Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2013, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 9,490 times

Advertisements

Because of a job opportunity, my family is looking to relocate to either Levelland or Snyder, TX. Can anyone provide me insight to either of the towns? I'm particularly interested in the school systems, any crime/drug issues, the city's healthcare system, and what it's actually like to live there. I have researched a great deal of online data and statistics, but would like opinions from actual people Of course, any other helpful input is welcome. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 10:48 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
About all I can tell you about Snyder is that my father-in-law was once a policeman at Snyder (WWII era). I used to drive through the town about twice a year on U.S. 84 but haven't been there in over a year. Due to the oil boom, I think Snyder is growing along with everything down that way. I think I also saw someone on C-D say there is now a Walmart at Synder. Knowing how small the town was, and how slowly things normally grow out here, that indicates more than an average growth rate to me.

Levelland is in Hockley County which has had oil production for many years. I tend to believe that is why the County tends to have lower property taxes than most of the surrounding South Plains counties. I even looked at buying a rural home near Anton a few years ago simply because of the lower taxes. Levelland also is home to South Plains College which used to offer one of the nation's only degree programs in country music (an interest of mine). I don't know if that is still the case any more but if you are college age, or have children, a college may be of interest to you. That's about all I know about Levelland except that it is much larger than Snyder. I have never lived in either town.

Regarding crime, I can't help at all but as to healthcare, some of the best healthcare in Texas is at Lubbock. Snyder is about 88 miles from Lubbock while Levelland is only 31 miles. I'm almost sure that Levelland has a hospital but I'll let someone more familiar with the town address that.

If I have only confused you, I apologize. However, if you are new to Texas, I'll say welcome to Texas or if if you are new to the South Plains, I'll say welcome to it.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:45 PM

437 posts, read 924,601 times
I have lived in Snyder and have a lot of family still in the area and also have spent some time in Levelland and have friends there, so I feel like I can answer some of your questions-
Snyder is growing very quickly (due to the oil boom) and housing prices are skyrocketing. Snyder has had a WalMart for about 30 years. However, they are building a SuperCenter there now. Levelland is the better choice in my opinion, primarily due to its location near Lubbock. Healthcare is horiffic in Snyder and most people drive the hour and a half to Lubbock or Abilene from there anyway to see a doctor. Crime and drugs there have really been on the rise lately (a lot of that goes hand in hand with a booming oilfield, unfortunately.) Also, you will drive over an hour from Snyder to get to an airport, as Midland, Abilene, San Angelo and Lubbock are all approximately 100 miles away.
Levelland, at this point, is practically a suburb of Lubbock. You'll be much closer to activities, healthcare, shopping etc. Also, it has more going for it than just oil, so the economy will be more stable in the future. Snyder's economy relies so heavily on oil, that the boom/bust cycle is inevitable. Trust me, I've lived there through both

Old 05-29-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2005 View Post
Snyder has had a WalMart for about 30 years.
Wow! Now I didn't know that. Thanks for the piece of info.

I guess I should stop and shop sometime at Snyder instead of just driving through.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Wow! Now I didn't know that. Thanks for the piece of info.

I guess I should stop and shop sometime at Snyder instead of just driving through.

Ha! I actually remember the day the Snyder WalMart opened. There were more people there for the Grand Opening than for the County Fair!

Old 05-29-2013, 02:48 PM

Hey RR, I don't know if you're interested but I just uploaded a pic to the Lubbock Photo thread of my FIL as a Snyder policeman late 1940s. I would have been about ten years old so it was before my time.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:51 PM

[quote=High_Plains_Retired;29782072]Hey RR, I don't know if you're interested but I just uploaded a pic to the Lubbock Photo thread of my FIL as a Snyder policeman late 1940s. I would have been about ten years old so it was before my time.[/quote

Pretty neat! My grandfather was a firefighter there during the same time period.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:51 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
Id rather live in Snyder.Ive been to Levelland and I was not impressed.The main reason is the milder winters in Snyder.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 9,490 times
Thanks for the replies! We decided on Snyder. I preferred the proximity to Lubbock that Levelland had, but Snyder was an overall better opportunity for our family. My husband is a physician, and as I'm not sure of past problems Snyder has had, I know that the hospital in
Snyder has made a huge commitment to the community in
renovating the facilities and recruiting physicians and other staff. We have been here three weeks and so far so good! I'm impressed with the schools and what you can't get in the town you can get in an hours drive to Lubbock. I do a lot of online shopping too. Thanks again for your insight.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:44 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
Anytime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock