Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2010, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,885 times

Advertisements

Hi I have reviewed alot of the post's regarding Lubbock and I find myself having more and more mixed feelings. My husband was born in Lubbock and really has a love for it that I can not begin to explain. He did not live there long until he was about 4 and then for 5 months a couple of years ago. We live in NJ with our young child and we are now at a point where we are looking to live on our own. Unfortunatly NJ is very very expensive. My husband has a grandious idea that we could make it in Lubbock. I have a wonderful job here has a receptionist making very good money but not enough to support us here. We are both in school as we are pretty young. We are in school to be a Elementary school teacher and my husband a Funeral director. My questions are how hard is it to come by jobs, ones that pay well with benefits? Are there a lot of opportunities or is it not worth the trouble? How good is the education for young children including preschool? Are there alot of community events and activites that would make it easier for us to feel apart of the new community? How nice are the parks? What types of bugs are problematic (I dont like bugs but who does)? Would it be a good place to start or would we struggle and is it easy to relocate once we felt we would be able too? We have all our family up here and I am trying to research the best I can to help us way our options. Also I was looking at Lubbock Square apartments if anyone has information on them or the area surronding it, Its located on 50th street which looks to be a main stretch and Utica, around the Dupree park area. I appreciate all the help and sorry for the very wordy post! Thank you again in advance for all the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 08:50 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,673 times
I can't think of a better place for a young couple to go to school and raise a family. There are lots of young people there, quite a few inexpensive activities provided by the university. Football is important to a lot of people there (this is Texas, after all), but there are plays and concerts also. There are small parks scattered through town. People take a lot of pride in their yards so, even though there is not much vegetation outside of town, the yards and trees in town are nice and well-kept. There is not much to do for outdoor activities outside of the city, though....it's all farm land. But it's not far to drive to the mountains in New Mexico and Colorado. The cost of living is moderate, the town is growing, unemployment rate is low although salaries are not as high as they are in some areas. There is a good medical community (lots of job associated with that). The winters are pretty cold but nothing like you're used to, I'm sure....usually a snow or two every winter....but even when it's cold the sun shines a lot. The summers are hot, but the climate is dry and there is usually wind so it's not unbearable. The bugs are not nearly as common as they are in humid climates. Crime is pretty much isolated in one section of town (mostly the far East side). We lived in Lubbock several years, have visited there frequently over the years and have friends who live there.....so these are just random thoughts and my opinions on some of the points you mentioned. It's a very friendly, welcoming place -

Old 01-16-2010, 12:08 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
I agree with Gayle in that Lubbock is a great place to raise a family. It has a stable economy; it has held out against the recession better than most of the nation, so jobs are available, though it's tight here like everywhere else. I don't think you should have too much trouble finding an elementary teaching position. There has been a new elementary built every year or so lately. I had a few relatives move here recently, and one had middle school teaching interviews lined up within a few visits. Another is interviewing for managerial positions at various companies.
As a whole, the schools are excellent, especially the magnet schools. Like everywhere, there are some schools to avoid, which are mainly on the east side of town. Even then, many of the elementaries in lower-income areas have great after-school or bilingual programs.
There is no shortage of family activities in Lubbock. I listed some in another thread like the many athletic and cultural events put on by college students, the Science Spectrum, the First Friday Art Trail, and going to Caprock Canyon or Palo Duro Canyon. There are quite a few parks in Lubbock, and they tend to be centered around a playa lake. They are well-kept and green, all of them having playgrounds and many having a jogging track.
Lubbock has a drier climate, so bugs aren't as prevalent as they are in many parts of the country. Mosquitos are the biggest problem, especially in the summer after a rain.
If I'm thinking of the right place, those apartments are okay. The neighborhood is middle class/lower middle class and is in the Nat Williams Elementary zone. I've heard it's a decent school, and I believe it has a kids broadcasting program.
Now that I have gushed enough, I think it's only fair to share the downsides to Lubbock. If you look at a map (which I'm sure you have ), you can tell it is isolated. The closest city larger than Lubbock is Fort Worth, which is 5 to 6 hours away. San Antonio and Austin are 6 to 7 hours away. The surrounding scenery isn't very attractive either. It's just flat farmland. The city itself is nice though. Thirty minutes to the east, the landscape drops off into more rolling hills, mesas, and canyons. The mountains of New Mexico are 4 hours to the west.
I think it's a great place to live, but I would definately make a visit before you make a decision though. Good luck with your decision and I hope this helps.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:24 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
I just got laid off from my very high paying job and am heading back to Lubbock to stay with friends and family while I start my life over, and yes, look for work. Lubbock or bust.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:35 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I just got laid off from my very high paying job and am heading back to Lubbock to stay with friends and family while I start my life over, and yes, look for work. Lubbock or bust.
I'm so sorry! At least now you have a chance to move here like you've been wanting though. Hopefully you can find a good job.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:37 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
I'm sorry to hear that, too, Cobolt. Been there, done that, and SO NOT fun.

I hope you return to Lubbock (or wherever you really want to be) and have a better future there!

Old 01-16-2010, 05:02 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post

Oh that bites! At least you have family and friends though.

What's your specialty?

Old 01-16-2010, 10:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,885 times
Sorry to hear that it's not fun to be unsure of life and that's pretty much where we are and we are just hoping that the cost of living and new opportunities for jobs (jobs in places we haven't been no bias from the past, we are in a small town) hopefully we will be able to make the most of it. I wish you all the best and thank you to Western and Gayle for your answers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock