Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 02:48 PM

103 posts, read 194,316 times

Advertisements

Please feel free to move this if this isn't the right place to post this, but I was wondering if there are any devout Catholics in this forum and what do you think of your parishes up there in Maine?

We are in NJ and coming from a very active Parish with lots of families and children (We have 6!). I worry that when we get there we won't find the same kind of parish life as we have here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 04:05 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
I would venture to guess there are as much if not more catholic churches in Maine as any other denomination

maine has large french influence, and many are catholics

It's also safe to say that in most maine towns or cities the largest churches are probly catholic

like this one (link)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilic...ewiston,_Maine)

Old 10-29-2010, 04:38 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
We love our parish in Brunswick. There is a K-6 Catholic school in Brunswick, and Catholic high schools in Portland and Lewiston.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:54 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,677,040 times
John Bapst is an excellent Catholic High School in Bangor.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:52 PM

973 posts, read 2,380,946 times
Check out the Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul in Lewiston if you want to see an awesome church. You'd swear it's something that was moved there from Europe. You can see it in street view on google map. If you move to "the valley" which is St John Valley in Aroostook County, you will find over 90% of the folks are Catholic and the communities revolve around the local Catholic church. St Benedict's Church in Benedicta has quite a story to it. The town of Benedicta was developed by Bishop Fenwick who was the arch Bishop of Boston. He had hopes of starting a catholic university and wanted a catholic community for it's establishment. Catholic families were recruited to settle in the half township of Benedicta. Many came from Nova Scotia, some from Germany, some from Ireland. The town became a beautiful farming community centered around the church, but the powers that be in Boston felt the community was too far removed from Boston. They chose Worchester, Mass for the Catholic University...it's still there today...Holy Cross. So the end of the story is there is a very strong Catholic influence in Maine. The Cathedral in Portland is beautiful, I don't know about the parish community, but bet it's thriving.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:17 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,664,202 times
Plenty of Catholics in Maine.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:56 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,311 times
I had a Catholic grandfather who lived in Maine. He started a business to deliver donuts and coffee to several factories around the Skowhegan/Norridgewok area in the 60's. He was the first one to do it. He would get up at 3 in the morning and work 'till noon. He made lots of money and was respected in the community. He was 57 when he started his business. Did it for many years.

When me and my Protestant sisters would visit them as children, they would take us to their church on Sunday. Later, as a reward, they would take us to Woolworth's and buy us something. I always equated Catholic with rewards.

Seriously, there are many like-minded people in Maine. What's next on your list?

Old 10-29-2010, 10:23 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellym_40 View Post
Please feel free to move this if this isn't the right place to post this, but I was wondering if there are any devout Catholics in this forum and what do you think of your parishes up there in Maine?
Sorry, but I call hypocrisy on this statement. (Don't mean to come off rude).

I know Catholics and their appears to be quite a fissure in the unwritten system of the overall level of "devoutness" as you claim.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:30 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post

I know Catholics and their appears to be quite a fissure in the unwritten system of the overall level of "devoutness" as you claim.

Nobody else has seems to be taken it that way- maybe thats why they are looking at Maine and not n.h

anyone can "read" into statements-

The question to me is- are thier many catholics churches in maine?? and the answer is absolutely yes!

I could "infer" more into the original question (I've been called a fallen out catholic, because i dont go to church, except for weddings and funerals)
but thats me, and why inflame controversy??

Old 10-30-2010, 06:19 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post

What??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine