by Frederick Olmsted (well-known for many parks including Central Park in NYC). Many other urban parks too.

The Louisville Loop is a partially-completed paved bicycle trail that encircles the city. Becoming more and more bike-friendly as many streets have bicycle lanes popping up, particularly in the older urban neighborhoods. Waterfront Park is huge and lines the Ohio river, and is a wonderful newer addition to the city. The Big Four bridge is a pedestrian bridge that connects with Jeffersonville, IN.

Places to check out nearby are Bernheim Forest, the Parklands of Floyd's Fork, and Hoosier National Forest.

Quote:
Both, depending on location.

Quote:
Humid, dry, temperate?
Summers can tend to be a pretty humid (and hot), and the air can stagnate in the Ohio Valley, depending on the year. Louisville has a temperate climate, and winters really aren't that bad. Summers can be stormy with some tornadoes.

Quote:
Eastern suburbs, mostly white collar. Urban neighborhoods, no collar or blue collar. Across the river in Southern Indiana, a mix of all three together.

Quote:
Follow the money.

Quote:
Huge foodie town, and becoming well-known as one. Virtually every ethnic food available with many farmer's markets and restaurants that serve only local meats and produce. Particularly, the Highlands, NuLu and Crescent Hill.

Quote:
The usual for a mid-sized city. Check the City-Data Louisville page. Certain areas with violent crime, and usual property crime scattered everywhere.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:19 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Quote:
My family is looking to relocate from Virginia (which, to us, is almost perfect) for better job opportunities. We've decided we're only going to apply for jobs in places we really want to live. Louisville has come up and seems like a nice place to live. I'm looking for a general feel, though, and was hoping for some feedback. Thank you in advance.

Kentucky as a state is very conservative, but Louisville is much more progressive and Liberal. But, it'
is much more of a mix, as in most larger cities.

Well, it is in the Bible belt, so historically it does have strong religious ties,but the feel to me has always been "live and let live"...

Outdoors-y, indoors-y?

Outdoorsy definitely.

Family orientated (but then again maybe it's just me, I haven't been single in decades!)

More sunny than cloudy, more cloudy than sunny?

Mostly sunny....at times it can get a little gray and dreary in the winter.

Humid, dry, temperate?

Humid.

Hot, cold, temperate?

Temperate - probably very similar to the weather and climate you have in Virginia.
(We are bordering states.)

Greener and lusher, drier and browner?

Very green! (A little brown this time of year.)

Mixture...

Mixture.

Open-minded, more traditional?

Sort of both really...if that makes any sense.

Lots of culture, less culture?

Lots of culture!

Foodie haven!

Friendly, keep to yourself?

More friendly as a whole.

There are a couple of spots to avoid (as you find in any city), but as a whole ...much less crime than you find in many larger cities.

I realize some of these questions may seem stupid, but you get the general gist. Please feel free to add any information you think might be relevant.
Not one stupid question amongst the bunch! Welcome to the Louisville forum!

Old 01-27-2015, 10:30 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Not one stupid question amongst the bunch! Welcome to the Louisville forum!

GO CATS.. still Number one the Nation and unbeaten 19-0.. GO BIG BLUE.. hopefully we take home Number 9 this year.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
GO CATS.. still Number one the Nation and unbeaten 19-0.. GO BIG BLUE.. hopefully we take home Number 9 this year.
My argentine wife is leaning towards becoming a "UofL" fan...I consider this a major crisis! My entire family, save for "2" cousins are all diehard MAJOR UK fans. They'll disown her and me for letting her go UofL if I don't do something quick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area