Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 08:05 PM

12 posts, read 31,901 times

Advertisements

Thank you! That's good to know because he is now registered to attend Oldham County High in August! We've been here a couple of weeks now and everyone seems so friendly. So far, it has been a good experience.
Congratulations on your daughter and her achievements! I know you are proud of her and for her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 12:52 PM

6 posts, read 36,630 times
Default Moved last year to OC, and feel we made the right decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan117 View Post
Hello,
My husband is being transferred to Louisville after Christmas. We're a Christian, conservative family with one school-aged child. We drove around Louisville a few weeks ago and have decided that Oldham County will probably be the best place for us. I am a teacher and my contract doesn't end until the summer, so my husband will be moving up before we do. My son will be entering high school next year and I want to make sure that I choose the area best for him. My concern is that he will be misjudged because we are from Mississippi and there are many false negative stereotypical images of Mississippians all across this country. There are actually only a few areas of MS that fit the stereotype and they pull the average way down for the rest of us. My older two children scored very well on standardized national tests, such as ACT, PSAT, and SAT. Both were National Merit Finalists and Merit Award winners and always scored in the 99th percentile on a national basis. Our high school is a blue ribbon school, and with only 120 graduating seniors, six had a score greater than 30 on the ACT last year. That being said, I really hope to find a school where he won't be ostracized and it won't be assumed that he is behind or a low achiever because we're from MS. Of the three Oldham county schools, which one would be most likely to allow him to be involved in activities, take advanced classes, accept him in social groups, and have a majority of Christian students and teachers?
I recommend that you let your children visit the schools and give input. We did and it really helped ease their fear of moving. We moved to Oldham County last summer from Ga. and decided on the North Oldham school district. Last year, one child attended North Oldham HS and the other North Oldham MS. We are very pleased with our district choice as well as the class offerings and available sports / activities for them to participate in. For example, our oldest child will be taking AP calculus and AP Chemistry as a junior and is currently on two sports teams.

We have found that a large portion of people at North are from areas outside of Ky and have moved here with jobs. All are choosing the area based on the school system and quality of life here. We love our subdivision (Hillcrest) which probably has well over 200 kids of various ages. As far as comments about the area being snobbish, that is absolutely not true. I am one of the most down to earth people you will ever meet and have found others in the area to be the same. We are mostly well educated hard working people that want the very best education for our kids possible.

Hope your move goes well and you make the best choice possible for you and your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area