Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:57 AM

12 posts, read 29,619 times

Advertisements

So it has been some time now since we've last heard about that grand spectacular skyscraper known as Museum Plaza. I was looking forward to it being built and completed by 2011. Did they scrap the construction, because there is still an empty lot down off of Main Street where it is suppose to be built. I'm guessing they didn't have the funding for it and then when the economy plummeted they couldn't afford it anymore. Hopefully they change their minds, Louisville needs a more vibrant look for downtown!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 09:12 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
I think the funding and enthusiasm done run out.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:16 AM

797 posts, read 2,338,691 times
Did anyone else think the design would not compliment the Louisville skyline very well?

Old 02-03-2010, 09:51 AM

666 posts, read 2,537,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
Did anyone else think the design would not compliment the Louisville skyline very well?
I thought the design was ok. It looked out of place in the renderings of the skyline, but I think in a few years (or when the economy picks up), there will be more skyscrapers to fill it in and it won't look so out of place. That is if it ever gets built.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:27 AM

I hope it gets built, people will view Louisville in a whole new way!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:21 PM

just watched Whas11 tonight and they said that it will get built. They stopped construction because they got complaints from surrounding neighbors about vibrations (Get Over it!) and because the economy plummented causing fees to skyrocket. They said construction will continue this year and should be done in 30 months so mid to end of 2012. So glad they are continuing the project, not only will it be the tallest building in Louisville but also the tallest in KY. This skyscraper will make Louisville a first class city!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:21 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
To be honest, i don't think Louisville NEEDS the Museum Plaza. They should build the thing if they are partly finished but personally I think Louisville's skyline is fine as the way it is.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:55 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
The vibrations complaint came over 1 year ago. If they still can't 'fix' that problem then the reality is that it was just an excuse - kind of like the Centre Pointe developers in Lex saying construction stopped because an anonymous German donor died suddenly before signing them into the will - LOL!!.

The reality is there was never a need for a large skyscraper in Louisville when most existing skycrapers have large vacancy rates.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:36 AM

209 posts, read 739,317 times
MP, if built -and the news piece on it gives me a leetle more optimism - will be so diversified that it won't be a typical 'skyscraper': luxury condos, office space, a a large contemporary art museum, a part of UofL Arts department, artist digs, a hotel, and retail.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:16 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,454,392 times
Quote:
The reality is there was never a need for a large skyscraper in Louisville when most existing skycrapers have large vacancy rates.
Downtown office vacancys are at 12% and class A vacancies are at 5%.

Quote:
They stopped construction because they got complaints from surrounding neighbors about vibrations
The issue is more signifigant than it sounds since the excavation vibrations were causing structural damage or threatening to, to neighboring buildings. This is going to affect their excavation and foundation construction costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area