Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:17 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,416,424 times

Advertisements

In the past year we've began to shop regularly at Aldi. Their mik is easily $0.60 less per gallon than Woodmans, and it's hormone free. Aldi's lead-in produce specials are pretty hard to beat too. This past weekend 4-pound bags of oranges were $0.99 and pineapples were $1.19 each, and they were all rather tasty items.

We do most of our regular shopping at Woodmans and Aldi, but only go to Copps for lead-in sale items. We'd never pay regular prices at Copps. Once you know your way around Woodmans, you can get in and out of there pretty quickly if you know what you are looking for.

The alcoholic beverage section at Woodmans is huge with great prices, especially when stuff is on sale or has manufacturer rebates. From just general observation, Woodman's seems to be cheaper for alcoholic beverages than even Costco, plus I can get in and out of Woodmans faster than Costco. It does help that Woodman's is on my way home every day and Costco is in the other direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:15 AM

15 posts, read 21,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
So I was mistaken, I was told by one of the Cub employees that it was being turned into Sentry. It's Metcalfes now.

Meh...probably nitpicking, but it's all the same company.

When I first came to Madison in the late 90s, Sentry had their store at Hilldale(plus another one on the East side, perhaps?).

Then, by the early to mid 2000s, they had become "Sentry Metcalfe's"--apparently, Metcalfe was the family name of the people who owned it.

Then, just a few years ago, they changed the names of their stores entirely over to just "Metcalfe's", and that's what the old Cub store is now called(along with the store at Hilldale).

Just an FYI.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:14 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,839 times
Interesting thread and the little "spat fight" that broke out! I'm surprised noone mentioned the Woodman's opening in the near future in Sun Prairie (looks big) that will surely alleviate traffic from the east side location.

Plenty of characters seen at Woodman's...like the guys who based on their manners, seem they were raised in a barn and some smelly folks who need to wash their coats if not outright bathe more often. I haven't really noticed groups of families though for the most part...just some generally dense people at times, who don't know how to move through the aisles amoung other unpleasantries. Oh got to love the ones who use the disabled carts who look perfectly able bodied and then ask you to grab all thier groceries.

I've actually only been to Hyvee thrice, but they are very friendly and it only took them seconds to personally ask me if I needed help which makes me think they scout out new business hoping to get a keeper. Hey they have two redbox stands inside. Funny though a "brother" hit me up at the entrance and I don't know if he was going to ask me for money or a date (called me sweetie or something) but I completely ignored him so will never know.

I never cared much for Cubs and you used to have to bag your own there. They look like an empty waste land sitting all cleared out next to Walmart off Nakoosa. Wonder what will become of the building?

Copps has it's purpose and very friendly experiences especially at the Aberg location, but I like a value, so use them more occasionally.

The Super Walmart on South side is fun once in a while but still priced higher than Woodmans for many things. Target really isn't a value but nice to stop in, if there already or in a hurry. Sentry is over priced but I like a few of their products and they will do in a pinch.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:21 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,416,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Jones View Post
When I first came to Madison in the late 90s, Sentry had their store at Hilldale(plus another one on the East side, perhaps?).
I'm not sure about the East side, but there was a Sentry on Allen Blvd. in Middleton during that time. It's been gone for a few years now. Metcalfe's probably concentrated their efforts into spiffing up the Hilldale location rather than retaining a store in Middleton.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:55 PM

114 posts, read 325,985 times
There is still a Sentry on Cottage Grove Rd a few blocks east of Stoughton Rd. I don't believe it has anything to do with Metcalfe's. They (Metcalfe's) were potential buyers of the one in Middleton, but I don't believe they ended up with it before it closed. The stores at Hilldale and now West Towne may be named Metcalfe's, but they are still affiliated with Sentry. Not all Sentry stores are Metcalfe's. My guess is Metcalfe's are not using Sentry in the name of their stores because it is a dying brand and does not suit their image as a higher-end grocery store.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:56 PM

149 posts, read 315,285 times
I took a watermelon back to Woodman's once. I told the cashier to smell it. They took my word on it and gave me refund (it was expensive and it smelled like fish after I cut it open).

Old 01-26-2012, 12:48 AM

83 posts, read 232,320 times
wow, Drover. Just noticed your stats. Thats alot of activity.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:46 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,890,349 times
Metcalfe is a family that happens to own grocery stores. Sentry is the brand of store they bought. They're not the same company, nor are all Sentrys Metcalfe's. Sentry is a franchise. Metcalfes are franchise owners. Metcalfes probably use their name on their stores instead of just calling them Sentry because they liked their customers from way back when they owned a mom and pop grocery store, to associate their "new" Sentry with their old market. And it's continued, undoubtedly because they have a good reputation with their stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison