Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 02:59 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times

Advertisements

Looking at the ad for rental house in Richmond, ME, it describes the town like this:

About half the population of approximately 3200 people live in the well-defined village. Although a small town, Richmond's local government is able to efficiently provide us with big town services. An efficient highway department cannot be beat for keeping roads open and in good repair. The police department provides around the clock coverage. Modern fire stations and firefighting equipment are put to use by one of the State's best volunteer forces. The schools have shown remarkable improvement over the last several years. No matter how you measure it Richmond is a wonderful place to live.

First of all, is that pretty accurate?

Secondly, see that bit I highlighted in red? "The schools have shown a remarkable improvement." Does that mean Richmond has a reputation for bad schools? How am I supposed to take that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 06:40 PM

Looking at Greatschools.net (which is not the be all and end all of knowledge in schools), they rate the Elementary and High school pretty decent, but their rating for the Middle school is really pitiful.

Any idea why???

Old 07-16-2007, 06:47 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
oh...I have an issue with greatschools.net....it is not accurate for Maine schools! From what I understand the ratings depend upon people reporting. With Maine's low population and the fact that the word is not getting out about this site, we don't stand a chance. All we need is ONE unhappy, disgruntled parent and everything goes down the tubes. Does the school dept have a website you could check? Could you call the superintendent's office and bug the secretary for some answers? I've never been to Richmond, but I can say that site is highly inaccurate for us!

Old 07-16-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Could you call the superintendent's office and bug the secretary for some answers?
Good suggestion!

That initial description of the rental I found just raised my eyebrows. "Our schools have shown great improvement in recent years." What does that mean? Have decent schools gotten better? Or does Richmond have a reputation for bad schools that they have been trying to fix?

Enquiring mind wants to know!

Old 05-19-2009, 03:42 PM

15 posts, read 53,335 times
I am new on this, how do I post a question?

Thanks

I am currently living in AZ, I really really want to move...I have not traveled many states, so any info would be great! My husband is a teacher...is there a job market for him? Is the cost of living way higher than AZ? What is the weather like year round, I live in the desert so I am used to basically HOT all the time
What is the city like? I am really looking for a small town feel to raise my children in, always been my dream! Az Phx area is just getting too big...plus not digging the heat so much anymore...summer is already here!
Also, Andy other states that you have info on please send it my way, I am totally clueless!

Thanks again, and sorry I had to post my question on your question.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:06 PM

162 posts, read 400,437 times
Mark S., Richmond is a nice town, with a pretty setting a revitalized downtown. Some amazing old houses. Good local representatives. Well worth checking out. I don't know much about the schools except that their sports teams seem to do quite well and have a good sportsmanship reputation.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:40 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,864 times
Hi
Maine summers are wonderful; Maine winters can be very cold and challenging especially for someone used to AZ. You might want to try a state that has more moderate changes of seasons before jumping from the furnace into the freezer. Of course, if you're up for the challenge, go for it. How many years teaching experience does your husband have?

Old 05-19-2009, 05:38 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
richmond is a nice little town on the kennebec river id recommend it,,,, ive had many friends that kids go to the richmond schools, never heard a complaint,,,

bowdoin, bowdoinham, litchfield,dresden, south gardiner are neighboring towns,,,,all very nice areas

Old 05-19-2009, 05:39 PM

15 posts, read 53,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Hi
Maine summers are wonderful; Maine winters can be very cold and challenging especially for someone used to AZ. You might want to try a state that has more moderate changes of seasons before jumping from the furnace into the freezer. Of course, if you're up for the challenge, go for it. How many years teaching experience does your husband have?
What would be a better place to try? My husband has been teaching for almost 4 years now. I am so tired of the heat, but you are right I do not want to go straight to freezing either!

Old 06-03-2009, 07:09 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,864 times
Hi
Well with climate in mind, the North Carolina mountains (quite a large area to choose from) are similar to Maine, but the winters are much shorter. There are four distinct seasons and the summers are milder than in other areas of NC. Where does the proximity to the ocean fit into your ideas of a great place to live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine