Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 04:08 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,860,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
The only fact is Louisville was never in the confederacy and was a union stronghold. It is a heavily industrial, irish, german, and catholic city, much like the Midwest. In 1937, it had a Jewish population of almost 15,000. That was unheard of in the true "south" at that time.

Being in the south in 2016 is a good thing as the south is booming. But you certainly do not hear people argue if Jackson, MS is in the south. People argue over Louisville because it is a true hybrid. Most folks in Louisville with accents grew up in rural KY. Long time Louisville natives usually have no accent. Those that do have an "Ohio River Vally" or inland accent. You are mistaking this for Southern but they are 180 degrees different,
LMAO, the University of Pennsylvania and many other studies classify the accent as Southern. I'm not mistaking it for Southern and neither are they. You are trying to minimize Louisville's Southerness because you hate Southerness. Maybe that's something you oughta work on with your therapist.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:38 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Oh the black and the white and the lack of grey. Half of my friends in Louisville have accents/ half don't. What drives me nuts is the lack of common sense with these things. Louisville is very much in a geographical transition zone. If you're downtown Louisville you're in the south. If you're downtown New Albany you're in the Midwest? The only thing that separates them is 1/2 mile of river. It drives me nuts how people only seem to understand Indiana=Midwest. Kentucky=South. Evansville Indiana is geographically further south than Louisville, but if you called it southern on here, that would be fighting words to a few overly intense posters.

Louisville is a Southern city with Midwestern industries, Midwestern infrastructure, Midwestern decline and resurgence, and Midwestern suburbs( i.e. Clark/Floyd County Indiana). It also has southern charm, southern housing stock, and southern courtesy. It has BOTH Midwestern and Southern values. These aren't good or bad things, they simple are.
great post!! I would only argue Louisville is a Midwest city that is close to half southern due to its state and mainly, its south burbs.

I think this is why mayor fischer says its not southern

Old 05-01-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Louisville is definitly the south, I'm under the impression that 99 percent of ppl in the USA would automatically associate it with the south. It's not like being part of the south is a sin lol.
Damn I've never heard of a non midwestern city claiming/desperately wanting to be associated with the midwest before.
Louisville is TRYING to be southern bc the south is booming thus the rise in recent decades of it promoting bourbon, southern dress, food, etc.

Bottom line is the city is very mixed snd that makes it cool

Old 05-01-2016, 05:29 PM

166 posts, read 158,232 times
Quote:
So says the Mayor:
Confederate memorial to be removed from Univ. of Louisville | WCNC.com
I can assure you that this would not happen in any other city in the southeast US (to remove a confederate monument).
Wrong.

Quote:
Lee Circle no more: New Orleans to remove 4 Confederate statues
Quote:
Lee Circle will lose the statue of its namesake after the New Orleans City Council voted 6-1 Thursday (Dec. 17) to remove four monuments related to the Confederacy from their prominent perches around the city.
Lee Circle no more: New Orleans to remove 4 Confederate statues | NOLA.com

Old 05-01-2016, 06:37 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Go find someone to play with, little girl...
You admitted you are not familiar with Louisville, and that you learned information through this site. Then you go on to typical name calling when you are called out for it. I hope that you continue to "learn" from others who are familiar with the city instead of making generalizations through your internet searches.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I hate to break it you, @Peter, but having memorials dedicated to the Confederacy isn't the only indicator of whether a state is Southern or not...

I'm not familiar with Louisville. I have no reason to doubt that it is an outlier of Southern cities; I live in a city that, while richly steeped in Southern history, is very much in this era an outlier amongst Southern cities as well. So that isn't what I'm arguing...

Kentucky is without a doubt a Southern state (I've been to Hopkinsville). The Louisville metro is without a doubt mostly Southern (I have an ex-girlfriend who moved to Elizabethtown from Upstate New York). Louisville City? I only passed through on my way to Indianapolis, but I'm not inclined to believe that its so far removed from its Southern lineage as to believe it is no longer Southern. Everyone I've ever met from there (two people) have seemed and sounded Southern, and everyone I know whose been (about five people or so), no one described it as "un-Southern"...

I've learned through this site that it has heavy Midwest influences, and shares some commonalities with Richmond. I learned through people I know that it is a wonderful and unique city; NOBODY told me they didn't like it. For whatever that's worth...

My overwhelming idea is that most people from the Northeast, West Coast, and Upper Midwest view it as Southern still, while people in the Lower Midwest view it as moreso Midwestern. I think the opinions of Southerners are dependent upon where in the South you are at...

Although I'm torn on the Confederate memorial debates that have been waged across the South in recent years, kudos to the mayor for ripping it down. That takes courage. Kentucky and Louisville didn't have as much bond to the Confederacy as other Southern states, but that still took courage for him to do....

That alone, though, is NOT the only identifier of Southernisms, or whether a place is in the South or not...
People in the Lower Midwest view Louisville as Southern as well. I am one Lower Midwesterner who will never put my city and Louisville in the same grouping.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Louisville is TRYING to be southern bc the south is booming thus the rise in recent decades of it promoting bourbon, southern dress, food, etc.

Bottom line is the city is very mixed snd that makes it cool
Louisville IS Southern. You just don't get it. It is not a Midwestern city. Never has been and never will be.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Louisville IS Southern. You just don't get it. It is not a Midwestern city. Never has been and never will be.
Louisville is just slightly more southern than St Louis. Trust me, I wish Louisville was even more southern then it would be booming like Atlanta or Nashville. It is doing really well though.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Louisville is just slightly more southern than St Louis. Trust me, I wish Louisville was even more southern then it would be booming like Atlanta or Nashville. It is doing really well though.
Louisville is A LOT more Southern than St. Louis. St. Louis isn't Southern at all. Louisville is southern culturally and linguistically and historically. Don't even try and pull that one on me. Louisville is a Southern city. St. Louis is a Midwestern one. Period. End of story. No two ways about it. Embrace Louisville's Southerness instead of trying to deny it. Maybe you'll live longer.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Louisville is A LOT more Southern than St. Louis. St. Louis isn't Southern at all. Louisville is southern culturally and linguistically and historically. Don't even try and pull that one on me. Louisville is a Southern city. St. Louis is a Midwestern one. Period. End of story. No two ways about it. Embrace Louisville's Southerness instead of trying to deny it. Maybe you'll live longer.
Your trolling about Louisville's southernness is very disturbing. That is about as stereotypical as me saying STL all of STL is the hood because of North STL and places like Ferguson. STL is most definitely very southern in parts, even with architecture that is southern in many urban neighborhoods, and plenty of south Missouri folks with accents. Realistically, I would say Louisville is 40-50% southern, and STL is probably 25-30% southern. You don't just "cross a line" and pass from south to north.

I will stick with Louisville's mayor who says the city is not southern. Once again, you NEVER see threads arguing if Birmingham or Nashville are southern. That is because they ARE southern. Louisville is a blend, I live here, and that is a FACT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area