Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 10:18 AM

178 posts, read 499,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I have a history of bad mouthing Macon. Simply because, IN MY OPINION, the place friggin sux. Plain and simple. I travel for work throughout the southeast and I see Macon as more run down, more stagnant and less desirable then any of the other second tier cities in Georgia. I do not care if you agree. I have formed my opinions based on my experiences, my own eyes. My opinions are not set in stone, but I never saw the revitalization the defenders saw.
In regards to comparing Her to other cities, I have found that most of Her defenders use addition by subtraction to boost Macon's status. The member King_9.5 was always guilty of this, comparing Her to the very worst out there. Better than Camden, N.J. is not saying much.

I wish Her well, I really do. But my views are not wrong ... they are just not yours. Too much barb wire, too many empty store fronts, too many prominent corners with abandoned buildings. To me, the core is rotting. They cannot seem to move far enough from downtown to build the new box stores. Macon is not far below the other second tiers in my book, but below nonetheless. After half a dozen years in the area I was glad to put her further away.
No offense, just my opinion.

bulldawgfan, the unofficial president of the Macon haters club

Liking or not liking Macon is an opinion that any one is free to have but saying things like "I never saw the revitalization" and "They cannot seem to move far enough from downtown to build the new box stores" simply arent true and eliminates you from being taken seriously. Whether you like Macon or not, several lofts, bars, and restaurants are opening downtown. Downtown certainly is on the upswing. If you're going to bash Macon, at least bring up something factual like the bad public school system. You're bringing up old talking points which arent even currently valid anymore

Last edited by brentyoung12; 03-29-2017 at 10:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 10:46 AM

178 posts, read 499,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
If the floor is all mine, bud, I will take it. For the last 8 years or so I have heard how great Macon is doing in turning the corner. How consolidation was the answer. How the crime stats are all wrong in Macon but not wrong in other like cities. How my opinion of Macon was wrong, that I only saw Her from the bad corners.
In that time I witnessed the area around Redstone develop (Madison, I think the town is called). I watched Columbus and Charleston continue the very visible urban renewal projects. Athens, Augusta and Savannah have a vibrancy, an air of motion, a pace I never saw in Macon. Still don't. My opinion.
I have heard how Bass Pro was gonna be the deal breaker. How the new mall was gonna be the catalyst. How a new distribution warehouse out by the Interstate was all the proof I needed.

And you know what? I still feel like some of the answers to relocation questions are completely misleading. Downright false at times. How hope and bias magically make rose colored glasses appear. Especially in a few select regular members. If there is an agenda, to me it clearly exists with them. I gain nothing by stating my opinion. I am not so sure that is the case with some. Misleading people looking for relocation advise is anything but funny in my book. An overly optimistic view is welcomed, but anything less than that exists only with an agenda. Do you even read what you write?
Certainly I smh, but lol is a long ways away ....
This guy is pure comedic gold. Before you come in to discuss old talking points, could you please look up more recent information?

Columbus has a higher crime rate than Macon now. They had 2-3 shootings at Peachtree Mall within a short time at one point and a few instances with gunman being near CSU and a pizza man was robbed.

I dont know about their overall crime rate, but Savannah-Chatham had over 50 murders in 2016.

What point exactly are you making by bringing up Macon's "rotting core" when Downtown currently is as active as it's been in decades and bringing up crime when none of the other 2nd Tier cities are anything to write home about.

And you claim to have unbiased honest opinions. How about an INFORMED opinion at least.

Seriously, who are you to accuse others of having an agenda to mislead others when you've said completely false things about downtown Macon. Give it a rest, geez. The hypocrisy...

Last edited by brentyoung12; 03-29-2017 at 11:00 AM..

Old 03-29-2017, 10:56 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,480,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentyoung12 View Post
Liking or not liking Macon is an opinion that any one is free to have but saying things like "I never saw the revitalization" and "They cannot seem to move far enough from downtown to build the new box stores" simply arent true and eliminates you from being taken seriously. Whether you like Macon or not, several lofts, bars, and restaurants are opening downtown. Downtown certainly is on the upswing. If you're going to bash Macon, at least bring up something factual like the bad public school system. You're bringing up old talking points which arent even currently valid anymore
So True... Like Public Transit as well. I have always said Macon's Transit System sucks and needs to be improved for a City it's size. They honestly need to kick the Director, director's of MTA out and start over fair and square but for some reason City Hall keeps letting them run Trashy service. Those people in the Transit Division in Macon kinda remind me of the Clayton County Commissioners and that speaks Volumes.. Also like you said, the Public School System, that's the biggest problem Macon and I kind of get the Feeling most of the other 2nd Tiers are having. Those are true talking points and issues if you so choose to bash but I choose to look at it as areas that need to be improved in the City, not as a bashing tool.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:07 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,480,629 times
Quote:
This guy is pure comedic gold. Before you come in to discuss old talking points, could you please look up more recent information?

Columbus has a higher crime rate than Macon now. They had 2-3 shootings at Peachtree Mall within a short time at one point and a few instances with gunman being near CSU and a pizza man was robbed.

I dont know about their overall crime rate, but Savannah-Chatham had over 50 murders in 2016.

What point exactly are you making by bringing up Macon's "rotting core" when Downtown currently is as active as it's been in decades and bringing up crime when none of the other 2nd Tier cities are anything to write home about.

And you claim to have unbiased honest opinions. How about an INFORMED opinion at least.

Seriously, who are you to accuse others of having an agenda to mislead others when you've said completely false things about downtown Macon. Give it a rest, geez. The hypocrisy...

Hello Brentyoung12, Please don't waist your Key Strokes on This Guy... SMH.. Let him Continue, People are pretty Smart.. Like I tell anyone, Research, Visit and see for your self to make Judgements, Your cup of Tea might not be mine. That's the Beauty of Traveling and Discovering new People, Places and Things!!!

Old 03-29-2017, 05:47 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,113,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afk05 View Post
A lot of other smaller southern cities like Charleston (where I have lived for several years, so I can attest to) and Savannah first started to turn their cities around with tourism. Once tourism brought in the money, then they began to attract businesses to the area, which is the true catalyst for turning around a blighted city. access to a major city of Atlanta and an international airport, and a better quality of life?
Both metro Charleston and metro Savannah are larger than Macon. Charleston: 750,000, Savannah: 380,000, Macon: 229,000. They feel bigger, too. (You go by the metro population, not by artificial city boundaries inflated by consolidation. Mt. Pleasant is still Charleston, Georgetown is still Savannah.) CHAS and SAV are major seaports, manufacturing cities, and medical centers. Tourism is just one part of their economies, though it is important. Macon is smaller, more provincial, more conservative. CHAS and SAV are really on different cultural and socioeconomic levels than Macon. They are also pretty famous. Apples versus oranges -- you can't compare them at all. As for Greenville, that's also a bad comparison. G'ville has been a little southern powerhouse for decades -- long before its riverfront restaurants and cafés.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:49 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,040,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afk05 View Post
As a random person new to these boards, I will say there is some accuracy here in all the responses. I have a friend that lives in Macon and has been there for more than 10 years, and was very honest about Macon's problems. The quote was "there is a lot of crime and a lot of problems in Macon, but there are so many people here who really want this city to thrive, to turn things around. People who live here are passionate about Macon."

In my few trips there, I will say this seems accurate. A lot of other smaller southern cities like Charleston (where I have lived for several years, so I can attest to) and Savannah first started to turn their cities around with tourism. Once tourism brought in the money, then they began to attract businesses to the area, which is the true catalyst for turning around a blighted city. I think that Macon has potential to do the same, but potential is just that unless capitalized upon. If they continue to invest in downtown, gentrify the area and bring in tourism, people and industry will follow. A good example of this is Greenville SC. Thirty years ago Greenville was not a city with a good reputation or that people chose to visit. The work that mayors Max Heller and Knox White did to revitalize downtown and turn Greenville into one of the top 10 growing cities is honestly inspiring and should absolutely be replicated in Macon. I can't tell you how many people I have spoken to in Charleston that would like to relocate to Greenville. That really says something. They have so much to offer, and their downtown is wonderful and pedestrian friendly.

If people are serious about turning Macon around, which I believe they are, they need to follow in Greenville's footsteps (and Charleston, Savannah, etc). Capitalize on the historical attractions, musical attractions and continue to revitalize downtown. Downtown needs to LOOK nice and new, so turning a lot of the old factories and warehouses that are now dilapidated into lofts, stores, restaurants, hotels and more. That work has already begun and is in progress, which is really great. When tourism starts increasing and revitalization efforts grow, then housing needs to follow. Cheap housing doesn't bring people to relocate, and neither does older homes here in the south. New construction is what everyone is looking for, especially coming from the north and northeast, where most housing is old. People see new construction and lower taxes and start moving down in droves. Who wants to pay $500k for a house that is 40 years old and needs work in NY, and where property taxes run $15k per year, when you can move down south and have mild winters, close access to a major city of Atlanta and an international airport, and a better quality of life?

Since Macon is located so centrally to other cities, attracting people from drivable distances to Macon for tourism/weekend trips will be the catalyst. I have only taken two brief trips to Macon, but the times I have been downtown, and reading everything on these boards, it looks like revitalization of downtown is in progress. They need to continue to gentrify those old factories and warehouses that are a complete eyesore. Driving through too many run down parts of a city turns people away. Money follows money. Locals need to continue to spend money downtown, and to share photos online which will attract friends and family from other cities. Seriously, look at this site and check out Greenville, and vote for people who can do the same for Macon.

How Greenville SC Brought Downtown Back
How about this, haters ...
I can find not one point that I do not agree with in this post. Very well written and stated. Absolutely spot on with the Savannah and Charleston conditions and comparisons, in my opinion. And I lived in Greenville for a bit and agree with every single point you made in regards to that all but hidden gem of a city. I will even go as far as to say that, yes, there is movement in Macon. Movement in the right direction. But I have not seen the cascade, the acceleration, that I have witnessed in other like sized cities in the region. Again, I do not care if you agree with me. Macon has lagged behind in growth and development in the 8 or so years I have been hearing just how great She is. The data that I look at shows substantial growth in most mid sized southern cities. Half-backs, lower taxes, warmer weather, southern charm (not very prevalent in this thread, I might add) ... the south is growing without a doubt. Macon's growth, including consolidation, has lagged far behind most others. That data is available to anyone who cares to look, I ain't making this up.

Well stated afk05! A realist. How refreshing! Please do not be so random of a poster on here. This forum thread needs someone like you. Seriously. Reputation points headed your way.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
I don't even know where to begin. Are you arguing what I have seen or are you saying that Zebulon and Bass are not just about as far from downtown as one can get?
Being taken serious by the likes of you is far from a concern of mine. For you there is no hope. You argue simply for the sake of arguing and make no valid points I can recognize.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Both metro Charleston and metro Savannah are larger than Macon. Charleston: 750,000, Savannah: 380,000, Macon: 229,000. They feel bigger, too. (You go by the metro population, not by artificial city boundaries inflated by consolidation. Mt. Pleasant is still Charleston, Georgetown is still Savannah.) CHAS and SAV are major seaports, manufacturing cities, and medical centers. Tourism is just one part of their economies, though it is important. Macon is smaller, more provincial, more conservative. CHAS and SAV are really on different cultural and socioeconomic levels than Macon. They are also pretty famous. Apples versus oranges -- you can't compare them at all. As for Greenville, that's also a bad comparison. G'ville has been a little southern powerhouse for decades -- long before its riverfront restaurants and cafés.
Holy smokes! Yet another post in this thread I totally agree with. And yet another realist. There is hope for this place after all. Unfortunately there is no perfect comparison out there. And, if I write anything, and I mean ANYTHING, it simply comes from hate and needs to be shot down or ignored.
I ain't going anywhere. You can't ride in the back seat if you are the unofficial president of the Macon haters club. Like Bob Uker ... I belong in the front row ....

Old 03-30-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Hello Brentyoung12, Please don't waist your Key Strokes on This Guy... SMH.. Let him Continue, People are pretty Smart.. Like I tell anyone, Research, Visit and see for your self to make Judgements, Your cup of Tea might not be mine. That's the Beauty of Traveling and Discovering new People, Places and Things!!!
Now that is more like it.
And they say ostriches don't actually bury their heads in the sand.
SMH ....

Old 03-30-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:

Could you please point out where I brought up old talking points? You just friggin made that up. I do not remember typing the word crime once. NOT ONCE! I have neither the time not the patience to explain to you the trend that has happened in other cities where the flight from downtown has turned around. How chain stores like, say, CVS, have moved into existing buildings downtown and stopped building boxes in suburbia. Did I say that was not happening in Macon? Nope. And you know it. My claim was that is has not happened in Macon like I have witnessed in other places. A snails pace at best. Please read whatever the heck you think you read again. And stop making crap up, your credibility is on the line, wingnut. But again, for you there is no hope.
And I am called a hater. Talk about comedic gold ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon