Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:59 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times

Advertisements

All Senators were sworn in yesterday at about 10 AM except the senator from Franklin County. "He was downstairs tending the fires." It seems the fact that it happened back in the 1800s was the subject of some amusement at the time and senators from Franklin County have done it ever since. He is sworn in after he returns to the chamber and so it was again this session. All three surviving former senators from Franklin County were there to ensure the tradition carried on. Even back in the 1800s it was typical for a rural Maine citizen to pitch in and do what needed doing, even tending the fires in the statehouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 04:24 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
All Senators were sworn in yesterday at about 10 AM except the senator from Franklin County. "He was downstairs tending the fires." It seems the fact that it happened back in the 1800s was the subject of some amusement at the time and senators from Franklin County have done it ever since. He is sworn in after he returns to the chamber and so it was again this session. All three surviving former senators from Franklin County were there to ensure the tradition carried on. Even back in the 1800s it was typical for a rural Maine citizen to pitch in and do what needed doing, even tending the fires in the statehouse.
neat tradition!

Old 12-02-2010, 05:32 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Could be.

DOT dug it up again this year during 'road-construction' season, but it will pop up again in a few weeks.

Last year DOT lowered that heave and when it popped up again it bent a rim on my DW's new car.

Suspensions are weird things. I find that my new truck will 'yaw' to port about 15 degrees everytime it gets airborne on a good heave, and it is very consistent.

Straight flat level road, I can be driving well centered in my lane, and everytime as I come back down and make contact with the pavement the truck will have yawed to port.

Now that I am used to it, it does not catch me by surprise anymore.
and depending on the heave, you cant hit them head on, but on a slight angle
and this has to be done sober

Old 12-02-2010, 08:39 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
LOL You KNOW you live in rural Maine when folks not only navigate by the frost heaves, but folks who don't even live on that road can reference them!

I learned about them first hand on our arrival in ME; I was driving a rented moving truck with my pickup on a trailer behind. Pickup was loaded with odds and ends there was nowhere else to put... and I must have put that second broom into orbit, actually. (The first one ended it suborbital flight nearby and we recovered it on a subsequent trip; the second was never seen again!)
LOL, I travel one particular road here that has quite a few. I was aware of them, even the first winter I was here, but one morning I was on my way into town to have some front-end work done on the truck and, lo and behold, a bright orange sign that said "Frost Heave" had appeared where there wasn't one before. I said to myself "Well, no $h!# Sherlock, sh what else is new?" and continued on my merry way without reducing my speed.

The sign *should* have said 'Caution, Launch Pad Ahead'. I went full airborn, and when I landed all the stuff that hadn't been broken before was ruined, including snapping off both shocks and the battery retainers and cracking the battery. My expected $400 repair bill jumped to $1,000. At least I was on my way to the shop anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Could be.

DOT dug it up again this year during 'road-construction' season, but it will pop up again in a few weeks.

Last year DOT lowered that heave and when it popped up again it bent a rim on my DW's new car.

Suspensions are weird things. I find that my new truck will 'yaw' to port about 15 degrees everytime it gets airborne on a good heave, and it is very consistent.

Straight flat level road, I can be driving well centered in my lane, and everytime as I come back down and make contact with the pavement the truck will have yawed to port.

Now that I am used to it, it does not catch me by surprise anymore.
Mine does the same thing, and when it comes down it tends to skitter a little more off-center because the suspension is so stiff- heavy-duty springs plus helper air bags and 10-ply tires with 60lbs of pressure. I can (and have) put upwards of 2 tons of weight in it. It takes some getting used to.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:30 AM

71 posts, read 173,446 times
Frost heaves? I thought those were the 'gentle, rolling hills' of Northern Maine

Old 12-03-2010, 07:23 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I like the little 'bump' signs.

They make you wonder; is it like an air-hose? Or is it more like a sidewalk curb?

Old 12-03-2010, 07:26 AM

264 posts, read 759,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine2010 View Post
Hi everyone -

I am lovng this thread more and more each day My family and I are moving to the far northern edge of Old Town tomorrow and couldn't be more excited! Looks like we won't be too far from "Forest" and "Starwalker"!

Thanks to everyone for this thread!
I'm close as well! I substitute teach in that district very often. (few times a week) Any kids gonna be in the schools? Welcome to Maine!

Old 12-03-2010, 07:33 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Good to hear from you, NJ2ME. I knew you would fit in.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:56 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
you know you're in maine when you come upon a car that's broken down and many will stop and offer a hand, or to call a local wrecker- also, i've seen many times when coming to an intersection- a car has its flashers on and instead of laying on the horn or the one fingered wave- many will pull over and give the fella a hand pushing the car to the side of the road-out of harms way

a few years back, i went slightly off the road in unity in an ice storm, I was stuck-an old truck slowly passed, then backed up, 2 guys got out hooked a chain to my front end and pulled me out- i tried to give them some money for there efforts- but they wouldnt take it

Old 12-04-2010, 01:46 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,174 times
Last year while having the septic tank emptied, the service truck got stuck in our yard with three quarters of it's capicity filled so the truck was kind of heavy. It would have cost a lot for them to get it unstuck so I asked a neighbor if he could help with one of his toys, I mean tractors. He wasn't home so I went to town and asked another acquaintance and he showed up with something that pulled this septic truck out like it was a vw bug. And he said that it wasn't even close to being his biggest equipment. Then the other neighbor showed up and said he was sorry he wasn't home. He would have loved to bring one of his toys, I mean tractors down to pull the truck out. The guy that pulled the septic truck out just unhooked it and went back to town never asking for a dime. The septic driver did however promise to me to thank him some day and pay it forward. He knew this guy anyway as he has a good reputaion in town.

Reputation means something in Maine. When you live in rural Maine, you will find out a persons or businesses reputation as surely as you will find all the competion in that area. People do talk in rural Maine and that is either good or bad depending on the situation. The alternative is to live in a suburb or city where you will probably not know all or many of your neighbors. Again, that may be either good or bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine