Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 62,914 times

Advertisements

Get ready!

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ky/8255035002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 01:21 PM

17,339 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Is having a different brand grocery store opening up really a big deal? How many does one really need? I do realize that some people have a difficult time without a Costco or Trader Joe's near them, but I don't get it. That's just me though. I must be the rare type that doesn't get excited about these things but maybe it's because I came from a place that had everything within driving distance. With so much variety offered, I always shopped at my local supermarket anyway.

Old 09-11-2021, 10:39 AM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times
Publix is based here in Florida so the mention about the cult following is very true. The cult following is weird though because most people are not from Florida originally. So they never had dealings with Publix until moving to the state. So the cult crap is ridiculous down here. Its as if Publix was gods gift to Mankind. Publix never operated outside Florida until recent years. There all the way up to Virginia now. Though I'm not one of those in love with the store. Publix controls the grocery industry in Florida. Where I live as far as big Grocery Store's its Publix or its Walmart. The Winn Dixie location closed. Albertson's, Kash & Karry, Piggly Wiggly are all gone, it is one Publix after the other. Some of us only have 2 other options which as far as I'm concerned are not actual big major grocery stores. Sav A Lot and Aldi.

Publix does have clean stores and has a fairly good selection I will give them that. What is wrong is the outrageous cost of their products. Your grocery bill will give you pause for concern with them. Don't let the BOGO free people tell you how great the store is. One has to be buying the get one free product to enjoy that benefit. It's certainly not on all items, and if the product doesn't interest you then what good is BOGO.

When I moved to Florida in recent years I was concerned, that such a populated state was dominated by one major grocer. I felt Politics must play into it at least in Florida, because other states with Publix have multiple chain grocers. They have multiple Kroger stores or something else should Publix decide to open in their location. Not here at least in many areas of Florida. The lack of competition obviously is the reason for the high grocery prices here year after year.

So I hope if Publix is entering Kentucy. I hope your state will never become dominated by one grocer, and therefore the benefit of competition is not there. I never realized how important competition in the grocery industry is until I lived in Florida. Since Publix has been expanding in other southern states. My guess is they are trying to do the same thing they did in Florida. Completely control the grocery industry in any state they move into.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:05 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,097,050 times
I have never even been to a Publix.
(When I was growing up though everyone went to Krogers or Winn Dixie or A & P.)

Now We have a lot of strong competition and contenders in the grocery store arena here in Kentucky. Krogers, Walmart, Meijers, Sams Club, Trader Joe, Whole Foods, Costco, Aldi,
Save-a-Lot, Fresh Market, Good Food Co-ops, European Gourmet, Wilson's, The Farmers Market,Parisa International Super Market, Sagar's Indian Market, the list goes on and on.
(And that is in Lexington, my guess is that Louisville probably has even more)

I do not see any one Grocer totally dominating the Market...at least not in the cities.
We will have to see how Publix does later on...it will have some stiff competition.

Old 09-11-2021, 06:51 PM

20,125 posts, read 16,147,530 times
My brother that lives in Florida loves Publix. I’ve been to one when visiting him, I honestly don’t get the over the top love fest for it. Now, when we get a Wegman’s I’ll start getting excited. By far my very favorite grocery store - other than Cincinnati’s Jungle Jim’s, which is in its own special category. As far as what we have now have in L’ville, I like Meijer’s best.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:30 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Publix is a very mediocre grocery store chain from the Southeast, Wegman's is MUCH MUCH better in every way possible, Kentucky should be trying to lure them instead.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:35 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewsonic1 View Post
Dear God.....
They are a very high rated place to work, Wegman's, facts:

https://rbj.net/2020/02/18/wegmans-i...st-once-again/

"Wegmans was ranked #1 on @Great Place to Work Fortune Best Workplaces in Retail™ 2020 list, an achievement based on what our employees said about their trust and consistently great workplace experiences. Wegmans was ranked #4 according to 2020 Best Workplaces in New York! ** Wegmans ranked #7 in 2019 and #5 in 2018."

Old 09-13-2021, 10:26 AM

17,339 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Kentucky must be doing something right. I moved here from the West Coast to a town with a pop of under 9000. The Kroger here is far cleaner and superior than anything I had back there. It's at least twice as big with a huge selection of food from meats, fish, deli, fruits and vegetables and fresh baked goods than what I was used to.
I don't especially enjoy shopping but I can't help but slowly walk up and down the isles in amazement at the variety of brands offered here, many that I've never seen before, and how well maintained the store is. I'll also add the same holds true for the WalMart in town. If another grocery store chain moves into town, sure, I'll give it a try just out of curiosity but I can't see how it can improve on what's already here.

Last edited by marino760; 09-13-2021 at 10:41 AM..

Old 09-13-2021, 10:45 AM

118 posts, read 95,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Publix is based here in Florida so the mention about the cult following is very true. The cult following is weird though because most people are not from Florida originally. So they never had dealings with Publix until moving to the state. So the cult crap is ridiculous down here. Its as if Publix was gods gift to Mankind. Publix never operated outside Florida until recent years. There all the way up to Virginia now. Though I'm not one of those in love with the store. Publix controls the grocery industry in Florida. Where I live as far as big Grocery Store's its Publix or its Walmart. The Winn Dixie location closed. Albertson's, Kash & Karry, Piggly Wiggly are all gone, it is one Publix after the other. Some of us only have 2 other options which as far as I'm concerned are not actual big major grocery stores. Sav A Lot and Aldi.

Publix does have clean stores and has a fairly good selection I will give them that. What is wrong is the outrageous cost of their products. Your grocery bill will give you pause for concern with them. Don't let the BOGO free people tell you how great the store is. One has to be buying the get one free product to enjoy that benefit. It's certainly not on all items, and if the product doesn't interest you then what good is BOGO.

When I moved to Florida in recent years I was concerned, that such a populated state was dominated by one major grocer. I felt Politics must play into it at least in Florida, because other states with Publix have multiple chain grocers. They have multiple Kroger stores or something else should Publix decide to open in their location. Not here at least in many areas of Florida. The lack of competition obviously is the reason for the high grocery prices here year after year.

So I hope if Publix is entering Kentucy. I hope your state will never become dominated by one grocer, and therefore the benefit of competition is not there. I never realized how important competition in the grocery industry is until I lived in Florida. Since Publix has been expanding in other southern states. My guess is they are trying to do the same thing they did in Florida. Completely control the grocery industry in any state they move into.
BS

I'm a native Publix has LOYAL shoppers and they aren't some kind of "cult" ! whattheHELL is that about/

Publix Supermarkets has a loyal shopping constituency because of outstanding CUSTOMER SERVICE. It does not try to attract a totally price sensitive customer - never has.

It's selection, combined with a unmitigated desire and goal to provide unmatched service and quality products.

They have garnered support because of its philosophy and its people through training and community service to their local communities.

Of course Publix Supermarkets dominates in Florida, it's a LOCAL Lakeland, Florida based company. It's not an AlDi which is a foreign discounter, not a supermarket. Publix Supermarkets drives competitors crazy now, in places like SC, GA (Atlanta), Birmingham, Nashville, NC and soon many others like KY.
They don't fear competition, they welcome it. Let them step in the "arena". Competition is good for everybody.

Old 09-14-2021, 06:19 AM

342 posts, read 319,131 times
I've been in Publix when I was on vacation in Florida, but never knew it was supposed to be special. I shoulda paid more attention, dangnabit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area