Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 12:35 PM

298 posts, read 579,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Partisan story that reflects a lot of Madison bias.
So two guys leave a business for greener pastures - big deal. Happens every day in the real world.

Diminished tenure and loss of shared governance….The benefits of centralizing and consolidating power always appear attractive until the pendulum swings the other way…..

http://www.newsweek.com/what-will-be...-tenure-341442
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 01:31 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,315,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele115 View Post
Yes, with an emphasis on GREENER PASTURES. More highly educated, innovative, and resourceful professionals will take their intellects, innovation, doctoral students, and grant money to where the pastures are greener. Glad it's no big deal that the verdant pastures of Wisconsin are diminishing.
And the loss of greenery in general--pastures and forests--could be even worse. Items inserted into the proposed budget include defunding state parks (relying on user fees instead) and increased logging in state forests. These politicians are corrupt.

Budget surprises: Items inserted with little or no public input

Old 06-11-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Diminished tenure and loss of shared governance….The benefits of centralizing and consolidating power always appear attractive until the pendulum swings the other way…..

http://www.newsweek.com/what-will-be...-tenure-341442
Yes. Diminished tenure means that UW will become less competitive in a key area versus other states. And loss of shared governance means that core academic decisions lie more in the hands of politicians and bureaucrats than in the hands of actual academics. What a mess. Even backward states like Texas are making better decisions.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:49 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times

The Sky is falling! The Sky is falling!

Old 06-11-2015, 02:54 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,860,262 times
Quote:
Yes, with an emphasis on GREENER PASTURES. More highly educated, innovative, and resourceful professionals will take their intellects, innovation, doctoral students, and grant money to where the pastures are greener. Glad it's no big deal that the verdant pastures of Wisconsin are diminishing.
These two guys will be replaced.
Neither you nor I know if the replacements will be better or worse.
Probably some of each as is usually the case.

It would be pure conjecture on your part if you postulate differently.

A few of you just want so hard to believe that the UW is such a weak system that one "bad" governor is going to destroy it. I doubt that very much. But have your fun complaining.

Articles posted are from people in the system. Perhaps they are just too comfortable and maybe are just greedy.

I thought liberals didn't like greedy folk.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
These two guys will be replaced.
Neither you nor I know if the replacements will be better or worse.
Probably some of each as is usually the case.

It would be pure conjecture on your part if you postulate differently.

A few of you just want so hard to believe that the UW is such a weak system that one "bad" governor is going to destroy it. I doubt that very much. But have your fun complaining.

Articles posted are from people in the system. Perhaps they are just too comfortable and maybe are just greedy.

I think UW is a great system. Though I know that salaries are 20-30% lower than peer institutions, and with the change in tenure/governance, people will indeed seek out greener pastures.

I don't think this will destroy the system, but I do think it will diminish it's stature in the long run. But hey, you don't seem worried, so I hope it works out for y'all. BTW, I'm not a liberal - not sure why you made that assumption? Rather, I'm interested in this via a business model where top talent goes where they are best compensated, and what happens to organizations where talent is devalued and demoralized. But again…glad you aren't concerned and I hope it works out for your state.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post

This is actually funny…

Yes, it can seem like an overreaction, but I do think the issues are serious and will have some negative impact on UW.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:27 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:

When the sky actually falls its too late to fix it, you're dead.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:29 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:

Most of us like smart investments. Investing in education and infrastructure creates large net positive returns. Shortchanging them the opposite.

I thought conservatives wanted to not waste money and get the most return for their dollars?

Old 06-11-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:

Either that, or the GOP and its supporters don't know much about education, how the industry really works, and what the real consequences are when certain policies are implemented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison