Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 12:22 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,623 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I'm from Kansas City and we have a town where the state line of Kansas and Missouri basically go down the middle of it. I am wondering what your take is on Louisville's situation with a metro with the state line going through it. Do you think the states compete against each other to improve the area or hurt it? Do you see it as an advantage or disadvantage? Do you really like one state and dislike another? Kansas City has had issues with companies jumping from one state to another and not moving far to have companies get free tax breaks and not increase jobs in the overall region so one state could "gain" jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 02:13 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
Hey everyone!

I'm from Kansas City and we have a town where the state line of Kansas and Missouri basically go down the middle of it. I am wondering what your take is on Louisville's situation with a metro with the state line going through it. Do you think the states compete against each other to improve the area or hurt it? Do you see it as an advantage or disadvantage? Do you really like one state and dislike another? Kansas City has had issues with companies jumping from one state to another and not moving far to have companies get free tax breaks and not increase jobs in the overall region so one state could "gain" jobs
The stateline doesn't go through Louisville, although I see what you're saying, it does disect the "metro" area.
Actually "Kentucky owns the river, Indiana doesn't get to claim even a drop" the state line between Indiana and Kentucky is always where the Ohio river laps the north shore on the Indiana bank.....and this is true believe it or not!

I don't know about economics, although Kentucky is generally cheaper, but their has always existed kinda of a rivalry between Indiana and Kentucky and believe it or not, it's quite different from one side of the river to the other in many aspects.

For example:

"Did you know "Hoosiers" ( people from Indiana ) don't drink tea or Kool-Aid like Kentuckians?"

"Do you know why?"

"Because no matter how hard they try, they still haven't figured out how to add 2 quarts of water to that tiny package!"

Used to be a silly joke I heard as a kid growing when I was there..

I'm gonna get grief for this one I know it!!

Old 12-03-2014, 02:16 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Wildcats own the Hooisers

Old 12-03-2014, 02:43 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
The Kentucky side dominates economically, population / population growth, and is home to pretty much every major important institution - universities, museums, hospitals, airport, etc. The population of the metro area is 90% KY / 10% IN. KC is much more even. Culturally the counties in the Louisville MSA are basically auxiliary counties of KY in terms of culture and sports team affiliations.

The 2 new bridges that will soon open will slightly change things. There is a large industrial park near Utica IN that will add over 10,000 mid wage warehouse jobs (it's an old WWII ammunition factory). One bridge will open up parts of Indiana to the affluent high growth area of NE Louisville. The main feather Indiana has in its cap is the houses are much cheaper in apples to apples areas. $100k buys a really nice house over there. The same house on the more expensive end of Louisville would cost nearly half as much in a safe area across the river.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:22 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
The stateline doesn't go through Louisville, although I see what you're saying, it does disect the "metro" area.
Actually "Kentucky owns the river, Indiana doesn't get to claim even a drop" the state line between Indiana and Kentucky is always where the Ohio river laps the north shore on the Indiana bank.....and this is true believe it or not!

I don't know about economics, although Kentucky is generally cheaper, but their has always existed kinda of a rivalry between Indiana and Kentucky and believe it or not, it's quite different from one side of the river to the other in many aspects.

For example:

"Did you know "Hoosiers" ( people from Indiana ) don't drink tea or Kool-Aid like Kentuckians?"

"Do you know why?"

"Because no matter how hard they try, they still haven't figured out how to add 2 quarts of water to that tiny package!"

Used to be a silly joke I heard as a kid growing when I was there..

I'm gonna get grief for this one I know it!!
Yeah, during Shermagedon, one 502ss poster said they should rebuild the bridge all the way to Chicago, and pass over indiana all together.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:32 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Yeah, during Shermagedon, one 502ss poster said they should rebuild the bridge all the way to Chicago, and pass over indiana all together.
How many hoosiers does it take to change a light bulb?

Old 12-05-2014, 09:13 AM

46 posts, read 218,986 times
There will be tolls on the bridges and it's kind of steep so you would want to live and work on the same side. I've lived in Indiana and it has a nice small town feel but I hated the traffic backups on the bridge's so I ultimately moved back to the Kentucky side where I work.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:50 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
How many hoosiers does it take to change a light bulb?
"What's a lightbulb?"

My girlfriend is a Hoosier, I give it to her every chance for coming fron the Land Of IN.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:08 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The Kentucky side dominates economically, population / population growth, and is home to pretty much every major important institution - universities, museums, hospitals, airport, etc. The population of the metro area is 90% KY / 10% IN. KC is much more even. Culturally the counties in the Louisville MSA are basically auxiliary counties of KY in terms of culture and sports team affiliations.

The 2 new bridges that will soon open will slightly change things. There is a large industrial park near Utica IN that will add over 10,000 mid wage warehouse jobs (it's an old WWII ammunition factory). One bridge will open up parts of Indiana to the affluent high growth area of NE Louisville. The main feather Indiana has in its cap is the houses are much cheaper in apples to apples areas. $100k buys a really nice house over there. The same house on the more expensive end of Louisville would cost nearly half as much in a safe area across the river.
Not really true. Indiana suburbs make up around 22% of the metro area, and they are only 5 counties compared to 8 in KY. Clark County Indiana, Louisville's largest and most populous suburban county, has as much population as 5 outer MSA KY counties combined...I am looking at you Meade, Spencer, Trimble, Henry, etc.

For some unknown reasons, Scott Co Indiana was removed from the MSA in 2010. I make no sense of this other than Indiana does weird manipulations to their definitions to make Indianapolis seem larger than it is.

S. Indiana was until recently the only outlying Louisville MSA counties with its own mall and even basic stores like Target! (finally a new mall in suburban Shelby County, KY).

S. Indiana is highly underrated, and I suspect the new bridge will "open some people's" eyes as to the possibilities there. That and all the jobs that River Ridge is going to produce (should be over 10,000 in the next 3-5 years), and you will see more and more people living there. Downtown Jeffersonville and New Albany are as nice or nicer than any downtown in the state of Indiana save for Bloomington and Indianapolis. I would much rather spend a day in Louisville's suburban downtown New Albany than the drab and DEAD downtown in Terre Haute, Ft. Wayne, and South Bend. Even Evansville's downtown, with all its improvements, really isn't any better than New Albany! New Albany has a chance to be a cute historic tourist draw much like Madison and Columbus have become in Indiana. Super underrated areas over there and great cheap, historic housing stock. Oh, and about Madison. Once the east end bridge opens it will be less than 45 minutes to Prospect. What a beautiful area that is.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:32 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
I sell real estate on both sides of the Ohio River.

Actually, just for the record, the Kentucky/Northwest Territory line was the 1792 low water mark of the Ohio River. The river is a living body of water, and it changes shorelines with regularity. Example, Ellis Park, a horse racing track on the northern side of the current channel of the Ohio River, is fully in Kentucky.

Now back to the ranch, there are significant differences in the people of Kentucky and S. Indiana. It's almost klanish. Maybe it's just the way taxes and government have affected each, or maybe it's the Germanic heritage which prevails S. Indiana vs the Anglo heritage that prevails in Kentucky. Each group have their idiosyncrasies and peculiarities. Each group has their quirks, too. They also have their appealing attributes.
There is also flat land in Indiana. Hills hide people and what they do. Hoosiers are much more likely to be Lutheran and religiously liberal, while Kentuckians are much more likely to be Baptist and religiously conservative, although Louisville itself is one of the most Catholic communities in the nation.
Politically, Indiana is more conservative. It's divisions are basically city vs rural. Kentucky's political divisions are essentially the mountains vs the rest. Until the US Civil War, Kentucky was noted for its educational leadership. There were great colleges here such as Centre, Transylvania, Georgetown, and the Ursulines. The Civil War tore Kentucky apart. Indiana didn't have to deal with the separate but united challenges that continue to affect Kentucky, unlike any other state in the nation.
Indiana is much friendlier to small businesses. Kentucky is a horrible business climate, and the people suffer because small businesses can't operate with flexibility and reasonable taxation. The bureaucracy of Frankfort is stifulling.
I love my Kentucky heritage, but hate what my grandchildren will likely face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area