Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 09:07 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Bumping this thread as I visited Madison last week, and as I drove around I struggled to find an area that really spoke to me as I am anticipating a potential job offer in the next few weeks and wanted to scope it out.

Are there areas of affluence that aren't solely just lakefront, or is it somewhat scattered all over?

I will likely rent to start out with because of the high prices and high mortgage rates now, so I know that limits us a bit, but my asks are:

- avoiding vinyl villages (cheaply built neighborhood homes with vinyl siding that all look the same)
- would like newer construction (last 5-ish years) but better quality than the vinyl hoods
- maybe a condo or apartment with ~ 2k sq ft
- hopefully with some walkability to grocery/drugstore
- without students (at least those who are loud/mischievous) I'm fine with quiet grad students for example.
- low on the ambient city noise so I can work from home sometimes in peace
- safe to walk around at night (although from my last 2 visits I have never really felt unsafe anywhere in the city) - I see people talking about crime increasing there, but I'm coming from Seattle, which, like Portland, has turned into a he||hole. I saw nothing like what I've seen in those cities or SF.

I have some close friends that live on Lake Monona and in visiting them last week I was struck by how old and not really modernized/updated their house was for an $800k house on the lake. It was in a neighborhood with some obviously renovated and rebuilt and really nice properties, but even driving on W Broadway before getting to Bridge Rd was somewhat dilapidated looking - not what I'd expect when 5 minutes away from near $1M homes.

The job would be in Middleton, but I don't mind a 30 minute commute, so it seems like I could really live anywhere in the metro area if it was decent, right? Where would you recommend?
There are a number of newer condo and apartment properties in Sun Prairie right up the road from Monona off Hwy 151. That area is generally not as upscale as what you would find on the lakefront of Monona, but has a good amount of amenities within a short driving distance along with more reasonable price points. Construction quality is middle of the road, downside being less walkable and more suburban. It has a decent number of things by itself and a shorter drive to Madison. On the west side of town off University Ave, Middleton would have a number of condos and apartments at a higher price range, along with some really high end offerings by Lake Mendota. Further up on E Washington Ave, further up to the north on the isthmus, that area is rapidly gentrifying with many condo and apartment towers everywhere- generally catering to the Epic workers- company is headquartered in Verona, on the southwest side of the metro. Waunakee is also a very nice area, but is mostly SFH, suburban, and smaller town feel. Hope that gives you a few other things to consider. I don't visit the area as frequently, but know some people there and worked at company in the area between 2012-2015.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 11:25 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,656,100 times
I don't think updating is as common in this area. Good enough is fine for most.

Old 11-21-2022, 02:02 PM

8,491 posts, read 8,774,574 times
Only 4% of homes in Madison were built in last 8 years, just 7% in last 12 years.

Not much new built since 2008 in many / most places beyond the hot growth spots.

Old 11-21-2022, 07:59 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Only 4% of homes in Madison were built in last 8 years, just 7% in last 12 years.

Not much new built since 2008 in many / most places beyond the hot growth spots.
There has certainly been more new construction in the outlying areas that include: Verona, Sun Prairie, Waunakee, and Middleton.

Old 11-23-2022, 12:52 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,705,281 times
Unless there's a tear down on a city lot, there isn't going to be much new development within Madison neighborhoods. The new housing has always been out towards Sun Prairie and the other neighboring towns in the farmland. if you want a new construction single family home, that's where you go.

Old 11-24-2022, 07:05 AM

53 posts, read 32,476 times
If you are looking for modern, Madison isn’t the place for you imo. It is more traditional so even if you built a new house, you’d still be surrounded by people whose values misalign with your own and I doubt you’d feel it was a good fit culturally for you. Madisonians are good people with strong communal values, that in general don’t care if they live in an outdated house because they are more concerned with surviving -20 winters rather than superficiality. I think you’d be very happy in CA, TX, or AZ - maybe apply there for jobs. Good luck!

Old 11-25-2022, 07:05 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,656,100 times
By far most new construction is mid-rise multi-family. Generally downtown and expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison