Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 07:24 PM

387 posts, read 491,925 times

Advertisements

Anybody agree that Louisville Metro was a bad idea. I think it was and I can cite a few reasons.

A) Taxes have risen astronomically.

B) The old City of Louisville still suffers from urban decay.

C) Folks living in all the other incorporated cities such as Shively, St. Matthews, Anchorage, Lyndon, Poplar Hills, etc. aren't happy with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 09:53 AM

236 posts, read 319,578 times
Really the Metro should be expanded to cover the entire metropolitan area. That way the affluent can't move a few miles away across an imaginary line to avoid paying their fair share of taxes.

Municipalities in America zone to prevent the poor from living in affluent tax districts. The affluent then sneer at the "big government, highly taxed cities". If everyone chipped in on a regional level, tax rates would not need to be so high.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:53 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,102,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1813 View Post
Really the Metro should be expanded to cover the entire metropolitan area. That way the affluent can't move a few miles away across an imaginary line to avoid paying their fair share of taxes.

Municipalities in America zone to prevent the poor from living in affluent tax districts. The affluent then sneer at the "big government, highly taxed cities". If everyone chipped in on a regional level, tax rates would not need to be so high.
What you are saying is that people should not have the freedom to choose where they want to live and when. Is that correct?

Old 07-28-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1813 View Post

With that being said the Metro should cover the Indiana suburbs such as Clarksville and New Albany as well. But I do think you make a good point. What they could of done is leave Louisville city and Jefferson County separate and form a supraregional government that could cover Bullitt and Oldham counties in Kentucky as well as Clark and Floyd counties in Indiana. And I think they should do that for every metropolitan area in the US.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPetty View Post
With that being said the Metro should cover the Indiana suburbs such as Clarksville and New Albany as well. But I do think you make a good point. What they could of done is leave Louisville city and Jefferson County separate and form a supraregional government that could cover Bullitt and Oldham counties in Kentucky as well as Clark and Floyd counties in Indiana. And I think they should do that for every metropolitan area in the US.
Just curious. Not familiar with this Metro concept. Do the voters of each Municipality vote to decide whether or not they want be a part of Metro?

Old 07-28-2016, 02:10 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,492,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Just curious. Not familiar with this Metro concept. Do the voters of each Municipality vote to decide whether or not they want be a part of Metro?
In Louisville it was an overlay system that was voted across the whole county. Existing cities within Jefferson Co retained everything they already had but with merger they could also vote for a new countywide mayor and council districts. It really didn't change that much other than inflating the official city population from 260k to 600k, the 150k people living in independent cities are not counted in that figure.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
In Louisville it was an overlay system that was voted across the whole county. Existing cities within Jefferson Co retained everything they already had but with merger they could also vote for a new countywide mayor and council districts. It really didn't change that much other than inflating the official city population from 260k to 600k, the 150k people living in independent cities are not counted in that figure.
Thanks.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Will it would all depend. When a consolidated city-county forms, voters in other municipalities in the county can decide do have their municipality of residence intact but they will still join the city-county. In the case of Louisville, voters in all the other municipalities in Jefferson County were allowed to keep their cities but they were to join the Metro as well. But at the same time, the satellite cities weren't cut a fair deal about it. This cronie Jerry Abramson decided to raise taxes astronomically for all the citizens of Louisville Metro. And that's one of the reasons why I thought it was a bad idea. Now when Lexington consolidated with Fayette County back in the 70s, the city of Lexington incorporated all of Fayette County with no other incorporated city in the county. I do not know if Fayette County had any other incorporated city prior to the consolidation. I'd have to dig up a map of the old City of Lexington from the 60s or early 70s. Indianapolis and Nashville followed the same concept, when they consolidate with their respective counties they allowed other incorporated cities to remain intact. As in the case of Indianapolis, there are four incorporated cities that are in Marion County but not in the Indianapolis city limits, which are Beech Grove, Speedway, Southport, and Lawrence. Now to give you a blanket explaination when a consolidated city-county forms, the city and county governments merge together to form one government. Sometimes it's a good idea, sometimes it's a bad idea.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:43 PM

20,127 posts, read 16,176,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPetty View Post
Will it would all depend. When a consolidated city-county forms, voters in other municipalities in the county can decide do have their municipality of residence intact but they will still join the city-county. In the case of Louisville, voters in all the other municipalities in Jefferson County were allowed to keep their cities but they were to join the Metro as well. But at the same time, the satellite cities weren't cut a fair deal about it. This cronie Jerry Abramson decided to raise taxes astronomically for all the citizens of Louisville Metro. And that's one of the reasons why I thought it was a bad idea. Now when Lexington consolidated with Fayette County back in the 70s, the city of Lexington incorporated all of Fayette County with no other incorporated city in the county. I do not know if Fayette County had any other incorporated city prior to the consolidation. I'd have to dig up a map of the old City of Lexington from the 60s or early 70s. Indianapolis and Nashville followed the same concept, when they consolidate with their respective counties they allowed other incorporated cities to remain intact. As in the case of Indianapolis, there are four incorporated cities that are in Marion County but not in the Indianapolis city limits, which are Beech Grove, Speedway, Southport, and Lawrence. Now to give you a blanket explaination when a consolidated city-county forms, the city and county governments merge together to form one government. Sometimes it's a good idea, sometimes it's a bad idea.
Athens
Clays Ferry
Colby (straddled Fayette and Clark County)
Bracktown (where my granddaddy was born)
Leestown/Leesway
South Elkhorn
Todds Station

Those I remember, but I think there was another or two.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:51 AM

236 posts, read 319,578 times
Quote:
What you are saying is that people should not have the freedom to choose where they want to live and when. Is that correct?
Not at all! I'm saying everyone in the region should be paying in the same to a single, regonal tax system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area