Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 03:15 PM

927 posts, read 1,390,478 times

Advertisements

BS

The feed lot is on the very SE side of town, (industrial area) right next to Hwy 84 which does smell awful, but you didn't smell it all the way through town. Very rarely can you smell the feedlot from anywhere in town unless you are driving right by it.

BS? I was right smack in the center of town outside a restaurant and I know what I smelled. Regardless of where the stupid feedlot is located.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 03:19 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
That happens several days out of the year. The feedlot east of town causes that. The worst thing about the area imo.
Can't they just relocate the lot to Post?? Or maybe Abernathy?

Old 05-07-2008, 03:37 PM

63 posts, read 284,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
BS

The feed lot is on the very SE side of town, (industrial area) right next to Hwy 84 which does smell awful, but you didn't smell it all the way through town. Very rarely can you smell the feedlot from anywhere in town unless you are driving right by it.

BS? I was right smack in the center of town outside a restaurant and I know what I smelled. Regardless of where the stupid feedlot is located.
Well, I can't discount your sense of smell. On rare occasions when the wind blows just right, you can smell the feed lot in town. But, to say the entire city smells like crap is painting with a really big brush.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingHome2TX View Post
My own opinion of Lubbock is that it is a nice little city, just plagued by the fact that it is located in the middle of a bunch of nothing. The wind blows and you get dirty/dusty.

I still think of it as a city stuck in the dead center of a bunch of cotton fields with no geographical diversity to it other than horizon as far as one can see in any direction. While this does help with our economy, I can not personally deal with the scenery.

If I were to educate myself further than my current status, I would probably apply at Tech as a student based on several various factors, so I do rate their school system highly. My problem just boils back to the fact of location. I can not personally see myself living in the area long enough to earn an education at her schools.

Having said that, I would still rather live in Lubbock than anywhere outside of the borders of Texas. So don't hold my own personal preference for rolling hills, mesquite and live oak trees against me for hating Lubbock altogether, because I can still think of many worse places to live.
I'm sorry for your situation if I've read you correctly. But let's look at the bright side: You still live in Texas. Besides, Lubbock's location, believe it or not, is an advantage, not an albatross. I'm a visionary and a dreamer. It's just too bad I'm not a developer right now, because Lubbock is the first place I'd go. I envision Lubbock as a larger area with new ideas and fresh emotion. Yes, I know..... there are folks who will think I'm absolutely crazy, but the place has potential. You can make a nowhere into a somewhere. Dust notwithstanding, there's still 300 days of sunshine every year. This city is in my top five if I should leave the D/FW area one day for different pastures. Having visited Lubbock on a scant few occasions, I'm telling you, it has something. No, it's not perfect; no city is. The city needs a zoo. It needs landscaping. Downtown needs something (actually, several somethings). I don't think about what others have said about its citizens because I've never had any problems. I believe it can be much more than it is right now, but you've got more to appreciate than you think. And, you know, Lubbock is not such a bad place.

You should be proud to be Texan!

Old 05-08-2008, 11:42 AM

2,327 posts, read 3,935,664 times
Here are a few construction projects going up around town:
On the rise: Lubbock's commercial sector is on a tear | BUSINESS EDITOR

Old 05-08-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Here are a few construction projects going up around town:
On the rise: Lubbock's commercial sector is on a tear | BUSINESS EDITOR
Good article, shoe. That 15-story hotel will rival the NTS Tower for the city's tallest structure. The Lubbock Business Park is rising up fast.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:24 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Default Lubbock in my front windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Plains View Post
I would like to hear everyone's opinions and questions about Lubbock, even if you have never been there. I think this would help alieviate many of the misperceptions and bad rap Lubbock has been getting lately. All comments will be apperciated greatly!
First I should say that my opinion of Lubbock is based on having lived there in the 1980s. I plan to retire in the Lubbock area as early as this year. Other towns in Texas where I have lived include Houston and Lufkin as well as numerous other smaller Texas eastern, southeastern and western towns. I've also lived and worked in Washington D.C., New Orleans, and in Albuquerque. As well, I have worked in South America and in north Africa.

I'll not insult Lubbock by trying to compare it with the moldly dishrag smells of Houston and New Orleans, which I can only describe as 'matching armpits". D.C. is simply D.C. which, except for its great Federal libraries and museums, lacks any definable character unless you are a lawyer, a politician or a lobbiest. Albuquerque was once a great city in years past but is now being overun by retiring carpetbaggers with more money than brains.

But back to the subject of Lubbock. At the moment I guess what I like best about this dusty west Texas cotonpatch town, at least according to some in this thread, is that the jerks are driving on through and the good people are staying.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:11 PM

Default Looking Back In The Mirror

Now let's remember this also, folks. If you listened carefully to the song that Mac Davis wrote and recorded many years ago, entitled "Texas In My Rear View Mirror", he sings the first few verses about leaving Lubbock, but the last verse was about coming back. You see, leaving the area was not what his subject at hand thought it was, so he changed his mind, and he decided this was where he wanted and needed to be after all. And then you remember these last words in the song, the words that tell us he wants to be buried in Lubbock, Texas....in his jeans.

Words to remember.....

Old 05-09-2008, 03:38 PM

189 posts, read 628,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
But back to the subject of Lubbock. At the moment I guess what I like best about this dusty west Texas cotonpatch town, at least according to some in this thread, is that the jerks are driving on through and the good people are staying.
Well said, High Plains! I don't see what the fuss is about Lubbock being a conservative town. (as other posts have said) Is that such a bad thing? Having your kids grow up in a town like that?
And as far as scenery goes... you can travel if you want lots of trees. OR plant them and have your own beautiful garden like my parents did and still do have. Their yard looks like a yard you would find in San Antonio (only without fire ant mounds). They have nice big oak trees, golf-like green grass, lots of flowers, etc. You can have a yard like that, but you have to water it..... unlike the more humid places in TX. Just get a sprinkler system and then you are set. There really are some beautiful neighborhoods in Lubbock.
Now... if you want a great lake to go boating in... you may have a problem there. Yes, there's Buffalo Lake and a lake in Ransom Canyon.... but not a big public lake. (There's a fee to enter Buffalo Lake.)
Lubbock has a nice airport, public parks with great playgrounds, Texas Tech, musicals and concerts, etc. The climate there is wonderful! The dust storms do happen, but VERY rarely. It can get windy, but you get used to it. I lived there for 17 yrs and loved Lubbock.
People who have never lived in Lubbock have no idea what a great town it is. They don't have much to compare with if it's just looks. You have to get to know the town to appreciate it. Scenery isn't everything. As the saying goes.... you can't judge a book by it's cover. I didn't think much of Lubbock at first. We had to move there when I was a kid (due to a job transfer)... but after a few years... I grew to love and appreciate Lubbock for what it is.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:44 PM

189 posts, read 628,858 times
By-the-way.... the feedlot smell happens MAYBE 2-4 times a year. It is never a problem unless the wind switches and blows in from the NE. Then you get the smell, otherwise... it's pleasant. Like I said in my previous post... passerbyers can have a very shallow opinion of Lubbock without really knowing how great of a town it truely is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock