Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2017, 12:35 PM

4 posts, read 9,697 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I've been following a few of the threads on here about the Warner Robins area. My husband and I are loosely considering relocating our family to the Warner Robins area. We live in southern Pennsylvania. My husband is originally from Harrisburg and I am from Maryland. He's a government employee. The reason that we are considering moving is because my younger brother is relocating there. Not that I follow my brother everywhere he goes, lol, but we are close. An added bonus to this is that BOTH of my husbands parents are from GA, so he has many relatives that are from and currently live in the area. My husband is also a government employee and several of his friends/ coworkers have transferred to the RAFB to work. I'm on board because 1. I don't really love where we currently live
2. I love the south. And 3. I think this could be a really good change for us.
I would really like some insight on the area. We have two school aged children, so great schools are a top priority. What's the culture like in the area? Diversity? This is another big deal for us, because where we currently live, there is a huge lack in the diversity department. It's like 90% white. More diverse in the city areas, but we would not consider moving to the city area here. We are a middle class African American family. We would love to move to an area that is nice, and pretty culturally diverse. What's he social life like there? From what I've read, it seems that the WR is pretty nice, but I'd like to get some insight from locals and transplants of possible.
What's the job market like there? I am a registered nurse. My background is in maternal child health for over 10 years. I brought this up last not because I don't need to work, but because the stability and wellbeing of my family is a top priority for me. I know that I could find a job somewhere.... ideally, I would like to find a decent paying job in a hospital or medical facility nearby in my field. Can any nurses share some insight on the pay ranges for experienced RNs? We would also hopefully purchase a home there at some point. I notice that there are lots of newer homes in that area. Any recommendations for some family friendly, nice neighborhoods? Neighborhoods to stay away from? We would likely be in around the 200k range? Maybe a little more.
I know this is a long post. Any insight, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. We are in the very beginning stages of our research. If we do end up moving, it would likely not be for another 9 months to 1 year.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 05:08 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,037,321 times
Given you and your husbands work situations, along with family considerations, if it were me, and I was in western Pa. and looking to relocate south, I would find I-81 and drive until it ended. Then I would head west on I-40 to Knoxville. I would check that place out, specifically the western side of town.
I would then head south on I-75 to Chattanooga. I would certainly recommend exploring this area, emphasis being north of the river, just north of downtown. But I would certainly check out downtown, they have made huge improvements along the river. At that point I would make sure my gas tank was full and I would head south on I-75. I would not even pause in the Atlanta area, which is somewhat of a joke ... you cannot make it through Atlanta without pausing for traffic these days. I would check out both the north side of Macon and the southern area you specifically mentioned, Warner Robins.

On the return trip back north I would recommend a different route. I would suggest you check out Augusta Ga., Greenville, S.C., AND Columbia, S.C.. Augusta seems to be growing towards the north. Greenville just seems to be growing in all directions and Columbia, well, I have not spent a lot of time there but the area seems to be doing well.

Although I see where you are just in the beginning stages of relocation, I cringe a little that you have narrowed your focus on the Warner Robins area. Thus the suggestions to search along your route to the Macon area and then back home. If there was another town/city in central Ga. that was set up like the rust belt cities in your area I cannot think of it. The base in Warner Robins employs upwards to 30,000 people, a vast majority is civilian. Point being, how the base goes, so does the area. Think Delphi in the Dayton, Oh. area or Ford in the Flint Mi. area. I was just on Robins AFB this week and I can tell you first hand that the place, over the years, has been either feast or famine, busy or quiet. Always active mind you, but clearly has its ups and downs.

I wish you well in your relocation efforts. I hope you and your family find the perfect place. As an old white dude born up north I can confidently say the there is such a thing as southern charm and it actually does start showing up around the Mason / Dixon line! That alone is worth the price of admission. After 30 plus years in the south, wild horses couldn't drag me north again.

I hope for one main thing in your efforts to improve your families well being ... that rather than just looking like most do, that you focus and see. That is where I made my mistake, I looked briefly but did not see so clear. It is easy to look, but seeing takes some effort.

Good luck Wife_Mom_RN !

Old 04-11-2017, 05:32 PM

Thanks for your reply. I don't know if we would be doing all those long car trips. We are planning to cut GA this summer though. We aren't really interested in moving to the Atlanta area. We don't necessarily have to move to the Warner Robins area. It just depends on where my husband can transfer too. There are a few government agencies in that area, so we will see

Old 04-12-2017, 06:08 PM

132 posts, read 144,084 times
There is a lot of military and medical jobs in Charleston SC as well, so it could be another good location to look into. Between Boeing, DOD, AF Coast Guard Navy and other armed forces, the Citadel for your husband, and Roper, MUSC, Trident, The VA and tons of private practices, there are a lot of hospital/medical jobs in the area. Most of our friends and neighbors here work in the medical and government fields. I have a few friends that are nurses (at hospitals) so I can ask specifically about salaries. What area of nursing are you in? The weather is great, the beaches are gorgeous and the property taxes are so low. Schools here are also great depending on what area you move to. We are sad to be leaving the area!

Old 04-16-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afk05 View Post
There is a lot of military and medical jobs in Charleston SC as well, so it could be another good location to look into. Between Boeing, DOD, AF Coast Guard Navy and other armed forces, the Citadel for your husband, and Roper, MUSC, Trident, The VA and tons of private practices, there are a lot of hospital/medical jobs in the area. Most of our friends and neighbors here work in the medical and government fields. I have a few friends that are nurses (at hospitals) so I can ask specifically about salaries. What area of nursing are you in? The weather is great, the beaches are gorgeous and the property taxes are so low. Schools here are also great depending on what area you move to. We are sad to be leaving the area!
We were specifically looking at that area, because 1. My husbands mom is from Miledgevoll, and several family members currently live in WR, and 2. My brother is planning to relocate to GA as well, but most likely the Atlanta area. My background is in Maternal Child Health ( Labor and Delivery), but I would also look into other areas. I'm kind of over bedside nursing. I don't really want to start over as a NEW floor nurse, having to works nights, weekends, holidays, etc..... I'm expecting to take a pay cut, but not sure of how much. That will play a big role in what we could look at as far as homes go.

As far as my husbands employment goes, I will pretty much follow his lead. Meaning, wherever he can transfer to, that's where I will center my search around. Again, we just kind of focused on there because he knows several people that have transferred directly from where he currently works to RAFB. It seems to be a pretty nice place, semi culturally diverse, and a decent job market, within an hours drive. I'm REALLY looking forward to the nice weather!! The town doesn't seem too small townish, but close enough to the "quiet" of you want to get away, I guess. Our current town is slightly "podunk". It's ALOT better than it was when we moved here almost 11 years ago, but my kids are still one of few, if not the only non white children in their schools. I just don't want that for them. I grew up in a very diverse community and I really appreciated it. I would love to find a nice, affordable place to live that is diverse AND good schools! Lol! Is that unrealistic? But, I also need to find a job that pays a decent wage. 😐

Old 05-15-2017, 12:05 PM

924 posts, read 2,603,224 times
So I just relocated to Warner Robins a month ago from Southern MD (PAX River NAS). I was so tired of living up north that I just took a chance and took the first job I could find South of MD.

So far I love it here. The whole town is like a giant strip mall which some people may not like but I prefer it this way. Tons of shopping and restaurants and nothing is ever more than 15 mins away. There is definitely some traffic but the infrastructure here is setup pretty well so it is always moving. You are never just just sitting through multiple gridlocked light cycles like I was back up north. I really like where I live on the outskirts to the west since it is a little quieter but still not far from all the stuff. Everything is so much cheaper here. I cannot believe how much house you can get for the money here. It is absolutely mind blowing coming from up north. Where I'm living also seems to be really family oriented and the schools are very highly rated.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:54 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
So I just relocated to Warner Robins a month ago from Southern MD (PAX River NAS). I was so tired of living up north that I just took a chance and took the first job I could find South of MD.

So far I love it here. The whole town is like a giant strip mall which some people may not like but I prefer it this way. Tons of shopping and restaurants and nothing is ever more than 15 mins away. There is definitely some traffic but the infrastructure here is setup pretty well so it is always moving. You are never just just sitting through multiple gridlocked light cycles like I was back up north. I really like where I live on the outskirts to the west since it is a little quieter but still not far from all the stuff. Everything is so much cheaper here. I cannot believe how much house you can get for the money here. It is absolutely mind blowing coming from up north. Where I'm living also seems to be really family oriented and the schools are very highly rated.
I can totally Agree with you on this one. Was in Warner Robins over the past weekend and is definitely the Diverse Bag and the Suburban Sprawl side of the Macon-Warner Robins CSA. Very diverse and Growing Suburban Area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon