Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 03:33 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times

Advertisements

My least favorite agricultural fair, The Topsham Fair, starts on Sunday.

WHY they have an agricultural fair at the beginning of August is beyond me. They should call it the green pumpkin or green tomato fair! Heck the good corn isn't even in! The exhibition hall will be filled with an abundance of immature carrots, tiny potatoes, green onions, tiny summer squash, baby beets and pickling cukes by the bushel. At least the rhubarb in the pie is still fresh!

This year will be exciting I'm sure with the return of the NWA Pro Wrestlers to the fair.......(Oh Boy!)
http://www.timesrecord.com/articles/2010/08/06/news/doc4c5c31560a257833322759.txt (broken link)

The weather promises to be in the high 70's and low 80's giving everyone that " crisp fall harvest" feeling.

If you happen to be in the area now and will not be here for any of the real agricultural fairs next month and October and you also happen to love rickety old rides, Red Neck Truck Pulls (their title not mine!), pro-wrestling, demolition derbies, and the several "C" rated country-western stars they have lined up then by all means pay the gate fee of $7.00 a head and whoop it up!

http://www.topshamfair.net/

Last edited by Maineah; 08-06-2010 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: more exciting info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 04:07 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times
Uh, I think I'll be washing my hair on Sunday. Bummer.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:49 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,465,461 times
I'd rather take poison.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:45 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Though, I worked in Topsham for 3 yrs, i never went to the fair, the townsfolk said it was ok- but fairs
are what you make of them, not much lures me to them at my age, i use to like the greasy smell of fried dough as a kid and we use to love the rides- when my son was young, i brought him to a few fairs, for some rides and games- today, i think the entrance fees are wayyy too high, as are the rides and food,- i may be more interested in the agriculture side of the fairs today, but again, i despise entrance fees. (yes, i know they need the monies to cover expenses) but to feel you got gouged at the front gate-puts a cloud on the whole thing (it's the principle)

Old 08-07-2010, 06:03 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
Lately, for the past 5 years or so my favorite fair has been the Clinton Lions Fair. It is more like an old fashioned country fair than any I have been to in Maine. Last time we went a couple years ago the admission was only $4. The have tractor pull, many farm animals, local music great food and even a small mid-way. I enjoyed it way more than the Bangor State Fair and the Skowhegan one. Blue Hill Fair is good too over Labor Day Weekend. Please don't forget the "American Folk Festival" which is totally different from from the Fairs - no animals or midway - but great food and wonderful music - craft venders as well. Admission is FREE but donations appreciated. August 20 - 23 I believe but check those dates on line to be sure. And if you are looking for another nice fair in September, there is the Common Ground Fair which is lots of animals, music food and crafts. Unity Maine.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:47 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times
I have really enjoyed the American Folk Festival and the Common Ground Fair in the past. I'm looking forward to them this year now that we're back in Maine.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:43 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
I do like a good agricultural fair.....in the fall, when most things are harvested. Not summer. Cumberland Fair comes the 3rd week of September. We go over and bet a few bucks on the horses, have some frenchfries and maybe a clamcake or two, always the goat milk fudge,take a look at the giant pumpkins and squash,walk through the animal exhibits, look at the miniature horses, walk through the exhibition hall, take in a horse or oxen pull ,walk down back to see what's new in tractors and snow machines, check out the antique engine display,watch them make old fashioned apple boxes, check out the blacksmith, watch them saw logs with a portable mill, have some cider, and call it a night! It's a nice way to spend a fall afternoon and evening. I understand the Country music (though not a fan) but I don't know what the draw is to Pro Wrestlers, or demolition derbies. It sounds like Topsham Fair is run by a bunch of nit wits.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:10 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,465,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I do like a good agricultural fair.....in the fall, when most things are harvested. Not summer. Cumberland Fair comes the 3rd week of September. We go over and bet a few bucks on the horses, have some frenchfries and maybe a clamcake or two, always the goat milk fudge,take a look at the giant pumpkins and squash,walk through the animal exhibits, look at the miniature horses, walk through the exhibition hall, take in a horse or oxen pull ,walk down back to see what's new in tractors and snow machines, check out the antique engine display,watch them make old fashioned apple boxes, check out the blacksmith, watch them saw logs with a portable mill, have some cider, and call it a night! It's a nice way to spend a fall afternoon and evening. I understand the Country music (though not a fan) but I don't know what the draw is to Pro Wrestlers, or demolition derbies. It sounds like Topsham Fair is run by a bunch of nit wits.
Nit wits for sure! It has lost $$$ for the last 10 years and I have no idea how or why they keep it going each year. I'll take in Woodsman's Day at Fryeburg every year but as far as the rest, other than Cumberland, no thanks. I don't mind paying the entrance fee to Fryeburg, it's around $8 but you can find more than enough stuff to keep you busy for the entire day. How about those people that come in their huge RV's and stay across the street for the entire week? They are like a cult! Wow, talk about fair overkill. ( yes, I realize many of them are working a booth there or have livestock there, but there are just as many that just vacation there for the week) Also, how much money do you suppose those people that live right there within 3 miles of the entrance make each year by allowing fair-goers to park in their yards for the day? Guessing.... several thousand dollars for the week at $5-$8 a pop. Some of them even bring in Porta Potties for the week, how thoughtful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine