Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 06:06 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,822 times

Advertisements

Some one please close this Thread...SMH, this is Ridiculous and Immature!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 09:00 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,037,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Some one please close this Thread...SMH, this is Ridiculous and Immature!
And who are you to make such a request? Some level headed members have recently joined the conversation and I for one appriciate their views. They share your hope but actually are not blinded by the 20 pairs of rose colored glasses you appearantly wear all at once.
Are you not the member who recently said, and I am paraphrasing here, that anyone who does not share your views on Macon must be racist bigots? If not, I apologize (that is as nice as I can be). But someone did. That person should have NO influence on what threads should be locked or not. To be honest, there was a time where that person would have been punished for a TOS violation. This is an awesome site for asking questions, sharing experiences and YES, stating opinions. As hard as this is for someone like you to believe, I have actually recieved private messages, out of the blue, regarding my portrayal of Macon. I know ... hard to believe ... but they visited Macon and said I was more accurate than they had originally thought and hoped. There are real people out there looking for help. And if they can weed through all of my lies to see your absolute truth then let's go ahead and let them. What do you say?

Old 03-30-2017, 02:05 PM

178 posts, read 499,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Could you please point out where I brought up old talking points? You just friggin made that up. I do not remember typing the word crime once. NOT ONCE! I have neither the time not the patience to explain to you the trend that has happened in other cities where the flight from downtown has turned around. How chain stores like, say, CVS, have moved into existing buildings downtown and stopped building boxes in suburbia. Did I say that was not happening in Macon? Nope. And you know it. My claim was that is has not happened in Macon like I have witnessed in other places. A snails pace at best. Please read whatever the heck you think you read again. And stop making crap up, your credibility is on the line, wingnut. But again, for you there is no hope.
And I am called a hater. Talk about comedic gold ....
You're a hater because despite all you said there, I see you just so happen to conveniently leave out all the bars and restaurants that have recently opened in Downtown Macon. Give it a rest. We all can see you're biased. Stop pretending like you're so credible and telling the full story when you leave info like that out, whether it be because of ignorance or choice. This guy really acts like only things such as CVS are moving into existing buildings downtown while things like the Arcade Bar and restaurants are popping up on Cherry Street. What a joke!

Last edited by brentyoung12; 03-30-2017 at 02:23 PM..

Old 03-30-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentyoung12 View Post
You're a hater because despite all you said there, I see you just so happen to conveniently leave out all the bars and restaurants that have recently opened in Downtown Macon. Give it a rest. We all can see you're biased. Stop pretending like you're so credible and telling the full story when you leave info like that out, whether it be because of ignorance or choice. This guy really acts like only things such as CVS are moving into existing buildings downtown while things like the Arcade Bar and restaurants are popping up on Cherry Street. What a joke!
Short answer, yes, you made that stuff up. You attacked the poster and not the post. As someone who has experienced several hand slaps in the past by those in charge here, that used to be a violation of the TOS that was not tolerated. I do not pretend to be anything, since you asked me to stop. I stated my opinion, plain and simple. Not sure why I even bother, but the CVS comment was not specific to Macon. A trend I noticed starting a couple of years ago in other downtown's in the midst of renewal. Do you have any idea how much it costs to renovate and old building up to current codes? I do. It is much much cheaper to build a box in suburbia. If Macon has a downtown arcade bar then good for Her. And new restaurants? Great news. She has some major catching up to do to keep pace.
brenty ... why all the hate? If you can learn to tolerate opinions that do not align with yours life would be so much more pleasant for you.

(An arcade bar ... the deal breaker, now that is golden. A couple of years ago I think it was Chipotle, or some other box chain eatery)

Last edited by Bulldawgfan; 03-30-2017 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: puncuation. haters gotta be accurate

Old 03-30-2017, 06:06 PM

178 posts, read 499,331 times
Quote:
Short answer, yes, you made that stuff up. You attacked the poster and not the post. As someone who has experienced several hand slaps in the past by those in charge here, that used to be a violation of the TOS that was not tolerated. I do not pretend to be anything, since you asked me to stop. I stated my opinion, plain and simple. Not sure why I even bother, but the CVS comment was not specific to Macon. A trend I noticed starting a couple of years ago in other downtown's in the midst of renewal. Do you have any idea how much it costs to renovate and old building up to current codes? I do. It is much much cheaper to build a box in suburbia. If Macon has a downtown arcade bar then good for Her. And new restaurants? Great news. She has some major catching up to do to keep pace.
brenty ... why all the hate? If you can learn to tolerate opinions that do not align with yours life would be so much more pleasant for you.

(An arcade bar ... the deal breaker, now that is golden. A couple of years ago I think it was Chipotle, or some other box chain eatery)
Notice I said several restaurants and bars. I named that as an example. Your reply implies that's the ONLY thing new and it was a "deal breaker" in order to downplay the changes in Downtown. Yes, that's misleading hate.

I mean we all cant live in fancy, rural one horse towns in South Central GA like you do, where Dollar General is the only shopping option. I've seen where you stated you stay, and oh the hypocrisy

Last edited by brentyoung12; 03-30-2017 at 06:25 PM..

Old 04-02-2017, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentyoung12 View Post
oh the hypocrisy
Hypocrisy? About 4 years ago I happened to live in a central Ga. location that, get this, had the 3rd highest school rating in the entire state. Shocker ... coming atcha ... it wasn't Bibb!
And I had the Fred's discount store to choose from also. After I paid my $400.00 per month rent for a beautiful 3/2 on 1 acre. Old pecan orchard/plantation. With a pool.
Hypocrisy abounds right there.

Once again, addition by subtraction. You choose to make Macon look good by knocking down other places. This time you picked shopping. Because, I guess, shopping options are greater than the quality of schools. Did I mention that the small rural town I lived in had very little crime? Shopping options > good schools/low crime/best rent price in my entire life.
Do you pick out your own clothes to wear or does someone lay them out for you?

Old 04-03-2017, 08:17 AM

148 posts, read 149,815 times
Quote:
With a listed CSA of 417,000 (wiki), Macon is still the smallest of the following cities, Asheville N.C., Myrtle Beach S.C., Columbus GA., Springfield, MO., Johnson City, TN., Savannah, GA and Augusta, GA..
I have spent a substantial amount of time in each of these cities. All but one of those cities list more anticipated growth than Macon. All would be way above Macon in my relocation order if required. Not even close. But again, this is just my opinion.
I had the pleasure of driving through Macon about a month ago and in fact saw a banner promoting downtown lofts. This building was on the western edge of downtown. The banner was drooping, the attached building next door had no roof and across the street was the foundation of what once was probably a factory of some sort. The large metal recycling business was just around the corner. A real chamber of commerce location. I actually applaud the renovation efforts, I really do. But saying urban renewal and actually pulling it off are two different things. If you build it, will they come? Not from my view.
I'm downtown all the time but I'm not sure of the banner you speak of...made up or not I'm not sure...but here's some updates...currently the vacancy rates in downtown lofts is in the 90 percentile...there are 2 brand new construction loft buildings currently under construction...capicorn lofts (around 140 lofts) and lofts at navicent (40 lofts)...before those they were renovating existing structures...dannenburg lofts (68 lofts I believe) lofts at silver (maybe 25) johnson lofts (maybe 25) 2 building that are condo's...both sold all condos within a year or two (7 or 8 I believe), cotton ave lofts (20ish I believe) (blair lofts 4), warehouse lofts (4-5), lofts above taste and see (4-5)..lofts at college hill (brand new around 140 lofts), lofts at poplar, poplar pointe lofts, standard rhodes lofts (12 lofts), lamar lofts (39), lofts at 401 cherry (20-30), sterchi lofts (approx 30) there's a few more buildings on 3rd street with renovated lofts buildings...these building are rented out...downtown macon is definitely pulling it off.
also another development that is getting underway later this year exchange block project with 120 room hotel, over 100 loft apartments
there may be some that I am not thinking of

Old 04-09-2017, 05:52 PM

909 posts, read 544,988 times
People attitudes toward people and places. Their outlook on life and the world are at times just an opinion that they hold on to. You can find merit or a grain of truth in almost every opinion. That's if you are an ideal level headed open minded individual. That's the point though. Most people throughout these forums that bash Macon-Bibb are closed minded and it's basically a form of negative criticism. The citizens here aren't doormats. Every city, town, micro, or village has it's share of strengths and weakness. In psychology it is regarded that everyone has strengths but actually not weaknesses. What people call being weak at something is not a weakness but is a weaker-strength. It's a weaker-strength because it is something one needs to work on. The same that goes with saying the problems that Macon has such as: crime, the school system, blight, and poverty. People often say stuff without factual truth of any informational material to back it up. People often say there are no jobs. The last I checked the Macon metro has way over 100,000 jobs. This does not include the Warner Robins metro which has over 70,000 when it comes to job count. They often say that the crime is outrageous. Macon-Bibb averages about eighteen murders a year. The last two years Savannah, Georgia has had over 50 homicides each year. The poverty level is not like that of cities out on the West Coast here in Macon. Blight is everywhere. When I say everywhere I intend on meaning all over the country. You can go down Main Street in Jeffersonville, Georgia and witness blight. Blight is actually not a bad thing (weaker-strength) because where there is blight it could be built up. Now on a real sour note the school system here is bad. Though we may need to take a closer look at what the country of Finland has done with its educational system of scraping it and bringing in a new one.

Last edited by the tiger; 04-09-2017 at 06:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon